Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nginx Splash Screen?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nginx Splash Screen?

CasterCaster Member

i have seen some new websites poping up and using the splash screen that cloudflare does .

Well any idea how can i try it too ?

Comments

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2015

Splash screen? Do you mean like a page saying that the website doesn't exist on the server or something?

If that is the case, just add this to your config:

server {

listen 80;

location / {

root /path/to/not/found/page;

}

}

• I think he's asking about coming soon pages. If so you'll have to design one by your self.

• CasterCaster Member

no I mean like cloudflare shows the loading screen,"DDoS protection by cf" like that.

• you mean where it says "ddos protection by cf" and it takes a couple of seconds to try and verify if you're human?

I guess it's just a setting you enable in cloudflare.

• CasterCaster Member

you can do with cf too , I saw some websites piping out with this they use the nginx or something....

• do you just want a splashscreen that says "powered by nginx" for a second or two before the page loads? if so, please don't. as a user I want the content loaded immediately, I don't care if you use nginx or lighttpd or apache

Thanked by 3ATHK yomero FrankZ
  • CasterCaster Member

hm..... thanks will consider it

• hostnoob said: I don't care if you use nginx or lighttpd or apache

Yup. Why do you even wan't to show it ?

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited July 2015

CloudFlare and Incapsula show a "splash screen" to check your browser against known bots and to help prevent DDOS. If you just want to be a hip cool guy, I'd suggest you think otherwise.

This is not a trend, it's not something that's "in", and it's not something hipsters would implement. It's solely in place to mitigate threats and attacks.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @sdglhm said:
    Yup. Why do you even wan't to show it ?

The question is, who wouldn't want to show off they're using nginx? :)

Their logo is cool as fuck.

• HTMLHTML Member

It's simple open your cloudflare and enable under attack mode in secrutiy settings instead of medium or high setting and within a minute the splash screen will start showing up to all new users and i think it does store a browser cookie or something because it will only show for the first time to that user and it will show again only if he changes ip or browser or if he load the site in private window.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AltAlt Member

Crappy intro page in Flash were a trend in the 90's.
    Please, don't do anything like that, intro pages were awful.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Traffic said: Their logo is cool as fuck.

Ha Ha. True. It would be more awesome if they used a circuitry pattern on their logo. ;)

• What a way to piss off a user base and let people know an attack vector for your site. Yeah seems like a good idea to me you should definitely do this right now.