Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let the flood of urpad vps resellers begin - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Let the flood of urpad vps resellers begin

2»

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

A lot hinges on this upgrade, so I hope its good :D

• @soluslabs any updates on v. 2?

• @lele0108 said: @soluslabs any updates on v. 2?

Progressing well

[root@dev2 ~]# svm version version : 2.0.0 20121114 release : development compile date : Wed Nov 14 19:31:03 EDT 2012 [root@dev2 ~]#

• ChiefChief Member
    edited November 2012

@pubcrawler said: You hit the issue squarely on the head.

Correction he hit a view that agrees with yours squarely on the head.

There are benefits to going with someone whom is reselling a solid platform opposed to someone who has just enough to setup very basic infrastructure.

All our company mobiles for example are via a reseller, whom is a reseller for the largest network in our region. We get the benefit of using the most reliable and largest network with the best infrastructure, yet we get to deal with someone whom actually does give a crap about our business and we deal with his small company where we are more than just a number. As a reseller he has access to most things to resolve any issues we have, at the same time providing a far superior level of service than if we went directly to the large network provider. Win/Win.

And no... we don't list resellers on LEB before that discussion gets underway ;)

• How long before release @soluslabs

• @Chief, the number of "resellers" that care and operate sustainable companies is very rare. Most of them are living in a MLM type marketing gimmick.

Buying from the reseller pool of offers means you need to sanity check the main company behind the offers and their ticket times and resolutions. Then you need to do that for the resellers business.

In general you are getting far removed from the actual facility, the actual tech handson, etc.

Each to his own. I am making effort to support VPS companies that can and do manage their own equipment and actually do employ a human or have themselves on site for hands on tech work.

Nothing inherently wrong with resellers as not to list them here. One could nudge a pointed stick at LET/LEB over already promoting resellers, as many offers are from companies reselling services (dedicated servers) who depend 100% on facility for eyes, ears, hands, etc.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited November 2012

As you have already noted I think you will find more providers use leased equipment than owned around here. But equally if you start as a provider of shared hosting you don't want nor need a to own your own equipment and it's not sensible to do so.

As Chief has already pointed out the reseller option can be a far more rewarding experience in terms of service whilst reliability and quality remains no worse than going direct.

You make your own choice however claiming that just because you are reseller of some kind due to lack of funds, technical prowess or whatever does not make sense in hosting quite the opposite. Of course there are exceptions but the broad brush approach is not always the best in counting resellers out.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Chief said: As a reseller he has access to most things to resolve any issues we have, at the same time providing a far superior level of service than if we went directly to the large network provider.

There is a very big difference between that, and a reseller account on a panel that allows someone to spin up and remove VPSes.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yes, I also go to resellers here for stuff, I dont buy from Samsung shops, for instance, i like to go with someone I know and tested, I know how operates and how solves the problems, BUT, in the case of an VPS reseller, things are very different.
    It makes sense when the reseller is also offering management or sells other services for them, it allows them to have standard stuff, but a simple reseller, no, it wouldnt work, usually.

• @FTNChris said: The reseller plans have been very popular. Some of my largest VPS reseller clients actually are not hosts but use it for projects which require multiple VM's.

What i thought, and have done myself.

-1 for competing provider starting topic tho.

• @W1V_Lee said: As you have already noted I think you will find more providers use leased equipment than owned around here.

This may be true, but.... Of the most popular/respected I don't think it is true. Over the past 2 years thinking of those winning the top provider mentions here, only Quickweb comes to mind of that list that leases hardware.

• @miTgiB, good point about resellers not being viewed as top providers :)

• LeeLee Veteran

Ok, but did those top providers always own their own hardware or did they lease and convert over time?

• Nonetheless, I think SolusVM resellers fail badly hardcore...
    Just lease a dedi if you want to resell, if you can't afford or maintain a dedi you shouldn't bother VPS hosting at all.

• @W1V_Lee said: did those top providers always own their own hardware or did they lease and convert over time?

I can only speak for myself, I have always owned 100% of my gear since I started Hostigation in 2006, i1.net was a huge mix of leased and owned gear, but when a Cisco 7500 was $80k and Livingston PM3's were $20k a crack, it was a different life in the pre-bubble of the 90's. I don't think BuyVM/Frantech leased hardware in the recent past, nor RamHost, but they would have to speak for themselves. Same for the others who have been mentioned in the past on the top provider lists. And even Quickweb does own their gear in Phoenix I think.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited November 2012

@bronzebyte - No idea what that meant.

• LeeLee Veteran

@miTgiB - Fair play if you start of with your own equipment, I think my point though is that leasing to get you going is a more rounded option to begin with and planning for your own equipment as you grow.

• @bobby said: -1 for competing provider starting topic tho.

This is on page one of the CVPS_Chris book on "winning" in the budget VPS hosting industry: snipe the competition in a public arena

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2012

It depends what "leased" means. For example there is business leasing agreement where a bank finances your equipment like it is in the car industry.
    I think you are rather thinking about renting, as of renting a server, colo space, power port and network infrastructure, most of the time with AS too.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@miTgiB said: I don't think BuyVM/Frantech leased hardware in the recent past,

When we only did our IRC we did leases until I had enough play cash to start building nodes. Back then we used to give free webhosting and such to channels that'd join our network.

When I started Frantech I did all owned equipment

Francisco

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

When RAM Host got into web hosting back in 2009 we did lease all the equipment for that first year.

After that first year in early 2010 we began to shift to owning our equipment - the limitations of a leased environment combined with the higher costs of leasing encouraged that change - Today we only lease servers for our small European operations (and soon that will change to owned gear as well) - we got rid of the last of our leased servers in the USA just over 2 years ago.