Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap UK/EU VPS for personal cloud use (ownCloud)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap UK/EU VPS for personal cloud use (ownCloud)

SirusSirus Member
edited July 2015 in Requests

Hey guys,

I'm after a cheap UK VPS for personal cloud storage (Will be installing ownCloud on it to use for personal/work file backup via PC and Phone) I'd prefer it to be in the UK since I am as well but other EU countries will be considered if they can meet the requirements.

Requirements:
1 CPU
512MB RAM (More if possible)
50GB HDD (More if possible)
1TB+ Bandwidth on 1Gbps
1x IPv4 (IPv6 doesn't matter)

Server will only use what is required to run ownCloud as well Webmin and an FTP for myself and possibly a few family members/friends.

I'd prefer to pay for the whole year in advance and I have a budget of $5/mo and paid quarterly, I can push it a little higher if needed. But even lower would be awesome ;D

I know the budget is on the lower side of things, but I also know it's more than doable (Before anyone tells me it's impossible)

Comments

• I'm not sure about ownCloud, but HostWithLinux offers 2GB of RAM, 50GB SSD cached disk on OpenVZ at $5/mo ($15 quarterly) in the UK: https://billing.hostwithlinux.net/order.php?step=0&productGroup=17

You may check Clouvider as well, but I think you might need to increase the budget.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2015

If you could go with USA, Cloudshards has this within your budget:

1 CPU core

320MB RAM

250GB RAID50 Disk Space

1TB traffic

1Gbps uplink

1x IPv4

8x IPv6

KVM/SolusVM

$4.75/month

• bersybersy Member
    edited July 2015

UK Xen, NL Xen/OVZ Inception Hosting offers.

UK KVM http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/54315/serversnv-uk-ovz-kvm-vps-from-1-month

NL KVM http://vultr.com

DE OVZ ZXPlay 800GB offer I assume you already have this one?

DE KVM MyRSK Cloud Bundle offer is still available I guess.

NL/SE KVM https://hosthatch.com/storage-vps

NL/RO OVZ HostSailor (afflink), RONL50VE - 50-65% onetime off.

Radi said: If you could go with USA, Cloudshards has this within your budget:

Read OPs request twice over, please.

• Ramnode cached plan in NL for $5/mo with 150GB storage. or if 40GB would do the standard plan is $3.50/mo

discounts for longer contract lengths too, and ANY10 for 10% off as well

• SirusSirus Member
    edited July 2015

>

Great suggestions, thanks man I'll have to check them out.

>

Thanks for the suggestions man, those seem pretty good for what I want, and I do have a ZXPlay 800gb from @AshleyUK some of the best hosting I've come across, brilliant support too, highly recommended. I use mine for a filehost/plex server.

>

I have a couple VPS (US) @Ramnode now and they are great, was just trying to see if there were any UK options first, since it better suits my needs.

>

Thank you for the suggestion, I already have plenty of great US VPS (Crissic/FlipHost/Ramnode etc) but I was specifically looking for UK if possible, if not then the best deal I could get on an EU alternative.

Thanked by 1Verelox
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2015

How about time4vps.eu Lithuania?

1 GB RAM with 4 TB Bandwidth and 1 TB Disk for 3.99 EUR/monthly.

• bersybersy Member

Radi said: How about time4vps.eu Lithuania?

100mbit

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2015

bersy said: 100mbit

I wonder does the OP really have a Gbit Internet at home or his office, that the 100 Mbit VPS would become a bottleneck? (Or perhaps wrote "on 1 Gbps" just in case, without thinking much)

• SirusSirus Member
    edited July 2015

>

I have a 152mbit connection at home and I said on 1gbps because I don't want the bottleneck of a shared 100mbit and the emails of "using too much bandwidth and affecting other users" that will inevitably come with it when burst downloading at higher speeds. I understand that I'm not getting anything dedicated and I'd never expect to, but in my experience you're allowed to use more/burst more frequently with a 1gbps line, rather than a 100mbit one. That and the whole potentially oversold thing.

Though I do see that time4vps says each vps gets a dedicated 100mbit, so that might be something I'll look into.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2015

Sirus said: I have a 152mbit connection at home

152 Mbit upload too?

Sirus said: bottleneck of a shared 100mbit

100 Mbit is not necessarily shared 100 Mbit, especially if it's not unmetered.
    More like, all VPSes on a node share 1 or 10 Gbit, with each capped to 100 Mbit.
    And if they are not unmetered, you won't see anything even close to congestion.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • cociucociu Member

CPU: 2 Core

RAM: 2 Gb ECC

Hdd: 30 Gb

Ipv4 address : 1 included

Port: 1 Gbps

Located in Romania

30 tb/mo traffic included

price :1.99eur/mo

you can order here https://secure.hostsolutions.ro/cart.php?a=add&pid=124

Thanked by 1muratai
  • SirusSirus Member

@rm_ said:

Not the same upload at home, but work upload is much faster and that is where I spend the majority of my time/doing work. (There will also most likely be multiple users due to family/friends etc)

I also understand that it's not necessarily shared, but a lot of the time it is shared and I just wanted to avoid the whole mess in general.

• BruceBruce Member

I can offer you:

1GB RAM
    100GB HDD
    1Gb port
    1TB transit
    London DC
    OpenVZ

$10/m or $100/yr

happy to setup a trial for a day if you want to feel the quality

• bersybersy Member
    edited July 2015
  • BruceBruce Member

@Jack said:

Virtus Enfield. I'm renting a dedi from @clouvider

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

+1 @Bruce is a pleasure to work with. Definitely recommend!

Thanked by 1Bruce
  • @Verelox said:
    I'm not sure about ownCloud, but HostWithLinux offers 2GB of RAM, 50GB SSD cached disk on OpenVZ at $5/mo ($15 quarterly) in the UK: https://billing.hostwithlinux.net/order.php?step=0&productGroup=17

You may check Clouvider as well, but I think you might need to increase the budget.

It's fairly easy to setup owncloud, heck there is even a repo for some of the more popular distros that allow it to be installed/updated via the package maanger. It's essentially a PHP webapp.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2015

Verelox said: You may check Clouvider as well, but I think you might need to increase the budget.

Sorry, I missed that earlier! Thanks for mentioning! :)

Thanked by 1Verelox
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Sirus,

We can do this for you no problem.

Our servers are located in Central Europe (Lithuania) but it's only about 40ms ping to the UK and we have IPs that appear to be located in UK if needed :-)

Specs are as follows:

Hypervisor: XenServer
    HDD: 50GB
    RAM: 512MB
    vCPU Cores: 1
    Bandwidth: 1TB
    IPv4: 1

Monthly Fee: $4
    Annual Fee: $40