Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ad Blocking: $22 billion in lost revenue - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ad Blocking: $22 billion in lost revenue

2»

Comments

• "Sir, Ole_Juul's Ad Blocker wasn't working properly this month, should we go ahead and cut him a cheque?"

"You mean he didn't get to read our content for free? Oh forsooth, what a pity. Yes, cut him a cheque right away from our general fund and send him our deepest apologies."

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Ole_Juul said: The cost to consumers is greater than the "lost revenue" that they talk about. What percentage of bandwidth is taken up by ads? That's the percentage of my monthly internet cost that those companies owe me. Are they going to pay up? If they had even a single moral bone in their virtual body, they'd be sending me a $10 cheque every month. Since these bandwidth thieves don't seem to want to pay their debt, I'm going to keep using AdBlock.

That's rhetoric is ridiculous and unconstructive; you're requesting the page from the content creator, if you don't want the ads then you should only visit websites that don't serve ads (or use AdBlock). It's like saying that when you visit a newspaper website, the newspaper should pay you for the bandwidth that's taken up by sending the headlines for articles that you don't care about.

• perennate said: That's rhetoric is ridiculous and unconstructive;

Perhaps. :)

you're requesting the page from the content creator, if you don't want the ads then you should only visit websites that don't serve ads (or use AdBlock).

Could I have a list of websites that don't serve ads please?

It's like saying that when you visit a newspaper website, the newspaper should pay you for the bandwidth that's taken up by sending the headlines for articles that you don't care about.

Fine by me.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

ricardo said: They have been part of the web ecosystem since pretty much the beginning though.

No, they very much have not. And I'm pretty sure that I've linked you to the article about that before.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • joepie91 said: ricardo said: They have been part of the web ecosystem since pretty much the beginning though.

No, they very much have not. And I'm pretty sure that I've linked you to the article about that before.

Err...that's one guy and his opinion. http://www.wired.com/2010/10/1027hotwired-banner-ads/

All that guy's philosophy is fine and well, and he mentions paying out of his own pocket to fund the site... but he doesn't mention how he has the money in the first place.

• ricardo said: All that guy's philosophy is fine and well, and he mentions paying out of his own pocket to fund the site... but he doesn't mention how he has the money in the first place.

How does he have the money in the first place?

• How many billions of dollars in improved productivity, electricity savings, data savings, etc.? If it's more than $22 billion, it's a net gain for society as a whole.

Thanked by 2howardsl2 PremiumN
  • Using hosts file along with Adblock is a good practice. Also, help improve the hosts files.

I have personally dug through the Alexa Top 500 for my country to hunt and report the adserver urls to use them in my hosts file and now it's creating wonders for me.

Hundreds of requests, never stopping loading icon, downloading megabytes for just one mere web page... That's too much. And when you multiply it with all the sites you visit, it really takes your time and money.

• Would you willing to publish that to pastebin for example?

Nomad said: I have personally dug through the Alexa Top 500 for my country to hunt and report the adserver urls to use them in my hosts file and now it's creating wonders for me.

• GM2015 said: Would you willing to publish that to pastebin for example?

There are lists for that, or you can just use "peerblock".

• @GM2015 said:
    Would you willing to publish that to pastebin for example?

No need be.
    You can use Someonewhocares.org Hosts File.

My additions are integrated there as well.

Better, you can use a few hosts files after removing the duplicate lines.

This way most ad servers atr blocked even before they encounter adblock and also apps who can't use adblock are also shows less ads.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Outside of the evil flash I banish by removing it or not installing, I prefer functional pages over errors instead of ads, that would be more distracting for me which cant see ads if not interesting for me, besides, at times I can even get something useful or learn something from them.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited August 2015

Thanks.

I've added my hosts entries and deduped it to 579k entries.
    My entries were based on public malware blacklists.

Here's the file merged with yours. It blocks microsoft and googleapis too. LET editing becomes problematic, lol.

All entries redirect to 127.0.0.1.

Here's the DL link. LET you're welcome to ddos google.com.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1964NMP4JuwbHBDQk5uRGFpUk0/view?usp=sharing

Nomad said: No need be. You can use Someonewhocares.org Hosts File. My additions are integrated there as well.

Better, you can use a few hosts files after removing the duplicate lines. This way most ad servers atr blocked even before they encounter adblock and also apps who can't use adblock are also shows less ads.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Maounique said:
    that would be more distracting for me which cant see ads if not interesting for me, besides, at times I can even get something useful or learn something from them.

Yeah, ads are sometimes interesting in an aesthetic or serendipitous sense, or for reasons that have no relation to the product being advertised. I'm also one of those monsters for whom money doesn't grow on trees, so I've resorted to ad network chump change on certain sites. I've used ad blockers in the past and appreciate why they exist, but I'm not sure if joining the No Ads Total Abstinence League in late capitalist economy makes much sense (even if I have no interest in the ads, it's interesting to observe the economy playing itself out).

On the other hand, I find paywalls to be really annoying, if anything.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited August 2015

I don't recommend using that file. My windows 7 went anal after using that file, it was unable to look up anything. I don't know if it was parsing the damn hosts file or not. Before that it was working with 500k+ long hosts file, lol.

GM2015 said: Thanks.I've added my hosts entries and deduped it to 579k entries. My entries were based on public malware blacklists.imageHere's the file merged with yours. It blocks microsoft and googleapis too. LET editing becomes problematic, lol.All entries redirect to 127.0.0.1.Here's the DL link. LET you're welcome to ddos google.com. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1964NMP4JuwbHBDQk5uRGFpUk0/view?usp=sharing

• @GM2015 said:
    I don't recommend using that file. My windows 7 went anal after using that file, it was unable to look up anything. I don't know if it was parsing the damn hosts file or not. Before that it was working with 500k+ long hosts file, lol.

What, Dan Pollock's blue website couldn't help you with your 500k+ long hosts file? Lol...

• I don't think the hosts file is the right place for this. For a few personal blocks it's fine and I've got a couple of malicious sites entered in mine. But taking someone else's (very) long list just doesn't seem like good policy.

• @Ole_Juul I thought so,too, but AdAway on Android works really well. :D Not clue how many lines it adds...

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited August 2015

4n0nx said: I thought so,too, but AdAway on Android works really well. :D Not clue how many lines it adds...

I know it works with a lot of lines, but the question is how that works in the whole computing environment. For example, not everybody wants the same filter so you can't put the file on the outward facing router in a home environment. You have to manage each computer separately. Also, figuring out why some site that you may want to see doesn't load, and then temporarily changing the hosts file is time consuming. In the end there is nothing "wrong" with doing it this way, it's just not easy to manage. Perhaps in a corporate environment you can just make everybody accept the same bofh policy.

• @GM2015 said:

(:

First of all, it ain't my list. My list is integrated in that.

Second, that I've uses 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1. And that's the common practice but I don't know if windows 7 works fine with it as well.

Also, 500k+... Really? That's way too much. That last only has a few thousand common advertising sites and it's periodically updated as well. It's no different than mvps hosts.

The number of lines you have is a problem though. In the past when I tried your way Windows did crumble whenever I wanted to surf the web.

@4n0nX, adaway uses around 567 lines.

Thanked by 24n0nx GM2015
  • Well, why don't they stop paying money for ads then?