Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestions on what to do...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestions on what to do...

sleddogsleddog Member

I'm getting emails from Walmart :)

No, not marketing spam, real transactional emails... order confirmation, order shipped, etc. With a real person's name (the same name every email).

I think someone signed up at Walmart for online shopping and made a typo in their gmail address, and accidentally entered my address.

I sent an email to Walmart, but never heard back, and I've received another "your order has shipped" message since then.

What would you do ?

Comments

• GM2015GM2015 Member

Mark their emails as spam and let their email ips be blacklisted. People love their email IPs getting blacklisted. Do that if they don't care. Why should you?

• BruceBruce Member

ignore them ?

happens to me too. if you don't know what the right addy is, what can you do

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Yes just send them to spam folder.

• GM2015 said: Mark their emails as spam

4n0nx said: Yes just send them to spam folder.

No, I won't do that. It's not Walmart's fault. It's not spam.

Bruce said: ignore them ?

Probably all I can do.

• ehabehab Member

isn't it obvious by now.... its the other sleddog.

Thanked by 1Abdussamad
  • Funny, I had the exact same thing happen to me.

I tried in vain to get their dim-witted customer service team to understand that someone else used my e-mail address. They kept insisting I update my account with the correct address. I just gave up.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I assume the emails contain the shipping address, so perhaps send a letter?

• Nekki said: I assume the emails contain the shipping address, so perhaps send a letter?

Yes, name and mailing address.

That's a good idea, I'll find an extra Christmas card and send :)

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited July 2015

Google that person and let them know. You have full name + location, should be enough to find a Facebook/Twitter profile - assuming the name isn't super common.

I get it all the time with someone who has the same last name. I have [lastname]@gmail.com and they screw something up in their registrations constantly. I just email back the person/company and go "wrong email"

• I have an extremely common email address, so I get things like this on a daily basis. For a long time I would try to contact the originating site to let them know what was happening. Almost 100% of the time, they would send an email to me telling me that someone had reported the problem and that I should update my email ASAP. This includes major players. For a while, my email was used by a kid on his Kindle Fire, and I was getting purchase notifications for all the apps he bought.

Now, I generally try sending a text if the shipping details include a phone number. That sometimes works. Otherwise, I filter it to a label and forget about it. If it's something like a dating site or spammy forum, I'll log in and change the email address to something random.

• mikeyur said: You have full name + location, should be enough to find a Facebook/Twitter profile

Tried that, but no definite match. Not everyone uses twitface....

• BruceBruce Member

plenty of fun to be had with that

I used to own blue-yonder.co.uk. used to get loads of email meant for blueyonder.co.uk (broadband company). some very interesting stuff sometimes

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I had a similar experience when i was getting details about my newly purchased and about to be installed satellite dish (in US). I did not wish to link my fake profile to anything in romania, so, unfortunately, could not help that guy. I continued to get invoices for it for some time, until it ceased some 2 years ago.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • rds100rds100 Member

So since you control the email go to wallmart's website and reset the password for the account they registered with your email address. This will make them stop using it, since they don't know the password and can't reset it.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

sleddog said: No, I won't do that. It's not Walmart's fault. It's not spam.

It is walmart's fault because they don't do double opt-in. And it is spam because you don't want to receive it.

• There usually an unsubscribe link at the bottom. Yes, I know it's not a mailing list but having an unsbuscribe link is important or you get into legal trouble because of the canspam act. So look at the email footer.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

I have the same issue and I've been trying to get the person to stop using my personal e-mail for years now without any luck and he is probably the sole reason I get spam at that address.

I gave him 2 years to fix it (with many requests to him, his co-workers, and his relatives) before taking more direct action to force him to stop using my address. I've since closed 3 PayPal accounts, cancelled 2 hotel reservations, stopped shipment on 6 online orders (2 couches in the same month one time), rescheduled 2 family lunches, and sent many ridiculous memes to his co-workers while they attempted to discuss performance evaluations and safety audits.

• @sleddog said:
    I think someone signed up at Walmart for online shopping and made a typo in their gmail address, and accidentally entered my address.

Stop using a Gmail address that can be trivially hit by a simple typo. Stop using anything that isn't at least a DEA. I haven't done any spam filtering for the last decade because it's trivially easy to generate email addresses that are hard to chance upon and easy to revoke.