Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best OS for 256MB and Below - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best OS for 256MB and Below

2»

Comments

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

aldothetroll said: Windows Vista

Vista maybe too much for a small box. He should use Windows Millenium instead, the best OS microsoft ever produced. I wonder why did they change their product to crappy 7/8... :-P

Thanked by 1stackmutt
  • Is there a need for 32 bit?

• BruceBruce Member

@joodle said:
    Is there a need for 32 bit?

personally, I only use 64bit on a 64bitCPU. however some like 32bit OS, presumably as they have lower resource use. I don't know if that's real or not

Thanked by 1BlazeMuis
  • @Bruce said:
    personally, I only use 64bit on a 64bitCPU. however some like 32bit OS, presumably as they have lower resource use. I don't know if that's real or not

Lower ram use on 32 bit compared to 64bit? It's true but the difference is pretty small.

• 32bit CentOS. Running an InterWorx on it and ram usage about 86mb. Total memory is 300MB. Working very well.... :)

• @taronyu said: Oh yeah, most of them do. However there are also scripts out there that can strip down an existing installation to the bare minimum.

Could you post some links to said scripts?

• ClarkClark Member

32bit debian here. Works much better out of the box on low end servers.

• Yep, Debian minimal 32bit. But if you come from Ubuntu - there's no real big difference between them as Ubuntu is based on Debian. One of the first changes you'll see is that ls outputs aren't colorized by default. To enable colors, uncomment the following lines in ~/.bashrc:

export LS_OPTIONS='--color=auto'
    eval "dircolors"

That's it.

• nexusrainnexusrain Member
    edited July 2015

@aglodek said:

To remove a bunch of packages which are installed by default on non-minimal installtions and not all needed by everyone, try

apt-get purge apache* xinet* php* mysql* samba* postfix* sendmail* procmail* fetchmail* mailx* bind9* exim4* rsync* consolekit (on Debian / Ubuntu)

As seen here: https://www.bitforce.io/linux-server/die-ersten-10-dinge-die-man-mit-einem-linux-server-tun-sollte/

• aldothetroll said: Lower ram use on 32 bit compared to 64bit? It's true but the difference is pretty small.

"Small" is relative. For me, the same PHP processes consume double the RAM on 64bit compared to 32bit. That can become significant on a <= 128MB RAM box.

• @nexusrain said:

Thanks, but I'm looking for a script. Something that could be used as a starting point for automating this with Ansible.

• @aglodek said:

https://github.com/maxexcloo/Minstall

Something like this should do. :)

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @aglodek said:
    Thanks, but I'm looking for a script. Something that could be used as a starting point for automating this with Ansible.

You could put this line in a bash script?

`#!/bin/bash

apt-get purge ...`