Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very lowend KVM/Xen with 2 IPv4? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Very lowend KVM/Xen with 2 IPv4?

2»

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

randvegeta said: Where did you see that advertisement of APNIC IPs out of region is strictly forbidden?

From LACNIC themself, i ask every time i sign up a new account for someone (last time in 04.2015), i asked all 5 RIRs (ticket #'s available on request):

RIPE: allowed without specific limit, revocation possible but rare

ARIN: not allowed and not counted towards quota, revocation possible and not rare

LACNIC: not allowed, revocation currently not in force

AFRINIC: percentage rule (10-20%)

APNIC: not allowed, revocation rare

Legacy space is obviously excluded at all RIRs.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

@William,

I spoke to APNIC this afternoon to check on this and they said there was no issue to use globally. There are no restrictions to use a portion of the assignment exclusively out of region provided the assignee is based and registered within their jurisdiction. There was not even a mention of having a majority of resources used within region, only that the there the assignee maintain a network within the region.

This is form APNIC themselves. I asked if there was supporting documentation for this as this is far more lenient then I had believed, but apparently there is no such documentation. But they instead offered a written confirmation to that effect on request.

It doesn't matter much either way. We are supposed to be any-casting which is 100% allowed by all RIR I am sure. But I was honestly surprised to hear that there were virtually no restrictions. Which really makes me wonder where the animosity is coming from.

• @william, @randvegeta.

Found this link for rir policy comparison:
    https://www.nro.net/rir-comparative-policy-overview/rir-comparative-policy-overview-2015-02

It says announcing IP outside apnic is allow for organizarion physically present in apnic region. What do you guys think is it legit? seems to be recent too.

Lovely

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

I contacted APNIC again today and was told again that announce outside the APNIC region is not allowed. I also have a new ticket on ARIN open and expect the same reply from them and will tommorow open a new one at RIPE which will tell me again the same.

@William,

Are you an APNIC member? Seems we are getting different information but I am inclined to believe what I heard from APNIC directly.

Unless we are notified otherwise, I'm going to assume you are misinformed and that we are free to use our IPs as we see fit.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

Yes, as HK company and as Austrian company with office inside the APNIC region.

Why do you imagine we are getting diff info?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

The space we own is PI/Direct Allocation and some Legacy - Yours is probably PA.

Well as I said before, if you feel like we are abusing our resource allocation, please do what you feel ia right.

• @William,@randvegeta

This is what I got from APNIC help desk today :) :

"Once you have been delegated the resources, APNIC permits organizations located within the APNIC region to use APNIC delegated resources out of region."

^This is enough for me to apply for resources from APNIC. As william mentioned this might have to do with different type of IP space probably.

• Mitchfizz05Mitchfizz05 Member
    edited July 2015

Well, this thread totally derailed. xD

An entire thread arguing over misuse of a /24.

Thanked by 2Traffic The_creator
  • TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

Mitchfizz05 said: An entire thread arguing over misusethe use of a /24.

Fixed that for you. :)

• Kinda interesting, after asking 3 times for more specific answer someone up gave me more info - Legacy can be used as you want (as everywhere), PI can be used inside region only as it is assigned for an ASN (or something along that line, i don't get exactly what he told me), PA can be used anywhere but not the full network (without further specification)

Then this all does not apply if your company is not inside the APNIC region but still member, which is apparently not even possible for new sign ups and only for legacy accounts - Then all space can only be used inside the region... that mess is even worse than RIPEs old rules..