Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you pay for your VPS with Amazon Payments?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you pay for your VPS with Amazon Payments?

DamianDamian Member
edited November 2012 in General

Was taking a look at https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/helpTab/Checkout-by-Amazon/Creating-Managing-Your-Account/Amazon-Payments-Fees and noticed that the fees on transactions within our price range are low. For example, a $2 transaction will get charged 10 cents in fees for credit cards. And there's an option for bank accounts.

Would you pay with Amazon Payments if a provider offered it?

Comments

• Yes, as long as its easy as Google Checkout I'd use it.

• Only if they didn't offer PayPal.

• About 5% pay me this way. I see high fraud rates from Morocco, and zero support if you have a question, but the tradeoff for me is I can keep the balance there and spend it on their site, or just hide it from myself then move it to my bank account when I see fit.

• If it accept my debit card, yes.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

I've had a few people pay me via amazon simple pay when for some reason they didn't want to use either paypal or google checkout. I was also using alertpay before they went straight to hell for US customers after they switched/sold to Payza.

• I know PayPal charges a lot of fees, but it works and the most users are using it - so why always looking for new methods no one is using? (Sorry for this, but maybe I'm not understanding this since I only know PayPal from the users' side)

• Yeah, I'd use it.

• @Amfy more than just fees are the ocassional automated hassle one may have with paypal, from the seller side you have to consider that some people are pretty trigger happy with the dispute button even with a $3 order without even bothering to request a refund.

You get a couple of those Paypal can often go into lockdown mode on your account and causes you all kinds of hassles and man hours, most of the time could be resolved with a phone call, and actually explaining the situation. If the buyer actually wanted to bother escalating the dispute to a claim, it wouldn't take much more than mentioning non-tangible goods to paypal for them to lose said dispute (since non-tangible goods are not covered under buyer protection).

But that being said, as a seller it's always good not to put all your eggs in one basket, thus why for my own use I'm able to accept paypal, google checkout, amazon simple pay, and course Square (local card swipe, but could key in a # by phone, but would prefer not to, it's not an option for online services anyways).

• yes, when i know your cheapest vps plan (50c) will be just 35c/m ;)

• DamianDamian Member
    edited November 2012

@Amfy said: for new methods no one is using?

This is actually why i'm asking.. i'm wondering if there would be enough usage to warrant having another payment gateway. Payment gateways are free, but then it's the issue of having all of our money spread out. I like money, and I'll do whatever it takes to make it easier for customers to give us money.

There's quite a stigma with Paypal, gcheckout has issues with international payments, and Stripe is new. So just looking for more payment avenues :)

• Also Amazon payments requires you to submit your SSN for the ability to make payments which is a deterrent for some who do not want to submit SSN at every random website which is not a bank.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

@proteus ... I've not encountered this, and I doubt they'd require it for people wishing to buy thru their amazon account, as then no one would bother to buy anything from amazon.com.

As a seller I could see them requiring a SSN for tax reasons (or your EIN), but none of my buyers nor myself has ever been required to provide a SSN to make payments with them unless someone tried to apply for a Amazon VISA card or something.

The main two downsides to Amazon Simple Pay, is 1) It may take up to 2 weeks to a month for that fund to be cleared for withdrawl to your bank account. (held mainly for the purpose of fraud check and/or refunds), and 2) Their website isn't exactly the easiest to navigate from the seller point of view.

• If it's just like paying for a normal item on amazon then it sounds great, even more so If I can use amazon credit as a payment source.

• @Taylor that's pretty much the way it works with Simple Pay, the customer is redirected to a page (much like you do with paypal) to login and make a payment, and you can use whatever payment sources are registered to your Amazon account.

In terms of what people prefer to pay with, I still find that Paypal will what 98% of the customers chooses, the ones that don't, usually do google/amazon mainly because they probably had their paypal account closed or no longer trusts them (this seems more common with customers who are affiliate marketers).

• I use it to pay @miTgiB, I wish more providers would use it :) I'd also use Google Checkout if the option is there. PayPal is my last resort. Credit card is never, ever an option as long as a provider stores it itself. The aforementioned three already have my CC number, that's enough ;)

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @mpkossen said: I use it to pay @miTgiB, I wish more providers would use it

We've recently added Payza besides Paypal, but thanks. Advice taken. Will be adding this ASAP.

• @concerto49 said: We've recently added Payza besides Paypal, but thanks. Advice taken. Will be adding this ASAP.

Cool! I'm about to order a backup server with you, so in the future I hope I can make use of it :)

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited November 2012

@mpkossen said: Cool! I'm about to order a backup server with you, so in the future I hope I can make use of it :)

Thanks a lot. Happy to have you on board!

@Damian - Amazon Simple Pay doesn't support recurring payments according to WHMCS. @miTgiB have you found this an issue?

• @concerto49 said: Amazon Simple Pay doesn't support recurring payments according to WHMCS

Of all the payment options I offer, PayPal seems to be the only thing that supports recurring payments. I know direct credit cards do as well, but I have no desire to offer direct credit card payment. If my WHMCS were ever to be comprimised, I Know everyone is safe since I have no CC info.

• @miTgiB: If you ever desire to do so, Stripe gives you the option of storing CC Info locally or not:

We have it disabled. Stripe themselves offer the ability to store CC data on their own website if desired, but it's not required. Stripe was well planned.

• @Damian said: Stripe themselves offer the ability to store CC data on their own website if desired, but it's not required. Stripe was well planned.

What % of users use Stripe at your end? The only thing to a WHMCS module I can find is a paid one. I that the one you are using?

• DamianDamian Member
    edited November 2012

@concerto49 said: What % of users use Stripe at your end?

Invoices:      
    All Paid            4449        Percent
    Paypal              3600    80.917060000
    Google Checkout     766     17.217352200
    Stripe              83      1.865587700

~2% or so, so far. We only added the module at the end of July or so. Stripe itself is quite new, and people are just beginning to learn about it and see it advertised in other places. On average, we're seeing a Stripe payment at least every few days, see http://pastebin.com/kPC6gVsf .

@concerto49 said: The only thing to a WHMCS module I can find is a paid one.

http://www.whmcs.com/appstore/377/zStripe-stripecom-Gateway.html is the one we bought, and when we bought it, it was $50 for lifetime or something like that. Now it looks like it's $45/year.

https://stripe.com/docs/stripe.js is the API if you want to roll your own.

• Finally got Amazon Simple Payments set up. Setting up Amazon Simple Payments is not so simple, because you have to sign up for:

-Amazon Web Services
    -Amazon Simple Payments
    -Amazon Flexible Payment System

Yet nothing really describes this anywhere. Oh well, it's up and running.

• @Damian said: Yet nothing really describes this anywhere.

they must have learned that from google

• hell no. Well only because amazon is not supported in my country =p

• @miTgiB said: Of all the payment options I offer, PayPal seems to be the only thing that supports recurring payments. I know direct credit cards do as well, but I have no desire to offer direct credit card payment. If my WHMCS were ever to be comprimised, I Know everyone is safe since I have no CC info.

Using a token system where you get a hash and the CC processor uses that has to charge the stored card on their system is best. Eliminates the need for PCI Compliance as well since they handle all of it on their end.