Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who still avoids EU vat?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who still avoids EU vat?

Just wondering who is still avoiding EU vat out there from LET/B?

Did Colocrossing and frantech(buyvm) comply?

Who is going bankrupt then the bill comes?

Thanked by 1Francisco

Comments

• DigitalOcean isn't charging EU VAT AFAIK at the moment.

• velayer said: DigitalOcean isn't charging EU VAT AFAIK at the moment.

They do.

• @gh0st007 Missed that then, as a few months ago they claimed not to charge it.

• jhjh Member

If a company has no presence in the EU then I doubt it can be enforced for them so ColoCrossing etc., might be fine by not complying.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

DO send me an e-mail I think on the 30th last month that I had to give them my VAT ID (registered company so no VAT for me) before the 1st of august.

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited August 2015

@gh0st007 said:

Bankrupt? Who is going to go bankrupt paying tax that is much needed? And it's generally a good thing as well. Cheaper products for us brits, fuel, equipment, etc..

Just FYI they're has been two filling months within the last 6 months.. One was recently. and one was in March I believe.

Has anyone gone bust? Who knows, as long as you've got a good accountant.. Your good to go.

Edit2: the EU Is clamping down on Tax Evasion.. so good luck.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@gh0st007 said:

I do. I also sells drugs and rape women.

Who doesn't?!

Thanked by 1Frecyboy
  • FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited August 2015

netomx said: I do. I also sells drugs and rape women.

Must be funny to live in mexico

gh0st007 said: Just wondering who is still avoiding EU vat out there from LET/B?

Most hosts I use charge me my local tax percentage now - so a couple of % lower than before.

• classyclassy Member
    edited August 2015

ColoCrossing primarily does B2B, so then there's no VAT anyway

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Frecyboy said: Must be funny to live in mexico

wanna come? we rape anything it moves, specially foreigns

• netomx said: wanna come? we rape anything it moves, specially foreigns

Sure, when I can bring some Bavarian food and beer with me!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MSPNick said: Bankrupt? Who is going to go bankrupt paying tax that is much needed?

Small time companies who don't charge VAT and get a bill by the end of year or next year.

To re-phase the question, who has EU assets(clients or servers) and don't charge VAT yet? Would be interesting to know who evades VAT and use shady practices to compete on price against legit provides who pay all the taxes and VAT. Name & shame!

Will be worth making a list so we can avoid them and give at least some advantage to legit and honest providers such as DigitalOcean or RamNode.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Avoiding VAT is easy, actually, it is some kind of business advantage for me. I am exporting almost every service I do and do not have to collect VAT, while when I buy things for the activity I have deductible VAT, so, to collect from the state. Since it takes 180 days and an audit to release you even the smallest amounts, I prefer to buy second hand laptops from EU and sell to friends charging VAT so I can balance the books. I sell at the dealer price I have+VAT, I have happy friends and I recover VAT.

• IMO if the provider has no assets in EU it should not pay EU vat - Same as EU customers pay no sales tax to US companies. That system only works if both sides do it, else it is plain unfair.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

We dont charge VAT in HK. Why would/should we? Our EU stuff will eventually be required to though but not until the threshold is reached.

• There is no threshold for EU VAT - everyone pays. Nobody says you need to pay unless you have EU assets.

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited August 2015

@gh0st007 said:

You know what the accountant does right?

VAT is filed each quarter in the UK, payable by the 7th on the 4th month.

• gh0st007gh0st007 Member
    edited August 2015

Yes I do.

• cociucociu Member
    edited August 2015

Maounique said: Avoiding VAT is easy, actually, it is some kind of business advantage for me. I am exporting almost every service I do and do not have to collect VAT, while when I buy things for the activity I have deductible VAT, so, to collect from the state. Since it takes 180 days and an audit to release you even the smallest amounts, I prefer to buy second hand laptops from EU and sell to friends charging VAT so I can balance the books. I sell at the dealer price I have+VAT, I have happy friends and I recover VAT.

>

we do the same :) +perfumes

Thanked by 1vimalware

@gh0st007 said:
    There is no threshold for EU VAT - everyone pays. Nobody says you need to pay unless you have EU assets.

Only EU citizens pay VAT. Assets have nothing to do with paying VAT.

EU registered companies must all collect VAT unless their turnover is below a certain threshold. The company does not pay VAT.

International companies are supposed to register and collect VAT but only the larget service providers can be compelled to do so.

• LeeLee Veteran

William said: IMO if the provider has no assets in EU it should not pay EU vat - Same as EU customers pay no sales tax to US companies. That system only works if both sides do it, else it is plain unfair.

This I agree creates a level playing field. I hear it all the time that company x from the USA has a rack right beside company B from the UK within a London DC, their services are similarly priced but that 20% VAT rate is without doubt a handicap for the UK company.

But the USA firm must be placed in the same position if the DC was in the US or wherever.

No EU presence, no tax payable.

randvegeta said: EU registered companies must all collect VAT unless their turnover is below a certain threshold.

Not quite. If I only want to do business in the UK then standard rules apply and I don't need to collect VAT under a certain threshold. If I want to do business across Europe then the threshold is removed and I need to charge it for everything.

Whichever way you in at least the UK, they will catch up with you. Might not be this year, may not even be for a number of years, but when they do catch up and your records are not in order you will get hit with a liability likely far in excess of what you owe and be held personally liable.

Right or wrong it is what it is for the moment.

Lee said: Not quite. If I only want to do business in the UK then standard rules apply and I don't need to collect VAT under a certain threshold. If I want to do business across Europe then the threshold is removed and I need to charge it for everything.

Source? Not that I don't trust you, but with I have read nothing of the sort either in the UK or Lithuania. As far as I am aware, and as far as every accountant consulted has advised, there is no requirement to register for VAT until the threshold has been met.

With that in mind, registering for VAT has certain benefits, like being able to acquire goods and services free of VAT (or rather, have the ability to claim it back). It is my understanding that the fact that a non-VAT registered entity must still pay VAT and has no mechanism to claim it back will somewhat level the playing field.

It seems strange that you cannot apply VAT to hosting for non EU nationals. VAT is intended as a tax on consumption within the EU. So tourists still pay VAT when they visit any EU country. Perhaps hosting can be classified as a service 'consumed' in the host country, rather than the customer's. This would then level the playing field.

• So tourists still pay VAT when they visit any EU country.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but apparently you can fill in a form to claim the tax back when leaving the country, at least in the UK.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2015

randvegeta said: Source? Not that I don't trust you

I was not clear.

So for me in the UK with customers within the EU I would need to register under Moss regardless of whether I meet the VAT threshold in the UK. I need to charge VAT to all my EU clients however I do not need to charged VAT to my UK clients unless I meet the threshold.

• randvegeta said: So tourists still pay VAT when they visit any EU country. Perhaps hosting can be classified as a service 'consumed' in the host country, rather than the customer's. This would then level the playing field.

no, it only applies for electronic services e.g hosting

Does buyvm charge VAT? @Francisco

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@gh0st007 said:
    Does buyvm charge VAT? Francisco

No, we're more than likely to just eat it on behalf of our users anyway.

We charge enough that we can ride out a lot of things to smooth things out.

Francisco

• What does it mean? You are aware payments for Q1 and Q2 are past due already, are you? Do you have a VAT number yet?

So nice of you to eat it for customers. Hands down on that.

Thanked by 1tszilassi
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2015

Until some EU gov requests it BuyVM does not need to give a shit about it - EU law clearly states that non-knowledge is an acceptable excuse until end 2017 (at least in Austria)

• Yes, it is. But once notified, they are due to pay everything from 1.1.2015

• Maounique said: I prefer to buy second hand laptops from EU and sell to friends charging VAT so I can balance the books. I sell at the dealer price I have+VAT, I have happy friends and I recover VAT.

Doesnt your country have some tax inspections? Because what you are doing is clearly illegal. You can't sell company stuff to a private person without charging VAT unless you take the money personally and don't book/account it.

But then, tax inspection comes, see there is no 5 laptops which are owned by company, not sold out according to the books as you have not accounted it, in the company office / registration and boom - figures out what you did in 10 minutes, lots of people did that 5-10 years ago in my EU country as well, but 2015...