Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server backups on cheap cloud? Amazon unlimited? Onedrive personal unlimited?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server backups on cheap cloud? Amazon unlimited? Onedrive personal unlimited?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anybody uses new amazon unlimited (web only, no api?) or microsoft onedrive personal unlimited (no 20.000 files limit, unlimited storage) for storing server backups or files?

I have over 20TB video files that are averaging 100-200 mb or less. I'm planning to use either one (probably onedrive due to existing cli onedrive-d linux client) for backup purposes.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• 20TB, quite a lot of video you've got there

• Google Cloud Platform

• @nexmark said:
    20TB, quite a lot of video you've got there

You want to watch them don't you?

• @nkgcc said:
    Google Cloud Platform

It is way over my budget :)

•        AT REST PRICING          RETRIEVAL PRICING

Standard $0.026 (GB/Month) FREE
    Nearline $0.01 (GB/Month) $0.01 (per GB)
    Durable Reduced Availability $0.02 (GB/Month) FREE

• muratai said: 20TB video files

That's a lot of linux instructional videos :)

Thanked by 1sc754
  • @nkgcc said:
    AT REST PRICING RETRIEVAL PRICING
    Standard $0.026 (GB/Month) FREE
    Nearline $0.01 (GB/Month) $0.01 (per GB)
    Durable Reduced Availability $0.02 (GB/Month) FREE

20Tb static files will cost 200$ / month at cheapest option.

I finally made onedrive-d working in a debian 7.0 vps node. However, frankfurt to onedrive connection speed is very very slow.

I get 250-300 mbit with digitalocean to google drive.
    Onedrive is... 3-5-7 mbit/s only wtf?

• I changed block size from 512kb to 4Mb, I noticed a big jump. Then I increased block size to 100Mb (102400 Kib) and speed jumped to 250mbit. That is amazing.

• Buy 2 HubiC plans

• hubic, no doubt

• you can also look for dedicated server providers who are willing to do something custom with you. Or take a look at OVH storage servers. They have 5x 6TB drive servers available for $179 month (30 TB storage JBOD). Or you can go full out wit htheir $560/mo and get 12x6TB (72Tb JBOD, 60TB RAID6)

• @Jonchun said:
    you can also look for dedicated server providers who are willing to do something custom with you. Or take a look at OVH storage servers. They have 5x 6TB drive servers available for $179 month (30 TB storage JBOD). Or you can go full out wit htheir $560/mo and get 12x6TB (72Tb JBOD, 60TB RAID6)

I will get a server from online.net, but I want to backup offsite in case something goes wrong. Renting another dedicated server for backups is kinde of waste. However it seems cheaper than $200 with google cloud 20Tb lol :)

• murataimuratai Member
    edited August 2015

@cassa said:
    Buy 2 HubiC plans

It seems like a good idea. Online.net and Hubic cloud both in France (should be fast enough).

However, I doubt there is a ready to use linux client to sync files?

Edit: It seems they have a client for linux (Beta).

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited August 2015

It's interesting how hubic is unknown.
    I've never heard of it until joining LET.
    Dropbox, onedrive and gdrive are so main stream and yet not the best choices.

I was about to give you a link to their DL page, but then saw your comments. It's interesting to see the linux client is beta for 2 years, reminds me of someone saying hubic is only an ovh side project, lol.

muratai said: However, I doubt there is a ready to use linux client to sync files?

Edit: It seems they have a client for linux (Beta).

• nhocconannhocconan Member
    edited August 2015

If you only store videos for personal usage, I think Google Photo with Unlimited Storage. Ref article with some gotchas: http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/206990-google-photos-unlimited-storage-for-free-with-a-few-gotchas

However, not a server backup solution ..

• I managed to get hubic client working in debian 7.0 x64 Digitalocean vps.
    It uploads random 100-200-300-400Mb files without a problem.

However, onedrive-d has problems with files bigger than 100-200Mb

• time4vps offers 2TB for 100€ every 2 years, it seems. Maybe they can do a custom plan with even a bit more of a discount? :))

• 4n0nx said: time4vps offers 2TB for 100€ every 2 years, it seems. Maybe they can do a custom plan with even a bit more of a discount? :))

you could almost buy a 5tb drive for that (in first year)

• @nexmark said:
    20TB, quite a lot of video you've got there

At least not 20G of Linux ISOs :)

• @muratai said:
    I was wondering if anybody uses new amazon unlimited (web only, no api?)

It has an API. I use it via web but I'm just uploading my family pics instead of Linux ISOs, so I can't tell you much about your use case. :)

• @deadbeef said:
    It has an API. I use it via web but I'm just uploading my family pics instead of Linux ISOs, so I can't tell you much about your use case. :)

Amazon S3 has Api, but amazon unlimited lacks any sync features according to some tech websites. Perhaps I should get a free trial and test it a bit.

• @muratai said:
    amazon unlimited lacks any sync features according to some tech websites.

Yes, the api for that is not made to make things easy. Probably on purpose :(

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@nexmark said: 20TB, quite a lot of video you've got there

You want to watch them don't you?