Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean (4 cores/8 GB) vs RunAbove XL3 (4 cores / 16 GB) vs Vultr (4 cores / 8 GB) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean (4 cores/8 GB) vs RunAbove XL3 (4 cores / 16 GB) vs Vultr (4 cores / 8 GB)

Comments

• @Gulf said:

if you want to know earlier some benchmark, try watching our market: http://www.domflow.it/market.php

For example, for strasbourg
    http://www.domflow.it/market-strasbourg.php

if you press on score 1848.6 you see full results http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2015/07/23/xYUXZvd8Md9BFTdR

For every location you had a performance score and if you press on score you see detailed benchmark result.

This can help you to choose better cpu speed location.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

sin said: if you end up with a 2.4GHz core just redeploy.

Yep. It may take a few iteration, but should manage to get one in the end, at least that was so a month ago.

Thanked by 1sin
  • GulfGulf Member
    edited August 2015

Thank you all for answers and votes.
    Currently run DigitalOcean, will try on Vult, RunAbove, OVH Labs and compare performance.

• Hetzner Server auction.

• @Gulf - When you spin up these instances can you run Geekbench on each and publish the results. I did some benchmarking on there, you'll find them under my user 'markturner' but good to see more

• GulfGulf Member

@4n0nx said:
    Hetzner Server auction.

Yep, another great idea. But Hetzner sells old hardware, OVH sells super new, just to test it. If I have time to wait, i will buy OVH.

• @Gulf - what are you actually running on these servers? i7 maybe more suited to some of these workloads than E5s

• Gulf said: Yep, another great idea. But Hetzner sells old hardware, OVH sells super new, just to test it. If I have time to wait, i will buy OVH.

Eh? You just want to make the CPU sweat, not admire the shiny hardware with no dust on it, right? :P

• GulfGulf Member
    edited August 2015

@4n0nx said:
    Eh? You just want to make the CPU sweat, not admire the shiny hardware with no dust on it, right? :P

Just compare

https://robot.your-server.de/order/market/country/OTHER

http://www.soyoustart.com/fr/innovation-zone/hardware/

Xeon E3-1231v3 just for 12.99€

• GulfGulf Member

@MarkTurner said:
    Gulf - what are you actually running on these servers? i7 maybe more suited to some of these workloads than E5s

Web crawler. It loads a full page and executes javascript.
    With DO I can process around 600-1k pages per minute.
    I need a good cpu and fast bandwidth.

• Gulf said: Web crawler. It loads a full page and executes javascript. With DO I can process around 600-1k pages per minute. I need a good cpu and fast bandwidth.

Is this for personal use or part of a project? In the past month, we have been renting servers by the chassis load to people wanting to do exactly that. I have not tracked down what the project is. Can you PM me more info, and also I'd like to test performance on two configurations we have setup for these 'crawler' apps.

• GulfGulf Member

@MarkTurner said:
    Is this for personal use or part of a project? In the past month, we have been renting servers by the chassis load to people wanting to do exactly that. I have not tracked down what the project is. Can you PM me more info, and also I'd like to test performance on two configurations we have setup for these 'crawler' apps.

It is one of our projects. Once a month I need to scan hundreds of new domains and then kill the server. Cloud server is cost effective for this tasks.
    This app is optimized and smart, but I have to run around 40 instances of this app to process a large amount of pages.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited August 2015

Vultr dropped the MHZ on their CPUs... And they increased the prices.

Less bang for my buck, I'll be looking for another KVM/Xen host.

• GulfGulf Member

GeekBenches

DigitalOcean 4 CPU / 80$
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3185328

DigitalOcean 8 CPU / 160$
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3185943

What do you think about DO offers?

• Gulf said: What do you think about DO offers?

Slow, I will give you some comparisons in a couple of hours.

• trvztrvz Member

This is parallelizable work. Looking at 16 core plans, Vultr is 256$/month, DO 480$/month, Linode 480$/month. Vultr uses decent 2.4 GHz CPUs (E5 v3), DO the low-powered version of it (exactly the same, but 1.8 GHz). Linode uses 2.5 GHz E5 v3, but their host servers are more contended and they don't like to see big instances spun up for short amount of times and their CPU resources fully used during that as much.
    Runabove isn't a suitable competitor. OVH's cloud has 16 cores for 240$/month, but you'd have to deal with their bad interface and the server is limited to 250 Mb/s.

I could go on with other providers, but Vultr is optimal for this task, so it'd be a waste of time.

• What about iwstack? @Maounique

• trvz said: Vultr uses decent 2.4 GHz CPUs (E5 v3)

they are not decent. they are slow..

• TarZZ92 said: they are not decent. they are slow..

I've been sacked as some of my posts lack a bias towards Vultr. @trvz is here to replace me.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@TarZZ92 said:
    they are not decent. they are slow..

I mean lets be honest though, with the way you judge CPUs a Pentium 4 4.0GHz is more powerful than anything :P

Thanked by 4J1021 trvz Lee Dylan
  • @kcaj said:
    I've been sacked as some of my posts lack a bias towards Vultr. trvz is here to replace me.

Team up and the both of you will be unbeatable! ;-)

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited August 2015

Amitz said: Team up and the both of you will be unbeatable! ;-)

25/07/2015

[15:26:43] tankenmate i'm still seeing ~90% packet loss to FRA ipv6

[15:27:15] VultrDave thats unfortunate for the 3 people using ipv6

and 11/08/2015

[17:19:49] devicenull the openbsd documentation would be your best bet. there's nothing really specific to vultr about enabling ipv6

[17:20:04] ule devicenull: thanks so much for the info..

[17:20:23] ule I didn't know about this slaac

[17:21:01] devicenull slaac is the easiest way to get going. you'll probably want to configure static IPs at some point in the future too

[17:22:22] kcaj there are a number of people that do

[17:22:27] kcaj According to the CEO, that number is 3.

[17:22:39] devicenull 3 is a number

>

[17:22:49] kcaj Plausible.

[17:25:44] ule 3 guys using ipv6?

>

[17:25:50] trvz I'm one of them, kcaj's the second. Who's the third?

>

[17:28:47] ule I'll try to be the 4 though

>

[17:32:38] *** VultrDave sets mode: -o+b kcaj !kcaj@*unaffiliated/kcaj

>

[17:32:38] *** kcaj was kicked by VultrDave (stop spreading false information.)

So I'm well and truly out of that circle! No doubt he'll be informed of this post, and my presence in #vultr will again cease to exist.. some habits die hard :P

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited August 2015

Welcome to the club! Being banned in #vultr is not the worst thing. I live quite good while being banned too... :-) The "CEO Extraordinaire" does not get along well with criticism. Must be a childhood or genitalia thing...

• Jar said: I mean lets be honest though, with the way you judge CPUs a Pentium 4 4.0GHz is more powerful than anything :P

i go by benchmarks. Usually geekbench.

Pentium 4 is a very old core. so your sarcasm failed.

ow and do you still work for DO ? (making your opinion invalid since you are defending your products/company)

• TarZZ92 said: ow and do you still work for DO ? (making your opinion invalid since you are defending your products/company)

Please, don't even go there. Jarland is possibly one of the most down to earth people I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with.

Thanked by 2jar yomero
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2015

@TarZZ92 said:
    ow and do you still work for DO ? (making your opinion invalid since you are defending your products/company)

Lol my opinion was about you from at least two years of conversing on the same forum as you, and my job nullifies a total of 0 of my opinions, nice try though :)

@kcaj said:
    Please, don't even go there. Jarland is possibly one of the most down to earth people I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with.

<3

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @kcaj said:

I suddenly begin to agree with you on things. What is happening here? ;-)

Thanked by 2jar yomero
  • GulfGulf Member
    edited August 2015

@MarkTurner said:

They provide a better CPU in London, compare

4 CPU / 80$

NY
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3185328

London
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3186538

• Amitz said: I suddenly begin to agree with you on things. What is happening here? ;-)

Must be something your side, I'm fine.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited August 2015

@kcaj said:
    Must be something your side, I'm fine.

Ah, don't bother about me. I just tend to become sentimental from time to time. My doctor says that this will get better once the medication is well adjusted. Well... If I remember right, then he said that in 1993. I should see him again, I guess.

Thanked by 2jar vimalware