Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need VPS on LA (Quadranet) for heavy traffic website - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need VPS on LA (Quadranet) for heavy traffic website

2»

Comments

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited July 2015

@linuxthefish said:
    So running a Tor relay (CPU/IO issues aside) or heavy download mirror on an OVH VPS with a clear 10TB limit and actually using all that bandwidth is malicious?

no if it is a valid justification like that sure that isn't malicious it would be considered a valid justification and wouldn't be considered malicious since it the justification doesn't have any hint of possible malicious intentions.

although I like the response by @4n0nx that it is possible the use would come with possibility as no one will really know if they plan to do anything once they get on the nodes. as their justification could be valid and wouldn't cause any suspicion but then again I have heard the old saying "if you give a person an inch they take a mile." so I am not on either side of the table but neutral on that issue.

4n0nx said: timnboys said: there is no legal reason for having that much specs for anything that isn't for malicious reasons

Use comes with possibility

• PwnerPwner Member

@timnboys said:
    really because I wouldn't avoid my service because of that because first of all if you are going to use that amount of specs you better be coming up with a good justification for it(which is the reason for the malicious comment as I have yet to see a valid and good justification for those specs.)

It's not your job to decide what the customer needs, it's your job to provide what the customer requests for (keyword: provider). If it turns out to be abuse, then you do as needed and terminate them. However, if you just sit around and think "well, I don't believe he needs that many resources, he must be doing something shady" and decide to not take people on as a customers, you sure aren't going to run a very successful business.

• @Pwner said:
    It's not your job to decide what the customer needs, it's your job to provide what the customer requests for (keyword: provider). If it turns out to be abuse, then you do as needed and terminate them. However, if you just sit around and think "well, I don't believe he needs that many resources, he must be doing something shady" and decide to not take people on as a customers, you sure aren't going to run a very successful business.

First of all I don't do this: "However, if you just sit around and think "well, I don't believe he needs that many resources, he must be doing something shady" and decide to not take people on as a customers"
    if they can justify that amount of resources sure I will take them on.
    and no I don't think everytime I see a person needs that many resources he does something shady as that would be the worst hosting provider ever as I don't censor or do anything like that(have you read my tos pal proving that: https://cubedata.net/Terms.htm)?

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited July 2015

Devonius said: do you have test IP for testing?

It would be much better to test on production. Anycast IP's does not work adequate with IP pinging, that's just not possible to measure with Geo-decentralized systems.
    Traffic routes can be changed even per-request. When you make a query (this is basically HTTP request or TCP connection) routes is being optimized for you right at the moment.

The best way to work:

1. Explain in PM your use case. For what exactly "heavy traffic" is needed - is it big file downloads? Or Big number of HTML pages requests? Is it anonymous or authorized traffic? How frequently is it updated? What's the current situation (give URL and IP's)? Explain the application stack (on which is it written now? by whom? will it be possible to refactor it in case if it will be needed?). Just to be sure tell also the countries and/or towns which you care most about.

2. I'll prepare the customized setup for your case and process with migration.

3. You'll have 7 free days to overview the speed metrics. If you will be happy with them, i can continue to host it. Otherwise i'll try to tune it more. If i'll not able to give you needed numbers, you can move anytime.

Devonius said: most all of bandwidth is takes by images even I used cached plugins.

If this is the only problem you face, then there are no problem. It's one of the easiest situation - static content caching without expiration time. It will be super fast :)

• DevoniusDevonius Member
    edited July 2015

@techhelper1 said:
    Devonius:

7-8TB of bandwidth from a small VPS is an alarming amount of data to be passed through it. Why not save up and get a dedicated server from them? Why don't you use a CDN for the site and spread the load? There are so many things you can do to solve your bandwidth problem.

thanks, I registered Cloudflare CDN and it saved 90% of my bandwidth, so I don't need to move from my current LET provider,

@timnboys said:
    because there is no legal reason for having that much specs for anything that isn't for malicious reasons

I can understand that you don't ever have any heavy traffic website before,

Below report is to Increase your general knowledge that real website traffic needs that amount bandwidth.

This is my new cloudflare cdn analytics report in last 24 hours I have more than 22k Unique visitor in a day and have more than 150k page view in a day

Dear admin, problem solved, please close this thread

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2015

@timnboys said:
    because there is no legal reason for having that much specs for anything that isn't for malicious reasons

Are you the person that was sponsoring the (rather crappy) project called "OENProject"? Also, your website looks like crap - the TOS has a random comment tag "-->" near the top.

• yes that is because during coding the web page and putting comments for myself I must have forgotten to remove that extra comment(as for example who else codes their own html pages anymore that would be me I still code them by hand.)

• @Devonius said:
    Dear admin, problem solved, please close this thread

Devonius said: @timnboys said: because there is no legal reason for having that much specs for anything that isn't for malicious reasons

I can understand that you don't ever have any heavy traffic website before,

Below report is to Increase your general knowledge that real website traffic needs that amount bandwidth.

This is my new cloudflare cdn analytics report in last 24 hours I have more than 22k Unique visitor in a day and have more than 150k page view in a day

Yes I said before not against any high traffic site but you atleast need to give a valid reason why you need that much bandwidth as you showing proof you actually consume that amount would be allowed on my service because then the usage is justified and wouldn't be considered "abnormal" sorry but that comes from my computer security training.

• @timnboys

You can stop spamming your site link now.

• stabstab Member

What do you mean, it's a great site. I particularly love the part where the front page loads endlessly and times out.

• @AutoSnipe said:
    Can i ask why Quadranet Specifically? I can do this in Los Angeles, but not in Quadranet's DC.

Have you test ip or looking glass

This discussion has been closed.