Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The solution to losing focus as a developer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The solution to losing focus as a developer

joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
edited November 2012 in General

I've been trying to get back my focus on developing that I used to have, my "being in the zone" so to say, for a while now - and tonight I thought of something, and it worked! I decided to think back to the last time I was really focused on programming, which was in 2005, and looked up the music I listened to back then - this turned out to be stuff like Armin van Buuren. And guess what, I was able to focus like I used to again!

Tl;dr if you're having issues focusing as a developer, try removing all distractions (IRC clients, forum tabs, etc), and play some music from the last time you could really focus on programming and enjoy it - maybe it'll help for you too :)

Comments

• This seems to apply to homework as well.

• Changing up music is always good - the Tron soundtrack always gets me into the coding groove.

I use Github Issues religiously to maintain direction on projects - it's just too easy to sidetrack when you are first starting out, or stalling when you've been coding for days. I organize milestones, set deadlines, and try to complete them on time.

Anytime I've been away from a project, or even just having a hard time finding a direction, I usually write integration/unit tests. It feels strange, since I primary develop BDD, but there is always some method that should be tested and I missed somehow, but watching tests pass (and fail :|) gives me an idea what to focus on first.

And I had to cut out #lowendtalk - absolute productivity killer.

• It's LET here, but just get yourself a pair of Heir Audio 4AI. Does wonders :)

• Close the lowendtalk and reddit tabs in my browser.

• Its all in your head.

Sounds like its filled with society rather than development.
    development is no harder than breathing. Requires nothing extra.

• If it's freelance work... downpayment will bring in focus to work....

• Classical Music, Cigarette, Coffee after lots of sleep.

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited November 2012

http://www.linux.fm/

Also, the music thing works well for me too. And a good night sleep, focus is back much more after a well rest.

• If you want to regain your focus as a developer stay away from the hazy, dazy, crazy, addictive atmosphere of LET/LEB. I did so for a few days and I was very productive.

As you can see on returning by focus and productivity is beginning to slip.

• Eliminate distractions of all sorts. Phone, chat, forums, news, etc.

Music can be very powerful, find what works well for your mind and biology.

Yes to 8 hours of sleep (get it if you can).

Avoid stimulants and other short cuts. Ditto for masses of sugar.

I find a good long walk or some bicycling mid day helps to refocus. I try to run errands like that when I can.

• Playing Team Fortress 2 will help you gain focus.

• I drink lots of cups of tea :D

• @GIANT_CRAB said: Playing Team Fortress 2 will help you gain focus.

focus on the enemy with a sniper rifle eh :D

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited November 2012

+1 for closing any chat/im stuff and, sadly, forums like this one and slashdot :(

haven't done IM for years because of it and was able to get a sh*tload of productivity back. definitely no twitter, etc.

Also, getting a headset for the phone when coding helps so you can keep typing (in case you have calls you must take)

damn, gotta leave this forum to code ...... later, lol

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Yeah, that actually does work, I do it. :)

• physical exercise