Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rasky, open source KVM over IP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rasky, open source KVM over IP

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
edited July 2015 in General

Source: https://www.nexlab.net/product/rasky/

About this project

Rasky is a low cost open source (hardware and software) KVM over IP built on top of the well known RaspberryPI model 2B.

The primary goal of the project is to provide a low cost and completely open source alternative to commercially available KVM over IP and other remote consoles like iDRAC, iLO and so on.

The expansion board for Rpi will be engineered in a way that is suitable for DIY PCB makers, and a 3d printable model of the enclosure will be available too, with an explicit goal to make it feasible to build at home a complete KVM for under 150 euro or to buy one assembled device for less than 200 euro.

Features:

For the first release it will feature:

• VGA video capture
  • USB keyboard and mouse emulation
  • Web (ajax VNC) and VNC remote access over IP
  • 2 programmable and remote controllable Relays to switch on/off the remote machine and to virtually “press” a button (reset?)
  • 2 digital inputs to attach sensors
  • Completely open source design for software, hardware and box will be released (early and often). License will be GPL or similar.

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited July 2015

jmginer said: to buy one assembled device for less than 200 euro.

Lantronix Spider's cost was a little less that this the last time i was shopping.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

What on earth is included hardware wise to Justify the extra €170 on top of the rPI?

Seems excessive to me :s

Thanked by 1telephone
  • rds100 said: Lantronix Spider's cost was a little lest that this the last time i was shopping.

Exactly. I'd stick with Lantronix unless there's a major advantage, cost included.

• jhjh Member

Far too expensive - as others have said, Lantronix works great and costs less than that.

• techhelper1techhelper1 Member
    edited July 2015

@AnthonySmith said:
    What on earth is included hardware wise to Justify the extra €170 on top of the rPI?

Seems excessive to me :s

Uhh the VGA capture, emulating a USB keyboard and mouse over the GPIO, virtual media streaming support would be nice. The rest goes into the development of the web and VNC interface. Which is a lot better than using Java to work with the Spiders.

(CC: @jhadley)
    BTW 250 Euro = 276.78 US Dollar. A new spider is $356 + shipping. It's an $80 difference.

@concerto49 said:
    Exactly. I'd stick with Lantronix unless there's a major advantage, cost included.

How exactly is the Lantronix any better besides virtual media? I'd like to remove Java from my workstation one day.

• techhelper1 said: (CC: @jhadley) BTW 250 Euro = 276.78 US Dollar. A new spider is $356 + shipping. It's an $80 difference.

It's 278.65 bucks on Amazon. And you get can it now.
    http://www.amazon.com/1PORT-USB-Remote-KVM-Spider/dp/B000OH5MDO

In my opinion, it doesn't worth the money.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited July 2015

techhelper1 said: How exactly is the Lantronix any better besides virtual media? I'd like to remove Java from my workstation one day.

It's a tried and tested solution that costs less. Everyone else agrees. It's not like it's something we use all day - only when IPMI isn't an option, so it's not as much of a hassle as you imagine.

It says the primary goal is a low cost alternative, but it doesn't seem to be checking out.

Thanked by 1martinandrino
  • nextimenextime Member
    edited July 2015

@jhadley said:
    Far too expensive - as others have said, Lantronix works great and costs less than that.

Lantronix cost more than 200 euro ( the cheapest are ~ 300 as i know ) and doesn't have relays, for example.

But more than that, this project is about build an open source kvm that you can also make at home.

Also, consider that a final revision is 185€ taxes and shipping included, this make it ~ 150€ without taxes and shipping, so, ~ 1/2 of lantronix.

Again, the first goal is an open source kvm that can be built at home low cost alternative

• nextime said: low cost alternative

I don't really like the idea of anything "low cost than can be built at home" on a datacenter environment.

• Great project. I would definitely be interested in this product for home use. No Java requirement and the ability to modify the software is just fantastic. I really hope the project succeeds.

Thanked by 1nextime
  • martinandrino said: "low cost than can be built at home" on a datacenter environment.

I don't think this meant to be used in DataCenters. But small home hosted environments.

• nextimenextime Member
    edited July 2015

@martinandrino said:
    I don't really like the idea of anything "low cost than can be built at home" on a datacenter environment.

In today datacenters you usually have relatively recent servers where, thanks to ilo, idrac and similar, you don't need to use an external kvm over ip.

Different situation is for small offices, with or without a little ced, home users and so on, where many desktop/workstation machines or little mini-itx are used as servers

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

The Lantronix Spider KVMs are going to have to undergo some updates soon. They are based on older Java versions and have some issues in newer Java versions. They have pretty slow virtual media. They also have issues with the virtual media with some of the more recent Linux distros, such as CentOS 7. It's pretty difficult to install CentOS 7 with a Lantronix Spider.

I'd like to see a more modern alternative that wasn't dependent on Java, even if it costs the same or perhaps even slightly more.

Thanked by 2NeoXiD nextime
  • The Adder stuff is quite nice, I have an older ALIP that I managed to pickup cheap off ebay and I quite like it, only reason I'm not using it at the moment is the machine I have in Co-Lo now has IMPI (Previous one didn't)

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2015

I really love this project

• Yeah, Lantronix KVM is superior in price, functionality, and probably performance.

@qps I've had no problems with CentOS 7 other than the fact I hate it's new install interface. Kickstart is the way to go.