Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting Up IRC server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setting Up IRC server?

WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
edited November 2012 in Help

I'd like to install, a private, just-for-fun, installed-out-of-boredom IRC server.

Any recommendation? (e.g, easy to setup or customizable or lightweight)

what kind of stuff should I consider? (e.g, abuse, security, traffic ddos)

This IRC server won't be shared by anyone.. so no reliability-aspect should be considered
Basically I just want to learn how to set it up.

Comments

• The easiest IRCd I've used is InspIRCd. It's pretty customizable and simple to set up if you read the docs.

• I also needed this tutorial, maybe recomended services too?
    Atheme or anope?

• I'll take look at InspirIRCd, Wikipedia says it has the most complete feature set, nice.

• Insp or ShadowIRCD+Atheme is a very, very nice setup.

• InspIRCd needs a lot of config. Try unreal+atheme, got them set up about an hour (+compiling and stuff)

• ircd-ratbox same as used on EFNet.

• I found ngIRCd really easy to set up.

• Unreal working fine here

• InspIRCd or unreal. I've used both, currently using InspIRCd just because that's what I picked. Don't use outdated packages from the debian repos, compile the latest version yourself.

• PleXus, and I totally am not tooting our own horn because we develop it ;)

No, really :)

• @gubbyte said: The easiest IRCd I've used is InspIRCd. It's pretty customizable and simple to set up if you read the docs.

+1

• unrealircd FTW

• If you're new just download and install UnrealIRCd + Atheme, easy to setup, clean.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Unrealircd - good documentation available to set up Unreal. Just follow the steps on their website.

Anope for services like NickServ, ChanServ, Botserv, Operserv

• Bahamut is beefier and more secure out of the box than Unreal. A little harder to setup but not bad. Pair it with Anope for services and you have a great combo :)

• Highly recommend UnrealIRCD and Anope.

• < irc newbie alert >

• Can an irc server be setup to be private, with some form of auth ?
    • Is a web interface possible?

< /irc newbie alert>

• @sleddog said: Can an irc server be setup to be private, with some form of auth ?

You can set a required on-connect password.

@sleddog said: Is a web interface possible?

Mibbit or CGIIRC.