Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About create more VM in one dedicated server ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

About create more VM in one dedicated server ?

vaotamvaotam Member
edited July 2015 in General

Example: if my dedicated server just have 8 cores, so i just can create 8 VPS (VM) right ? Or more ?

Comments

• vaotamvaotam Member

Please help !

• More

Thanked by 2vaotam HyperSpeed
  • BochiBochi Member

If you would like to have one core dedicated to each VM you're right.
    But usually you could assign far more ressources as the one available to your VMs - it's called "overprovisioning". ;)

Thanked by 1vaotam
  • vaotamvaotam Member

@linuxthefish said:
    More

How i can create more ??

• vaotamvaotam Member

@Bochi said:
    If you would like to have one core dedicated to each VM you're right.
    But usually you could assign far more ressources as the one available to your VMs - it's called "overprovisioning". ;)

How to use it sir ?

• @vaotam said:
    Example: if my dedicated server just have 8 cores, so i just can create 8 VPS (VM) right ? Or more ?

what virt are you using?? you've not explained much here

• @vaotam said:
    How i can create more ??

If it's OpenVZ you just keep creating - it won't stop you.

• BochiBochi Member
    edited July 2015

@vaotam said:
    How to use it sir ?

As it seems you are right at the beginning of the whole server and administration thing, I will keep it short and simple:
    Just assign the amount of ressources you want to each VM and your virtualization platform will do the rest for you. But abviously you then can't max out every single VM at the same time...

• elgselgs Member
    edited July 2015

Usually you can allocate reasonably more virtual resources than the real resource you have, in terms of CPU cores, RAM and disk space. It's very unlikely a virtual machine would use out all resources all the time. So let's say on average, the vm's are using 20% of CPU, 50% of RAM, and 30% disk storage. Then you probably can allocate 5x CPUs, 2x RAM and maybe 3x RAM. But you have to monitor the resource usage, because sometimes some vm might be really busy.

• Its the hard disks you need to worry about really.

• vaotamvaotam Member
    edited July 2015

So can i use ESXi to create more VM although limit cores ??

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited July 2015

A balance between hardware resources and node/vm stability should be what you go for, volume to be provisioned vary depending on hardware

if this confuses you, I am too! :P