Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Closed topic
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Closed topic

jazz1611jazz1611 Member
edited July 2015 in Providers

Closed topic

Comments

• it's a sad reality, however you shouldn't depend on the provider entirely for keeping your data retained.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

Get daily off-site backups yourself, no matter what your provider tells you they do or do not regarding backups.

It'll be a much better situation when the 'nightmare' day comes and you have too many backup sources to pick from, rather than have no backup sources and end up losing everything.

Can't stress this enough.

Thanked by 2Scion MeanServers
  • If he don't backup, must tell me for backup data but he don't too. Btw, data is gone and can't do anything to save it.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

It's a good thing the data wasn't important or you'd be in trouble.

• This is why you should have backups...

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

Raids cards can and do fail. Never rely on raid alone. Unless a provider explicitly tells you that they do offserver/offsite backups, especially for a dedicated server any online service, they are your responsibility, not the provider's. Never assume a provider does backups for you automatically. Even if the provider does take backups, it is extremely important to take your own backups frequently as well. You can never have enough backups, space is cheap too these days.

That being said, when you ordered, did your package include Fevvo doing backups for you?

• BradBrad Member
    edited July 2015

Amazed at how people still depend on their provider to backup their (important) data.

Read, or at least skim through the Terms of Service you are agreeing to when you hit that sign up button.

Thanked by 1MeanServers
  • Votes for title to be changed to "I didn't backup my data, lost my data and I blame my provider for no valid reasoning."

Thanked by 2Maounique sambling
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

We do take backups in some cases, such as Biz plans, but that is only for full bare metal restore and once a week. They are taken for our peace of mind, not for customers, if they lose data as a result of hacking, updates gone wrong etc, then it is not our duty to restore it, it is also very hard as it has to be extracted first from the disk dump we take, so, we usually do not restore it, and it is not free when we do.
    We offer free backup space, though, because the customer knows what needs to be backed up and when.

• jazz1611jazz1611 Member
    edited July 2015

@Brad i told you, if he don't backup for me. He need told me, for i doing backup my data before replace drives. but he don't told me too. Also i just upgrade to SSD in a week, and now all failed. He keep silient with me on 3 days with no reply email/skype/ticket. That enough for understand provider.

• PwnerPwner Member

@jazz1611 said:
    Brad i told you, if he don't backup for me. He need told me, for i doing backup my data before replace drives. but he don't told me too. Also i just upgrade to SSD in a week, and now all failed. He keep silient with me on 3 days with no reply email/skype/ticket. That enough for understand provider.

Whether he told you or not, it is still your responsibility to backup data that is important to you.

• Mod can close topic for me?

• @jazz1611 Honestly, a virtual server is no different than a dedicated server or a computer you own in the terms of backing up the data. You are responsible for doing it no matter what. If a provider offers backups, then it'll be advertised as a feature.

Next time, read the terms of service, privacy policy and any other legal documents before signing up with any service so you can't assume anything.

My company does weekly offsite backups in case of a hardware failure but our terms of service also makes the client aware that they're still ultimately responsible for backups if and when our system fails.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Why would you remove the original post?

• AkitoAkito Member

What @pwner said. It's your responsibility to take backups. Prior to swapping drives you should realize by yourself that this always implies a risk for your data; so back it up first. Nobody should have to tell you.

Data loss sucks big time but it's a fact that it happens and you can't deny it. All hardware can fail at one moment. Sometimes after years, sometimes the day after. So learn from this moment: always always take backups. Whether you expect troubles or not.

• @Clouvider said:
    Why would you remove the original post?

Someone will screenshot it and bring it back so I'm not worried.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @Clouvider recovery the post. i know my problem/issues. but he need support to me, and 3 days ago he dont response to me via email/skype/ticket.

• @jazz1611 said:
    Clouvider recovery the post. i know my problem/issues. but he need support to me, and 3 days ago he dont response to me via email/skype/ticket.

At this point you're probably extremely low priority.they've already explained to you what happened, but you're trying to play the angry customer card to try and get something out of them.

• ehabehab Member
    edited July 2015

@jazz1611 , please next time do not edit topic this way, it tells me this user made a mistake and i cannot learn anything. From now on Backup ... I'm backing up https://youtube.com/watch?v=2g76DUy7jKY

• Screenshot:

• JunJun Member

I feel sorry this happened to you.. but it's 100% your responsibility to back up your data unless this was a fully managed server. There's nothing much the provider can do to you. So did I learn this lesson in a hard way and I'm kind of backupphilia now.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@joodle said:
    Screenshot:

Nothing disappears from the Internets :-).

• SpiritSpirit Member

@jazz1611 please don't do this here ever again. Don't open public forum thread if you're not prepared to keep it.

Thanked by 2Clouvider HBAndrei
This discussion has been closed.