Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solus client API stops working without warning?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Solus client API stops working without warning?

DamianDamian Member
edited November 2012 in Providers

We have a client who is attempting to use the client API in Solus to check if his VPS is up or not. He has stated that "API says its offline and it cannot connect to the solusvm panel."

We've tried cycling his API access off/on, and rebooting the VM that the Solus master runs in. iptables doesn't show any chains dropping for the IP he's connecting from.

Anyone else experienced Solus client API arbitrarily not working?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2012

Nope not specifically with the client API, can the client telnet in to the relevant ports when it says it is offline? I have had something similar about a year ago, I really never found a fix for it I just changed the order of things in the lighty config slightly and restarted the service, never been back since.

• Does his VM root password have special characters in? or console? That really screws things up in SolusVM (networking not working correctly, api derps etc) best to check that first.

Phil

• @AnthonySmith said: I really never found a fix for it I just changed the order of things in the lighty config slightly and restarted the service

Maybe i'll see if there's some weirdness in there...

@PhilND said: Does his VM root password have special characters in? or console? That really screws things up in SolusVM (networking not working correctly, api derps etc) best to check that first.

Would this apply even for client API, using arbitrary users and keys?

• @Damian seen it happen with a user using our solus API, the special chars literally mess EVERYTHING up not just the clients VM.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It is hard to track as not all special chars are at fault. Some work some not.

• host node is blocking ? i had a similar issue

• DamianDamian Member
    edited November 2012

We asked the client for permission to connect to the client API with his API info, and all of us are able to connect without issue. So it's at working properly, at least... now we're working on possibilities on why he's unable to do so too.

• @Damian explain to your client that using SolusVM to check whether his VPS is working is plain wrong since SolusVM can be wrong too. He should instead monitor some application inside his VPS (i.e. nginx serving some cgi which outputs some content and he must check if the output is what he expects it to be).

• @rds100 I do both, checking the API and VPS status as this
    API VPS 0 0 offline 0 1 api lies 1 0 vps hung? 1 1 all ok

• @luxor

that's actually quite nice :)

• Yeah, it's nice but in reality you probably only care about the (0, 0) and (1, 0) cases.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@Damian said: We asked the client for permission to connect to the client API with his API info, and all of us are able to connect without issue. So it's at working properly, at least... now we're working on possibilities on why he's unable to do so too.

@Damian .. we had a similar issue. One of our clients used the internet through their college network. Since most colleges block ports, they definitely block port 5353/5656 (solus), thus it works for you and not for him.

:)

Regards,
    R. Alkhaili

• The client regenerated his keys (again) and then it started working. Good game, solus....