Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare Down?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare Down?

mujmuj Member
edited November 2012 in General

Is Cloudflare down because my server is?

Edit: I think its cloudflare. (We are looking into network issues in Europe Affecting regions: EU)

Comments

• It's just you. http://ramnode.com is up.

What did their support say?

• AsadAsad Member
    edited November 2012

Site is down for me.. get a cloudflare message.

• It's up for me (their website)

• It's back up again now, no cloudflare message.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited November 2012

@muj is https://clientarea.ramnode.com/ available for you?

• The sites working now.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited November 2012

I'm not showing any downtime on any of our nodes or services. I'm not sure what happened with CloudFlare and our main website, but it should not have affected anyone else. For future reference, you can email support[at]ramnode (or just open a ticket since our client area was apparently unaffected) or send us a Tweet or something; that will surely get a faster response than posting on LET.

Since this seems to be "fixed", whatever it was, please edit the title to show "resolved" if you would.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I heard Nick bailed and they're going to dead pool.
    DEAR READER, THIS IS CALLED A JOKE.

• @jarland said: DEAR READER, THIS IS CALLED A JOKE.

+1

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@jarland D: That would be an extraordinary waste of money and effort :/

In other news, CloudFlare graphs show no unusual activity for this time period. And as I said, no servers reported downtime (we ping every node every minute).

• DNS attack that led to a complete network failure. Nice.

Too many people depend on CloudFlare. Too big of a target.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@pubcrawler Seems it was only part of Europe. I doubt it would take them offline everywhere as they are anycasted to I believe it is 20 data centers now.

• It seems to have either taken Cloudflare offline in Europe or severely diminished service level.

Cloudflare is being used to mask many unsavory sites. So the target value increases with bringing them down and attracts unwanted attention to core piece of some folks solution.

Kind of like having dope dealers and whackos for neighbors --- makes for a dangerous neighborhood experience.

• @pubcrawler said: Too many people depend on CloudFlare. Too big of a target.

What other DNS service would you recommand? Namecheap?

• Well Cloudflare claims to do lots of things. DNS is one thing I wouldn't be placing in their hands (too many eggs in one basket when failure does happen).

DNS wise, I am really liking the Rage4 DNS for when I need geographic functions in DNS.

DNSMadeEasy is a very good low cost offering for traditional DNS. They've only had one partial outage in a decade I believe of operation (huge DDoS attack in past 18 months I believe).

DNS control elsewhere (Rage 4, DNSMadeEasy, etc.) along with low TTL like 60 seconds allows you to manually redirect traffic when/if Cloudflare goes bonkers in any way.

• @pubcrawler said: Well Cloudflare claims to do lots of things. DNS is one thing I wouldn't be placing in their hands (too many eggs in one basket when failure does happen).

For what it's worth, if you use a CloudFlare Hosting Partner (for transparency, we are one) your dns records do not need to live on CF's dns servers, but instead on the dns servers of the hosting partner.

• Good info there @KnightSwarm_Phillip for others who might not know this and be users of Cloudflare.

• Thanks for the info. I am currently in the process of moving POP mail to Office 365 because of frequent downtimes. After the move, I also want to switch the DNS, else it makes very little sense to move the mail. Because if the DNS is down, Office 365 will be unreachable as well, even tough it's still 'up', just the DNS is down.
    I was thinking of using Cloudflare but taking a look at their Twitter page about the recent outages doesn't make me happy.

• @KnightSwarm_Phillip said: For what it's worth, if you use a CloudFlare Hosting Partner (for transparency, we are one) your dns records do not need to live on CF's dns servers, but instead on the dns servers of the hosting partner.

Care to tell me more about this in a PM? Might be interested (as in my other topic)

• Cf is a anycast network, impossible for it to be completely 'down,' unless something goes veeeeeeeeeery wrong - not likely.