Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dealing with People Stealing my own Software. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dealing with People Stealing my own Software.

2»

Comments

• @drmike said: I see that you mentioned contacting the host and the bandwidth provider. I think you may have skipped a step. Have you contacted and DMCA'ed the datacenter?

I've contacted the server providers, will go a step further (DCs BurstNET and whoever Jag use), if it isn't resolved.

• @Daniel said: A Minecraft Control Panel and a SolusVM Reseller Framework

@NickM said: Take this as a lesson that you need to protect your copyrighted code that you're not releasing under a free software license. I recommend IonCube for any PHP code. It's unfortunate that people would blatantly violate your copyright like this, but it's a fact of life in the software world, and unless you're a big company that can afford to take people to court, you're just going to have to deal with it.

I develop web based code as well and securing scripts is always a problem. Even with Ion, if someone wants it bad enough, then they will get it.
    So what I tend to do now is just host all the code myself. Get a nice hosting package at a place you know is going to have 100% uptime (rackspace cloud/linode are good), and then create subdomains for each client that only allow their white listed domain/IP.
    Yes you do have to provide more maintenance/support, but in return you also have recurring clients. (I would rather get $50 per month per client, then $250 upfront).

And as others have said, just treat this as a learning experience... Move forward with more knowledge and never give out code without first getting payment, or always host the code yourself.

• Sorta good news.

It looks like JaguarPC came on him like a ton of bricks, he is claiming that he will remove the infringing content on "Monday" and he also told a friend of myn on the phone that he is releasing a replacement for the infringing content on "Monday", sorta weird how they coincide.

He apparently has no access to a PC according to Twitter, although I'm pretty sure Android has a SSH Client, or at least use the Terminal since who dosen't have a rooted Android phone.

He also deleted loads of the post he made on social network sites I was using as further evidence, however I had them all screenshotted.

• Rather surprised. Not that I would have done so but I would have just moved hosts to get away from the "prying eyes".

• He better feel ashamed for himself and fix it, he must at least care for reputation, or no one will trust in hosting.

• Doubt it. None of us trade bad customer names. You may be aware of your client but the rest of us aren't.

• Colohost.co is a blackmailer no a real host, Just a reseller, see their real face here
    http://i42.tinypic.com/693qcj.jpg
    http://i43.tinypic.com/20iguw5.jpg

• kevinkevin Member
    edited December 2011

gdhnoc - i am not a reseller, get your facts right.

And i never posted on your client area.

Thank you.

• Also, on the note of this topic colorhost.co (and net) does not steal software, and it was dealt with when i received the DMCA.

Thank you.

• @DanielM
    are you stupid, Margaret Thatcher ruined UKs economy. She closed all the mines etc.. Thats why we now produce little to nothing.
    She started this whole mess and gordon brown is doing a terrible job at cleaning it up.

• @EaseVPS said: gordon brown is doing a terrible job at cleaning it up.

I dont think gordon brown has the job of cleaning up anymore.

• David Cameron is much better then that Tony Blair or Gordon Brown,

And to be honest, everyone in the UK is glad he's pissed off the French again (apart from labour).

I can't wait till a referendum to leave the EU, no more will the French get what they want (power over the UK).

Margaret Thatcher did the things that needed to be done, good and bad. The conservatives may look like a big group of bollocks, and their plans are pretty horrid, but its the only thing that works.

• @Daniel said: no more will the French get what they want (power over the UK).

For what reason does France want to control the UK? And what evidence do you have to support that thesis?

• @gsrdgrdghd said: For what reason does France want to control the UK? And what evidence do you have to support that thesis?

The French and British never get along, recently their French president basically called the prime minister an idiot for vetoing the EU treaty which would of caused a tax on transactions of Europe, but 80% of them tax would come from the UK, which doesn't even use the Euro.

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

@Daniel said: would of caused a tax on transactions of Europe, but 80% of them tax would come from the UK, which doesn't even use the Euro.

The tax has nothing to do with the Euro. It's just a misconfiguration of the EU that the UK has so less contributions to the institution but equal powers in comparison to the other big contributors.