Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

User managed backup question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

User managed backup question

edited November 2012 in General

If provided with the option of fast local user managed backups of VPSs or potentially slower remote backups which would users prefer?

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited November 2012

What does "local" mean? As in, it's stored on the same server? Or just in the same datacenter?

• Should have been clearer. Within the same DC.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Other hardware, same dc is fine with me

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

I'd imagine it would be similar to what RootBSD does, with a personal VPS I have with them (a 20GB one), there's 30GB of "backup" storage provided, which is accessed internally from the vps on the 10.12.* range. So to access said backup you would have to go you -> VPS -> backup server.

And for nightly backups I prefer internal, since it'll be much faster to do a cron job and just SCP/Rsync/Etc right over to the backup storage, no bandwidth charges incurred etc.

But for peace of mind, I would prefer having a remote backup in another datacenter. Right now at 3 different locations I actually do both internal and remote backups.

If you are providing backup services for your own customer, I would offer it internally, since it can be as simple as a shell account, or a cpanel account on a shared backup server for customers to be able to access from the VPS itself.

In Short: for self-managed backups, in the same DC, on a separate physical machine would be fine with me as well. If I'm going to do remote (outside of the DC), it's going to be with a different company.

• fast local user managed backups of VPSs or potentially slower remote backups >

Depends on the idea behind the backups.

If backups are insurance against VPS node failure, then either will do in the same facility or even same metropolitan area (better).

If the backups are to be used as backup storage that user controls and can populate and access and modify what is stored therein (and not therefore per se a copy of their VPS node) then remote backups are kind of preferred.

Hate the idea of a provider having backups in the same facility, let alone the same rack.

• These backups would be in addition to our own backups. This would purely be a user controlled backup feature. The backup would take a copy of their VPS.

• So basically similar to SolusVM backup option with control of when the backup is done given to the end user. In which case if it's a "full VPS" backup like SolusVM/Ovz/etc does, then I would stick to an internal backup solution. If it's user-controlled in the sense of they control which files to backup and set up a cron job etc), then either option would be good, but makes more sense to keep it internal (same DC) if you're the one providing the storage.

• Yeah go with setting up the backup servers on an internal network as that'll give your users the best speeds. If you're already making your own offsite backups then I see no problem going with this method.

• I like the idea of same-DC, user-controlled backup like what BuyVM does with their 5GB storage space. Preferably I'd like more space, but the same idea -- fling config and important files there instead of dealing with a more unwieldy full server backup.

• I personaly favor the idea of remote backups, recent Sandy circumstances have proved this was a reasonable idea.

• For proper deployments in mid-large organizations we'd arrange both - backup to local then that goes to remote.

The idea is fast backups, fast restorations - mainly for those that are like... I need something from yesterday... I think I blew it up.

However, this won't be LEB pricing. Something we're looking at though as a configurable option in the feature.