Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server w/ boot drive + iSCSI storage - do you like? would you buy?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server w/ boot drive + iSCSI storage - do you like? would you buy?

Hey Guys,

I'd like to see what everyones thoughts are on dedicated servers that are 'baremetal' in terms of computing and memory, as well as your very own dedicated and on-board O/S boot drive with limited storage capacity.

You would then have 2 physical NICs - 1 would be used solely for Internet access, and 1 would be used solely and exclusively for a connection to iSCSI SAN storage where you would have ~100GB (or whatever) of storage space.

The 2 NIC's preventing you from having to share 1 single gigabit port for both Internet data and storage/iSCSI data and keeping performance high.

Would you buy such a setup? (THIS SETUP DESCRIBED ABOVE - NOT ANY OTHER POTENTIAL SIMILAR PRODUCTS ON THE MARKET THAT MAY VERY WELL BE USING DIFFERENT SETUP/CONFIGURATION CAUSING SERVICE ISSUES)

Things to keep in mind:

• Dedicated Server CPU and Memory
  • Dedicated on-board/local O/S drive
  • 2 x Gigabit NICs - one just for iSCSI, and one just for Internet
  • iSCSI SAN additional storage running RAID10, etc etc

Thanks!

Thanked by 1korobkov
Micro Servers w/ iSCSI SAN Data Storage
  1. Would you rent a "Micro Server" that has On-Board O/S drive, but iSCSI SAN data storage?37 votes
    1. Yes
      56.76%
    2. No
      32.43%
    3. Ummm.. I'm gonna post
      10.81%

Comments

• We need pricing more than anything else. How much per GB/storage and how much outbound bandwidth?

• Pricing is a big factor, then total storage. Local storage is going to be better for most uses, so if it's XXGB local + 100GB SAN when you could just do like single 500GB SATA at the same price, I don't see a point.

Depends on use case you're targeting, I can see some folks who would take a budget box with RAID-backed storage vs single drive. If I'm paying for dedicated resources I don't usually like SAN storage with i/o at the whim of other customers around me.

• The limit of 100MB/s on Gbit ruins any gain of a larger storage array speed wise - Should get more IOPS though.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

100MB/s is a big bottleneck with SSD drives, not really worth the dedicated cpu/memory then. I would rather have the second nic for private networking.

• That's exactly what I want. Would be interesting, especially if yearly prices would be rather low…

• BruceBruce Member

had some atoms from Delimiter for a year. iSCSCI sucks. for $5/m it was OK, but not great. dropped out a few times. direct connected disk is faster and more reliable

• could be OK for a micro server with a budget of sub $25 a month.

• ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited July 2015

Yeah, I decided to scrap the iSCSI storage idea and just go with direct-attached SSD's.

Less complicated, better performance