Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mega.co.nz - KIM DOT COM wha?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mega.co.nz - KIM DOT COM wha?

krokro Member
edited November 2012 in General

kim.com is back! YAY!

F U Mr President.

Comments

• hai2u @AsadHaider yes that is many sucks.

I guess this is what happens when you tremble in your boots as a country.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2012

MEGA CONZ!

Sounds legit...

• Have you read their hosting proposal?

You need to be able to provide us with:

• Servers. The more, the better.
    • Remote hands
    • Drive replacements should be handled within 24 hours.
    • Internet Connectivity
    • All routes, but we can accommodate optimization requests with regards to which ASes you like/dislike.
    • Make us an offer. We prefer unmetered fixed monthly payments.

If you're interested, the deal can include ad space.

I bet hundreds of hosts are jumping at the opportunity to not be paid like Carpathia.
    I know it's not their fault since assets were frozen, but what's to stop them (Kim) from getting into shit again from the government who plays God?

... Along with the fact that there's a 100% guarantee that warez will be hosted on said servers. (Warez from users, but still warez).
    As a host you're (pretty much) knowingly entering into a contract to host warez.

• @telephone said: As a host you're (pretty much) knowingly entering into a contract to host warez.

Is that also the case when it's encrypted client data being on that server that only the owner can decrypt? From what I gather, only encrypted data gets sent to the server(s).

• @KuJoe said: MEGA CONZ!

I chuckled.

• so basically I can just buy some servers that qualify their specs, host them at my local data-center and earn some extra bucks?

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited November 2012

@mpkossen said: Is that also the case when it's encrypted client data being on that server that only the owner can decrypt? From what I gather, only encrypted data gets sent to the server(s).

I'm still unsure about this as well. Their site/statement doesn't specify whether they're trying to be a file host, a cloud storage provider (like dropbox), or both.

• Files are encrypted on the user's computer before its uploaded to the servers. There is no way Mega or server providers can view the files the users upload since its 100% encrypted before its even uploaded.

@mpkossen said: Is that also the case when it's encrypted client data being on that server that only the owner can decrypt? From what I gather, only encrypted data gets sent to the server(s).

They didn't need access to the data on the servers to take them down the first time. The only difference this time is the number of defendants standing trial will be a lot larger.

• @FTN_Kevin said: Files are encrypted on the user's computer before its uploaded to the servers. There is no way Mega or server providers can view the files the users upload since its 100% encrypted before its even uploaded.

Exactly, but can hosts be held liable for any copyright-infringing on those servers, even though it is encrypted?

@mpkossen said: Exactly, but can hosts be held liable for any copyright-infringing on those servers, even though it is encrypted?

Hosts are liable if they do not take action to remove the data once contacted. You forget that even though the data is encrypted the links will be shared and the file checksums will be used to track down the illegal content like before.

• Came to know about his new service but wasn't knowing what its domain name was going to be except mega, and was also knowing that the new encryption service is coming with it.

But it will yet support DMCA..

• I have never used megaupload properly / reg. there, yet hates what USA govt. did, as its illegal.

@MikeIn said: yet hates what USA govt. did, as its illegal.

Care to elaborate? How is enforcing US laws in the US illegal?

• @KuJoe said: How is enforcing US laws in the US illegal?

What US law did the US government enforce in the US? The only thing that comes to mind is the takedown of servers. All other things like capturing people and freezing assets were not in the US.

• Well, for me as i know (may be incorrect), US govt didn't took permission of Govt of NZ before arresting KIM, which is violation of NZ home law, even if they Don't raise any Question as USA is a superpower, The situation on this arrest is similar to that of Osama being killed but is Quite incomparable.

Also maybe they do respect DMCA, there servers should not have been seized.(Maybe I am totally incorrect in this statement).

USA will not even pay penalty, even if it will be proven that they did some mistakes.

Again a Disclaimer (Sorry if it hearts someone, its just my very odd thoughts and are not meant to heart someone).
    I respect all countries and their laws!

@MikeIn said: US govt didn't took permission of Govt of NZ before arresting KIM

The US never arrested Kim, the NZ police did.

• @KuJoe said: The US never arrested Kim, the NZ police did.

Its almost the same , if they had their way he would've been extradited to US and facing charges

• So as I said earlier I may be incorrect. I should say sorry if I am wrong.
    Also I hope my disclaimer would be alright as I don't want any kind of charge over my head as I don't have any exp :p and neither I am a lawyer.

edited November 2012

@gameon said: Its almost the same

I am horrible with geography but I know that New Zealand and the United States are 2 different countries. But I guess milk and water are almost the same because they can both be drunk from a cup. ;)

• @KuJoe said: I am horrible with geography but I know that New Zealand and the United States are 2 different countries. But I guess milk and water are almost the same because they can both be drunk from a cup. ;)

i was not contesting the geography part either sire :P , just hinting at the endresult

• Some update:-

"The Crown also revealed that police had handed seized hard drives to FBI staff who copied them at the police crime lab in South Auckland and sent the copies back to the US.[51] Justice Winkelmann ruled that handing the hard drives seized in the raid to the FBI was in breach of extradition legislation and the FBI’s cloning of the hard-drives was also invalid."
    Source:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Dotcom#Political_fallout_from_Dotcom.27s_arrest

Disclaimer (Sorry if it hearts someone, its just my very odd thoughts and are not meant to heart someone).

I don't know why I am commenting in this topic as neither I am an user of mega-upload or any such file-sharing service and nor has any int. of any kind, or what so ever.

Don't want to heart someone or get banned, I hope I am not violating any Rule or Law, If so I am very much sorry, please forgive me.
    -looks like am getting more like theory guy or something like that.

• @MikeIn said: I have never used megaupload properly / reg. there, yet hates what USA govt. did, as its illegal.

@KuJoe said: Care to elaborate? How is enforcing US laws in the US illegal?

http://kim.com/scandal (Got this link from wikipedia)
    10th point

@MikeIn said: Disclaimer (Sorry if it hearts someone, its just my very odd thoughts and are not meant to heart someone).

I don't know why I am commenting in this topic as neither I am an user of mega-upload or any such file-sharing service and nor has any int. of any kind, or what so ever.

Don't want to heart someone or get banned, I hope I am not violating any Rule or Law, If so I am very much sorry, please forgive me.
    -looks like am getting more like theory guy or something like that.

-Ditto Copy again.

• However unfair the treatmeant of Kim was you need to keep in mind that the guy is a convicted criminal who made a living out of not delivering and betraying his friends. Although very unlikely it would be exactly his style to start Mega.co.nz as a honeypot for the FBI to get his "sentence" for Megaupload reduced. (only speaking in hypotheticals here since he didn't get convicted for Megaupload (yet))

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

The industry behind RIAA and the like is slowly losing strenght and capital.
    Their business model is obsolete, it has been for quite some time but only recently they started to show weaknesses.
    The global offensive that they are carrying out needs more and more money and their funding is stable if not going down already.
    The war is lost, but there will still be victims on all sides.
    Same with the war on drugs, it is also lost long ago, from the times of the prohibition, but the battles still rage.

• :P And they looking for investors... I doubt any investors is going to touch that one until after his extradition hearing in 2013.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am betting they will find investors and will have a better protection scheme, both technical and legal.

• @kbeezie said: :P And they looking for investors... I doubt any investors is going to touch that one until after his extradition hearing in 2013.

+1

Why will someone will invest in it, so as to get jailed and loose all his investment and have extra capital punishment.

Also getting returns in Penney as a result of having others loosing in millions.

• titanicsaledtitanicsaled Member
    edited November 2012

@KuJoe said: MEGA CONZ!

Brilliant :)

• Also are they following the footprints of ThePirateBay as they don't have any proper physical server and everything is hosted over the cloud, and they also say neither the end user will know the real server IP not the providers will know what they are hosting (with evert thing being encrupted)...

Looks like a new web fight is coming soon with a whole new dimensions.

• Stop piracy, support developers, Love and use Free and open/ open source things, give and get help...........