Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the deal with kimsufi? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the deal with kimsufi?

2»

Comments

• @tridinebandim said: i remember a page to transfer services like domain or server

it asks you the ovh number of owner and the number of new owner , dont know what happens then :)

Thanks for the heads up, but I can't see anything like that in the panel.

• Found it,
    Administration->procedures
    www.ovh.co.uk/cgi-bin/procedure/procedureChangeOwner.cgi

id like to have it too :)

• @Jack said: Did they let you have access back?

ofc.. but it took a couple hours for me to realized they have(had?) a broken log messages (use dot instead colon for Mac/HW addr format) example : the attackers 02.00.aa.cc.dd.ee arp bla2. (please note it was written in France)

• @tridinebandim said: Found it,

Administration->procedures
    www.ovh.co.uk/cgi-bin/procedure/procedureChangeOwner.cgi

Got it, cheers. It's with @Jack for now, but if he decides he doesn't want it, it's all yours.

@Jack - Just need your OVH Nichandle by the looks of things.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Wow, that is cool :)
    Too bad I cant get service from them, would have been a cool thing to test.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited November 2012

@HalfEatenPie said: Exactly what @Maounique said. Basically, anything that brings attention to your box.

Thanks. I was thinking if abusing the resource on the box can also be an issue. E.g. eating too much bandwidth. Too much disk activity. etc

• Just a heads up to anyone looking to transfer a KimSufi box - predictably, it's far from easy. You have to complete a paper form that then needs to be send by post (fax isn't acceptable) along with copies of photo ID from both the current and new owners. Lots of aggro, and probably not worth it unless you're moving over a business :-/

• OrcwormOrcworm Member
    edited November 2012

@Nekki said: Just a heads up to anyone looking to transfer a KimSufi box - predictably, it's far from easy.

Can also just change all the contacts to a different OVH ID, not the official way but it seems to work just as well if you're only moving one or two boxes.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited November 2012

@Orcworm said: Can also just change all the contacts to a different OVH ID, not the official way but it seems to work just as well if you're only moving one or two boxes.

That method gives all your personal details (as they're permanently stored in the 'emails' section) to whoever you're handing over to however, not an ideal situation, especially as the servers could end up in an unknown (to you) third party's hands.

@jcaleb said: Thanks. I was thinking if abusing the resource on the box can also be an issue. E.g. eating too much bandwidth. Too much disk activity. etc

No, it is your box you do what you want with it, if it breaks physically, they will replace whatever is broken, wont ask questions why you are burning 3 disks a year.
    BW is metered more or less, you can max the port on what is unmetered, they will not mind.
    At least, never heard anyone being bothered about that. There are also advantages being with a huge company, they don't feel "abuse", they have the network to take it (there is a completely different thing about DDoS) and cant be bothered to monitor too closely.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited November 2012

@Maounique said: they have the network to take it (there is a completely different thing about DDoS) and cant be bothered to monitor too closely.

@Maounique thank you for the explanations. you mean you wont feel ddos attack from their servers?

From what I know they monitor incoming DDoS closely. Outgoing... I dont know, never heard anyone bragging about sneaking attacks under OVH supervision, I dont have that kind of friends :P
    Looking at some DDoSes here OVH never came to surface, so I think they monitor, otherwise we would have heard from their booters much more often given the size of the network.

• I think i remember receiving an ipv6 DoS attack from OVH some time ago. Of course it could be spoofed source, but who dould bother spoofing it for ipv6..

• I had a Kimsufi 2G for quite some time until I switched to an even cheaper "mKS 2G" this month which essentially was the same hardware in my case except for the smaller hard drive (500 GB instead of 1 TB). If you don't need any (software) support, the low-end Kimsufis come at an unbeatable price. OVH's backbone is so fast that I'm routing all my home internet traffic over my Kimsufi. I'm on a 100mbit cable at home and my bandwidth to the U.S. for instance has increased 10 times compared to the overloaded transit routes my ISP uses. I'm very impressed with what OVH does tech-wise.

Make sure you check out that video about their new DC in Canada, pretty cool stuff if you're into that sort of thing.