Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Large Outbound Traffic??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Large Outbound Traffic??

stallionstallion Member

My dedicated server provider says that my server is pushing almost 100mbps which is eating up my bandwidth quota. Says I should check to see if my server is infected.

As I see the cpu load remains between 2-5 most of the time. I have cloudlinux and cageFS. The total bandwidth used by all clients "View Band Width usage" is about 200 G.
Even if the server is being misused or is infected how can the cpu remain between 2-5 while such huge data is being transferred from it(almost 5TB) ?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It can be, scripts to DDoS use little CPU, unless some special kinds of attacks.

• This traffic should show in "munin service monitor" ? right?

Thanked by 1noaman

Do this:
    uptime (you will see how long since last restart)
    then ifconfig (you will see how much traffic your interfaces did. Look for eth0. Then you will know how much per time unit.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Depends @Maounique. If uptime is 100 days and the attack last for 2 days, will it be accurate? No.

I somehow doubt it is such an uptime. OK, lets, assume it is that, then install and run iptraf to see all that goes on.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited July 2015

apt-get install bwm-ng

bwm-ng

q

nvm cloudlinux :<

• NomadNomad Member

@4n0nx said:
    apt-get install bwm-ng

bwm-ng

q

nvm cloudlinux :<

vnstats does the same job, no?

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Nomad said: vnstats does the same job, no?

I don't know? bwm-ng should show all interfaces I think...

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

+1 for iptraf or ifstat

• Does iptraf work with cPanel or along with cPanel? Do I really need such addissional programs if I already have cPanel?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@stallion said:
    Does iptraf work with cPanel or along with cPanel? Do I really need such addissional programs if I already have cPanel?

Yes and yes.

A server with cPanel is like a mono-industrial town. No matter what the industry makes there, e it bicycles, for example, people cannot eat/drink/take shelter in them, they have to have all the things, from houses to tap-water, so, while most work there, there are some which keep the town running. They do not interfere, rather help the main industry.

Thanked by 2raza19 stallion
  • raza19raza19 Veteran

@Maounique said:
    A server with cPanel is like a mono-industrial town. No matter what the industry makes there, e it bicycles, for example, people cannot eat/drink/take shelter in them, they have to have all the things, from houses to tap-water, so, while most work there, there are some which keep the town running. They do not interfere, rather help the main industry.

That's a wonderful analogy! I need to get u to write something for my upcoming platform.