Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help with a strange Mandrill/exim/email issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help with a strange Mandrill/exim/email issue

angrysnarlangrysnarl Member
edited August 2015 in Help

Ok first off I'm a noob when it comes to emails so I apologize if my issue is stupid or w/e.

Every few minutes, Mandrill keeps trying to send emails to [email protected] for an unknown reason. My server rejects them and I don't intend to receive these unknown emails anyway, because I don't have anything configured on my end to send to or to use this email address. There is nothing unusual in my Mandrill account's logs either. An interesting thing to note is that this started happening a day after I deleted about a thousand messages in my Mandrill backlog. Do you think this could be an issue on Mandrill's end rather than my server's config?

partial exim log if it helps:

2015-08-09 11:42:12 H=mail186-26.suw21.mandrillapp.com [198.2.186.26]:47831 X=TLSv1.2:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:256 F= temporarily rejected RCPT : lowest numbered MX record points to local host

2015-08-09 11:42:12 lowest numbered MX record points to local host: www.mydomain.tld (while verifying  from host mail186-26.suw21.mandrillapp.com [198.2.186.26]:47831)

2015-08-09 11:42:12 H=mail186-26.suw21.mandrillapp.com [198.2.186.26]:47831 X=TLSv1.2:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:256 F= temporarily rejected RCPT : lowest numbered MX record points to local host

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm not sure about why they are sending these, I would recommend configuring the email address so that you receive them, that way you can review the contents to find out why they are sending them.

The "lowest numbered MX record points to local host" error is more interesting. Does that server realize it is the MX record for your domain? Because it kind of looks like it's expecting not to be receiving mail for that domain.

• Hey Jar,

Thanks for responding.

It's really weird because I have all emails setup as [email protected] not [email protected]

I've been using Mandrill for years and this is the first time I encountered such an issue. I emailed them for help but I'm not sure if they ever get back to non-paying users.

@Jar said:
    The "lowest numbered MX record points to local host" error is more interesting. Does that server realize it is the MX record for your domain? Because it kind of looks like it's expecting not to be receiving mail for that domain.

I believe I have MX records setup correctly. I'm receiving emails sent to [email protected] (and even non-existent ones through a catch-all address) without any issues at all.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Ah I see. So it's sending the mail for www and the server isn't configured to receive mail for the domain in that way, which is a reasonable configuration. In that case, it may be worth asking Mandrill support why they keep sending those emails if you don't have that address configured anywhere in your account with them.

Make sure that your outgoing mails are also not signing "[email protected]" in the "From" field for good measure. If you have a web application sending mail, it is possible that it is doing this and Mandrill is simply passing on replies or bounce errors. I don't really use Mandrill interface much so anyone feel free to correct me on that :)

Thanked by 1angrysnarl
  • In that case, it may be worth asking Mandrill support why they keep sending those emails if you don't have that address configured anywhere in your account with them.

Yeah I hope they get back to me at least...

Make sure that your outgoing mails are also not signing "[email protected]" in the "From" field for good measure.

Yup.

If you have a web application sending mail, it is possible that it is doing this and Mandrill is simply passing on replies or bounce errors.

I do have a web app sending mail. However [email protected] (or any other email@www... for that matter) is not and was never used in my config, hence why I'm puzzled by what's happening.