Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slow SSH
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Slow SSH

IxapeIxape Member
edited November 2011 in General

What can be done about laggy SSH connections?

Comments

• Are you using CentOS?

• Nope - Debian.

• jhjh Member

If it's just the login take a look at the UseDNS setting in sshd_config. If it's SSH itself then your server load probably has something to do with it.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • My SSH connections lag a lot when the ethernet cable falls out of my laptop forcing it to use wifi.

• @jtodd said: If it's just the login take a look at the UseDNS setting in sshd_config. If it's SSH itself then your server load probably has something to do with it.

Agree

Otherwise.. stop pr0n downloading

• Sometimes iptables is behind that, try to login while disabling it.

• SSH over USB is epically fast.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@yomero said: Otherwise.. stop pr0n downloading

LOL. Sometimes, it's just the providers fault tho.

• Drop OpenSSH for Dropbear, it seems to be a lot quicker to me.

• @Kairus said: Drop OpenSSH for Dropbear, it seems to be a lot quicker to me.

I have the DNS problem, and seems that dropbear doesn't have a setting to fix this, unfortunately

• If you're running Xeoncross' version of lowendscript, increase the number of ssh connections from 3 to 5. I had to do that as, for whatever reason, i could only connect with sftp or ssh but not both until I did that.

For me, lagging on ssh connections is related to the wireless connection. At the library, where there's a decent connection, it goes right through. At Panera, it's slow.

Also connect to the Ip address and not the domain. That seems to work for me as well.

• maybe if you connect with putty try unchecking the disable nagle algorithm and enabling compression ? Thats helped me before. Though some providers shells do just seem slower in general - not sure why (slow being when i press a key it doesnt update on screen)

• I would think compression would make it worse since that makes it an extra step or layer it has to go through. I know with the file cashing we do on our CMSes, if we can do it, we compress the saved or cached pages but anything that's live is left uncompressed.