Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 allocations - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 allocations

2»

Comments

• @mpkossen said:
    It is your fault and not Google's. Google just implements IPv6 it's the way it's supposed to be implemented. The fact that many people (and worse: providers) don't seem to understand that is the reason there are so many issues.

How is it your fault when the provider does it wrong?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

IPv6 is fundamentally the same as IPv4. Just 128bits instead of 32. But the sheer size of the address space makes getting your head around managing it a whole other monster.

Was it necessary to make it 128bit? 64bit would probably be more than sufficient.

And assigning a /64 to end users, although is the recommended practice, seems totally bonkers. If the final /64 can be treated as a single end user, then is there really much of a point in those billions of IPs in that /64?

And finally, if ISPS advertise IP blocks as small as /48 (which they do), I can only imagine the size of routing tables if IPv6 becomes the standard. The tables may become massive!

Crazy to think about it sometimes.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2015

randvegeta said: Was it necessary to make it 128bit? 64bit would probably be more than sufficient.

Better than running out again and getting IPv8....

randvegeta said: And finally, if ISPS advertise IP blocks as small as /48 (which they do), I can only imagine the size of routing tables if IPv6 becomes the standard. The tables may become massive!

Not really an issue anymore - Most modern routers easily support 3m+ routes. Of course if you run a Cisco 6500 (or even worse, like a 12000) this is a different story...

• No, no, it's IPvX.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited August 2015

@William said:
    I do not consider any ISP for service that assigns less than a /64.

This.

While I don't know much networking, I've heard of /64s being blocked because of one offending IP address, and it makes sense (since a spammer, etc can keep switching IPs easily)

So whether this actually happens or not, I know it's never going to affect me. If I only get 1 IPv6 and that one server administrator DOES decide to block /64s I'm gonna have problems..

Thanked by 2NeoXiD Clouvider
  • Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited August 2015

@randvegeta said:
    IPv6 is fundamentally the same as IPv4. Just 128bits instead of 32. But the sheer size of the address space makes getting your head around managing it a whole other monster.

Was it necessary to make it 128bit? 64bit would probably be more than sufficient.

And assigning a /64 to end users, although is the recommended practice, seems totally bonkers. If the final /64 can be treated as a single end user, then is there really much of a point in those billions of IPs in that /64?

And finally, if ISPS advertise IP blocks as small as /48 (which they do), I can only imagine the size of routing tables if IPv6 becomes the standard. The tables may become massive!

Crazy to think about it sometimes.

It's a matter of viewpoint, whether one considers network architecture or just get obsessed with "crazy numbers".

If one is to think of IPv6 as a /64-centric system (which it is by design), it is not much different from IPv4. It all comes down to making the transition between a "32+NAT" world to a "64+noNAT" world. Not such a huge jump, if you leave any obsession with big numbers behind, only to focus on keeping architectures simple - and as a nice bonus, the vast IP space allows everybody to breathe for the centuries to come.

Some rationale behind (wash, rinse, repeat, sorry):

Instead of each end-user getting 1 IPv4 /32 allocation + having to NAT many machines, devices, and services behind it (...many issues and headaches ensue), each end-user gets ~1 IPv6 /64 + no need for NAT'ing anything. And just like you could request from your ISP a /24 to accomodate 250+ internet-facing machines (and thousands of anything NAT'ed behind), one should request a /56 to accomodate our various /64 front machines (with at least the same thousands of anything-you-want behind)

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Shot2,

You're definitely not wrong. Indeed if you ignore the sheer size of the address space, and treat it almost as 'infinite', which is practically the case for many providers, and just focus on the structure/architecture, then it should be quite simple to manage.

The only issue is that IPv4 is so limited, and prevalent, it's going to be hard to kick those nasty habits.

I have personally compared IPv4/IPv6 to 2 different currencies in economies where prices are completely different, making it impossible to get a real 'exchange rate' or equivalence.

• In IPv6, /64 is one network. You are assigned one network, and I assume "one" is not too much for you all. Yes you can be assigned 1/65536 of a network and you are fine. But most of use expect to have one network to be assigned.

For /48, you are assigned 65536 networks.

• ipv6 won't work in my computer

network is unreachable

what do i do

• @mrsdoyle said:
    what do i do

Upgrade your ethernet cable.

Thanked by 2mpkossen NeoXiD
  • I guess the cost of router hardware that can handle /64 ipv6 allocations per vps customer would not allow low-end prices.

• @kcaj said:
    Upgrade your ethernet cable.

i am on wifi is that the problem

• vimalware said: I guess the cost of router hardware that can handle /64 ipv6 allocations per vps customer would not allow low-end prices.

what? Even a Cisco 6500 (now 10+ years old) supports 512000 IPv6 subnets.

Thanked by 2vimalware NeoXiD
  • @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    How is it your fault when the provider does it wrong?

Don't you pick the provider? Or does mommy do that for you?

• @rds100 said:
    Don't tell me about google (or rather gmail) properly implementing ipv6. They suck. They were the reason why at some point i made our mail servers work on ipv4 only and not try to send any emails over ipv6.

They probably have some sort of rating system. If they get too much from a certain IP, the /64 may be blacklisted.

• @mpkossen said:
    Don't you pick the provider? Or does mommy do that for you?

You do. But not every provider gives a /64. Sometimes it's the only VM in that location.

• mpkossen said: Don't you pick the provider? Or does mommy do that for you?

Just like my mommy once told me, I really must tell you - it's a big world. :) Like a lot of places, there's no choice of provide and no IPv6 here.