Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sick of spam - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sick of spam

2»

Comments

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

Clouvider said: Spam Experts. If you are looking for a hosted setup on our Spam Experts Cloud platform please drop me a PM. We will work something out.

Looking for spamexperts to filter my own hosted domains. Wat prices can you offer ? thanks

• My current host uses MagicSpam and since I moved there I have no issues with spam. Before that it was a pain in the ass.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2016

Require valid PTR + require forward-to-reverse DNS records match + filter out PTR for common hints at being residential such as "adsl", "ppp" or "ftth" (and two dozen more) + check SPF and shitcan based on softfails too = barely any spam anymore.

Letting SOMEONE ELSE READ ALL YOUR MAIL just so that they filter out spam for you (aka "hosted anti-spam service") strikes me as rather shockingly idiotic.

Thanked by 2aglodek JustAMacUser
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2016

We have pretty good spam/virus filters with quarantine management (features) . You can use it as a relay just to filter out spam/virus/junk or as primary mail server.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

Spam matter is also domain name configuration issue.

If each domain holder setup a SPF it would not be so easy to send emails in the name of someone else.

I also agree with @impossiblystupid the main problem is how users are not able to keep some informations private, but it is not so simple. For a long time i was wondering myself how so many emails could be get by someone especially adress of people taking care of not giving this information to the planet until i discover some people get their email account hacked and here comes the leak of contacts adresses... including people who are vigilant....

One solution could be to change mail adress or desactivate account to let the internet think the mailbox is deleted but everybody just can't change email adress.

So as others in this thread i think you should use external mail service.

On a side note another solution might be to limit sending capacity of mail servers for accounts who send more than one mail per minute but that would be utopia :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Thanked by 2vedran Lee
  • @Ikoula said:
    One solution could be to change mail adress or desactivate account to let the internet think the mailbox is deleted but everybody just can't change email adress.

Yes they can, and they should. That's the whole point of adopting a policy of using disposable email addresses. The only people who have to change email addresses are the ones who pass them along to spammers, and everyone involved is better off by knowing where the source of the problem is.

• I've been running my own mail server for just under a year and can't even think of going back.

Spam, what spam?

• LeeLee Veteran

globalRegisters said: I've been running my own mail server

Yeah, I tried that once, never got any mail at all for weeks, can't ever think of going back..

• @Lee said:

globalRegisters said: I've been running my own mail server

Yeah, I tried that once, never got any mail at all for weeks, can't ever think of going back..

I eased into it. Started with domains that were not in use and slowly progressed from there.

It took me some time to get the hang of it.

The experience alone is well worth it.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • 127001127001 Member
    edited June 2016

Please forward all spam to [email protected]. I love spam data.

• FritzFritz Veteran

I never received any spam email, spam depends on how you handle your email in public.