Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upgrade Debian Wheezy to Jessie without systemd
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Upgrade Debian Wheezy to Jessie without systemd

Some scripts for anyone who would like to upgrade Debian Wheezy to Jessie without systemd.

Both scripts work with openvz so they should work for any vps.

Thanked by 2rokok edgecase

Comments

• I dist-upgraded my VPS and network was completely broken. :(

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2015

Firstly, Devuan is such wannabe shit, it's not worthy of any attention; it's highly surprising you seem to be seriously offering it as an option.

Secondly, why do you force 'upstart' onto people? It's not just mediocre and useless, it's rapidly becoming deprecated and unmaintained, as its authors (Ubuntu) have decided to stop working on it altogether.

This is how you properly get rid of systemd:
    http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation
    Tested, works well from any already installed Jessie system, and doesn't do any bizarre crap such as randomly installing "htop" or "inetutils-syslogd", removing "plymouth" and whatnot.

Thanked by 2alexvolk marrco
  • itoffshoreitoffshore Member
    edited August 2015

After a bit more checking it seems to only be Wheezy Openvz containers that are unable to install sysvinit (& require upstart to be installed to be able to boot).

kvm & unprivileged lxc containers both run with sysvinit & openrc.

In my instructions for openvz plymouth has to be removed now because sysvinit is not installable (previously installing sysvinit would remove upstart & also now before a dist-upgrade there is a version conflict between plymouth & udev). plymouth is also a dependency of upstart & gets reinstalled with it after the dist-upgrade.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

itoffshore said: The instructions you provided no longer work - sysvinit has been obsoleted by Debian & is not installable.

I just used them a week or so ago. Doesn't seem like anything has changed since then, https://packages.debian.org/jessie/sysvinit-core still available in Jessie.

• Does anyone know how long until Debian 8 will work on OVZ without any tweaks?

• "without systemd" - sigh...

• angstromangstrom Moderator

On OVZ, the strategy with the fewest headaches would be to back up your personal data and to do a fresh installation of Debian 8. (A reinstall may be a nuisance, but this is the recommended way to upgrade on OVZ. Or you could stay with Debian 7 for a couple of more years.) In my experience, the Minimal template is less problematic to use than the Standard one.

• itoffshoreitoffshore Member
    edited August 2015

I found the problem & the solution for Debian Jessie openvz containers with sysvinit

Jessie OVZ with sysvinit:

Jessie OVZ with sysvinit

openrc works too.