Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Public Cloud Server Which is Reliable + Affordable?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Public Cloud Server Which is Reliable + Affordable?

NetxonsNetxons Member
edited November 2012 in Providers

There is so many Cloud Hosting provider out there which is Reliable + Affordable? And which provider you'll choose and why?

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

When you answer yourself who are the real cloud providers and which one of those so called cloud hosts actually have the ifnrastructure - than you will find your answer.

• jhjh Member

Not Softlayer - had 8 hours of downtime while a tech manually failed over a hypervsior:
    http://www.sysadmin.co.uk/blog/2012/11/11/softlayers-cloudlayer-not-quite-instant-failover

Have since moved to EuroVPS which is half the price and performs much better.

• It's seem OnApp was the pioneer in Cloud Hosting INC, but seem they got issue with their backup feature.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Well, I have a small part of my infrastructure placed on Rackspace and despite the fact that mostly noone here likes them (probably the pricing), I find them great, hadn't had a minute of downtime of their services, since I started to use them, nearly 1 year ago.

• jhjh Member

@Netxons said: It's seem OnApp was the pioneer in Cloud Hosting INC, but seem they got issue with their backup feature.

There's nothing wrong with OnApp's backup functionality as far as I know

• @Netxons -> Rackspace
    @Alex_LiquidHost - The AMD Quad Core Opterons in their nodes (talking about Rackspace here) couldn't even run a Casio wrist watch, let alone Xen virtualization. Yet there are people who will pay for it...

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited November 2012

@Netxons We offer cloud based vps. Really when looking at cloud, it is basically a HA clustered vps with auto-failover and at least ssd cache. This provides you with an uptime that is normally close to 100%, don't be fooled nobody has 100% uptime all the time. Even cloud providers, things happen. Network issues, are the biggest one when it comes to cloud providers.

• @Zen said: Speed isn't everything, and even so, speed is fine on Rackspace.

@Zen I was looking at their Serverbear.com UnixBench scores. Now to be be perfectly honest they use Xen, and Xen doesn't allow any software to max out the CPU. On my E5 nodes I get pathetic UnixBench scores for Xen, even with heigh CPU weights but the virtual machines are still fast as hell. Xen allocates CPU resources for VMs in relation to each other, so that's another thing to consider, and only uses the weights when every VM wants 100% of the allocated vCPUs.