Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FSCK "noob" question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FSCK "noob" question

risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
edited November 2012 in Help

As usual, I value what you guys have to say so I'm running by another "noob" question:
Can anyone give me an idea on how long an FSCK generally takes on a node? For example, let's say you have a raid10 setup with some drives, how long does your FSCK take to complete?

The reason I am asking is because I obviously don't have a clue how long this could take but I totally understand that it depends so I don't need a definite answer but perhaps an answer based on your experiences

Additionally, VPS providers tend to answer me with "We have to do an fsck on the node" and that's why its down (10 hours?). Want to make sure someone isn't trying to mess with me due to my lack of knowledge.

Thanks guys

Comments

• @risharde said: For example, let's say you have a raid10 setup with some drives, how long does your FSCK take to complete?

Unil it is done, there is no cookbook answer here :( I've seen it take between 10 minutes and 2 days.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@miTgiB Thanks alot miTgiB, much appreciated for the answer - that is perfect for my needs at this point in time since I was worried more about the fact that I didn't know. Now that I know, my patience levels have gone up ;) Would you be able to tell me if fsck is a normal thing or what might cause one to do an fsck if its not too much trouble?

• @miTgiB I think for jaguarpc, it took almost 7+ days?

Wow 7+ days, wow that is a long time, I've been impatient for 10 hours so I'll cut them some slack I guess

• @risharde said: Would you be able to tell me if fsck is a normal thing or what might cause one to do an fsck if its not too much trouble?

An improper shutdown will force one, also every 200 days without one will force it if the server restarts, the time varies based on the filesystem used as well.

• Generally a provider won't "fsck a node" -- they might fsck the / or something but that should be tiny compared to all the VPS filesystems on the node.

@miTgiB I really need that thanks button working again - Thanks once again ;)
    @jeff_lfcvps I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean here, isn't the / the root? So wouldn't that be fscking the whole node essentially? Please englighten me if you have the time and thanks for trying to explain

• Ah, you guys are talking OpenVZ again :)

I'm thinking in terms of Xen / KVM where each VPS has it's own file system.

@jeff_lfcvps Oh! I was just guessing, I haven't actually run OpenVZ management, only been on openvz vps but thanks for providing that information. I learnt something new again ;)