Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

virtualizor windows os issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

virtualizor windows os issue

AICAIC Member

I am trying to install windows server on kvm vps from ISO. I am getting the password error every time. It is looking a bug in the virtualizor.

The following errors were found :

There were some errors while setting the password.

Any one have experience to resolve the password error issue.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Password must meet complexity requirements

Description
    This security setting determines whether passwords must meet complexity requirements. Complexity requirements are enforced when passwords are changed or created.
    If this policy is enabled, passwords must meet the following minimum requirements when they are changed or created:
    Passwords must not contain the user's entire samAccountName (Account Name) value or entire displayName (Full Name) value. Both checks are not case sensitive:

The samAccountName is checked in its entirety only to determine whether it is part of the password. If the samAccountName is less than three characters long, this check is skipped.

The displayName is parsed for delimiters: commas, periods, dashes or hyphens, underscores, spaces, pound signs, and tabs. If any of these delimiters are found, the displayName is split and all parsed sections (tokens) are confirmed not to be included in the password. Tokens that are less than three characters in length are ignored, and substrings of the tokens are not checked. For example, the name "Erin M. Hagens" is split into three tokens: "Erin," "M," and "Hagens." Because the second token is only one character long, it is ignored. Therefore, this user could not have a password that included either "erin" or "hagens" as a substring anywhere in the password.

Passwords must contain characters from three of the following five categories:

Uppercase characters of European languages (A through Z, with diacritic marks, Greek and Cyrillic characters)

Lowercase characters of European languages (a through z, sharp-s, with diacritic marks, Greek and Cyrillic characters)

Base 10 digits (0 through 9)

Nonalphanumeric characters: ~!@#$%^&;*_-+=`|(){}[]:;"'<>,.?/

Any Unicode character that is categorized as an alphabetic character but is not uppercase or lowercase. This includes Unicode characters from Asian languages.

source: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786468(v=ws.10).aspx

• AICAIC Member

Followed the rules but still have the same issue.
    The following errors were found :

There were some errors while setting the password.

I have used the password: 8CY5@dv3U$#q3

Do you have any clue what would be the issue.

Thanks for your time

• AIC said: There were some errors while setting the password.

Does it say what the errors are? or is it like other windows error that say there was a problem? Also this is at the setup process?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

AIC said: There were some errors while setting the password.

That's a virtualizor message not a windows one, you cant set windows passwords from virtualizor because it cant mount the ntfs file system, and even if it could its a bit more complicated to reset a windows password.

You will have to do it from the OS or by using another ISO that can reset windows passwords.

• AICAIC Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    You will have to do it from the OS or by using another ISO that can reset windows passwords.

I am using the reinstall feature of the virtualizor, I did try two different ISO, But the same issue.

How can skip the step to use the default password.

thanks

• There was once that I had a problem with SolusVM, whereby libguestfs was not installed and resulted in password reset failure.

Not sure if that applies here though.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@AIC said:

Why don't you pre-setup the password in the OS and make a image or get urself an image cuz I set random passwords and never had an issue bcuz those passwords have nothing to do with OS.

@AIC what are you talking about? when is the last time you installed windows and it had a default password?!?!

Virtualizor cant set windows passwords, use an iso you dont need to put a password in to add an iso.

For anything else contact virtualizor support if your trying to use a kvm Windows teplate that they provide.

• AICAIC Member
    edited July 2015

@AnthonySmith said:
    AIC what are you talking about? when is the last time you installed windows and it had a default password?!?!

Virtualizor cant set windows passwords, use an iso you dont need to put a password in to add an iso.

For anything else contact virtualizor support if your trying to use a kvm Windows teplate that they provide.

I have downloaded the ISO from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012. I have created a template for the windows installation.

All gone well but when i am going to install windows on vps it asking for the new password and when i provided the password it is creating the password issue.

Any one have an idea,

thanks

edited July 2015

AIC said: All gone well but when i am going to install windows on vps it asking for the new password and when i provided the password it is creating the password issue.

Any one have an idea,

for the 3rd time.... VIRTUALIZOR CANNOT SET WINDOWS PASSWORDS you need to contact virtualizor support for a work around if it insists that you enter one at all or scrap the template and just use the iso.

You create windows templates pre initial password stage so this is all irrelevant, unless its yet another thing that @virtualizor decided not to bother doing properly because properly = effort so instead they gave it the old "Some error" which helps no one with anything.

@virtualizor

• AnthonySmith said: VIRTUALIZOR CANNOT SET WINDOWS PASSWORDS

SolusVM also doesn't support password setting up at initialization. Case is they cannot mount NTFS to change password and also changing windows password is bit tricky. Also as anthony have said there is no default password for Windows but you'll have to setup one at first run.

sdglhm said: SolusVM also doesn't support password setting up at initialization.

Indeed, but it lets you deploy a windows template without forcing you to enter a password it cant do anything with :)

• AnthonySmith said: but it lets you deploy a windows template without forcing you to enter a password it cant do anything with :)

Yup. But I don't think in this case OP can use it. Isn't it ?

sdglhm said: Yup. But I don't think in this case OP can use it. Isn't it ?

I don't understand.

• AnthonySmith said: I don't understand.

Oh. My humble apologies. I've mistaken this thread to another one.

• AICAIC Member

I am working on the issue, I will post the solution here when it is done.

• AIC said: I am working on the issue, I will post the solution here when it is done.

Would like to know. It would be a interesting workaround

• AICAIC Member

the issue was "The virsh is not taking the proper uri." The virtualizor support corrected the issue.
    I have asked for the changes they have made, will post if get any response from them.
    Reinstallation is working fine but still rebuilding have the password issue.

regards:
    imrna

• AICAIC Member

The issue is resolved now.
    There was a package missing which was causing the issue:
    yum install libguestfs-winsupport

After installing the above package, it started working fine.

hope will help some one in future.

Thanks every one.

Thanked by 1Bruce
  • BruceBruce Member
    edited August 2015

anyone using the virtualizor-provided windows templates ? I can create a VPS with them, and connect with noVNC, but I can't login.

at the bottom of THIS post it lists default passwords, which also don't work.

I read the above info about NOT being able to set windows passwords from virtualizor. OK, but then what's the password for these templates?

In v2.7.1 they added this:

[Feature] Windows password strength checker has been added. If the template has “windows” in its name, the windows password strength will apply. This is to adhere to the Windows Password scheme in various Windows OS.

not sure if that's relevant or not, considering the advice above about windows passwords. I'm presuming that for these supplied templates there is a method to set passwords.

also check libguestfs-winsupport is installed :)

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2015

**Virtualizor windows remplate password

Windows 2003 empty

Windows 2008 user have to set via VNC

Windows 2012 admin@123

• Virtualizor can set windows password. This was a feature we added long back. The root password you set will be the admin password in windows. @bruce you can pm me and I will help you out

• @AnthonySmith just read your post above. Wanted to tell everyone virtualizor supports windows password setting.

@virtualizor said:
    AnthonySmith just read your post above. Wanted to tell everyone virtualizor supports windows password setting.

For forgotten passwords on pre installed servers via template or ISO?

• You can reset the password via virtualizor on an existing windows vm as well. Just use the password reset wizard in the enduser ui or admin editvs utility.

• @virtualizor said:
    You can reset the password via virtualizor on an existing windows vm as well. Just use the password reset wizard in the enduser ui or admin editvs utility.

that's what's I'm having trouble with. have PM'd you

edited August 2015

virtualizor said: You can reset the password via virtualizor on an existing windows vm as well. Just use the password reset wizard in the enduser ui or admin editvs utility.

K going to install it to test because that's actually quite impressive, if that's not true your refunding the licence and paying for my time.

Test will be 2012 R2 setup as a domain controller and installed via ISO, if virtualizor can reset the domadmin password I will be impressed.

update:

Right.... its a batch file that gets written in to the startup in all users with net user commands for changing passwords which probably wont work if your running a domain controller properly and any RT AV will kill it as that's how windows servers/desktops were backdoored by script kiddies back in 2001

Sadly the dependencies for this to be able to happen are not installed by virtualizor as standard and there are many cases where it will fail and when it does fail virtualizor simply tells you "there was some error"

So as usual, a fairly smart way of doing things in terms of the core idea but then the implementation and execution is half baked as always with virtualizor.

Thanked by 1Foul
  • Sadly the dependencies for this to be able to happen are not installed by virtualizor as standard and there are many cases where it will fail and when it does fail virtualizor simply tells you "there was some error"

Which dependecny was found missing ? Also we are working on further improving the feature by removing the script entirely.

half baked as always with virtualizor.

If you wouldnt mind, please post the missing dependencies. Will have it checked.