Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MiniVPS price increase - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MiniVPS price increase

Comments

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@KuJoe said: That being said, it sucks that a 3rd party is forcing their hand to do this to their clients.

I'm not knocking MiniVPS, but you have to know going in the best place to resell from is probably not the cheapest place. Sometimes it works out, but sometimes you're playing with fire.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@JoeMerit said: yes, and you can connect to 1% of the internet with that option!

How do you figure that? If they do it correctly, then each VPS will have the same access they have now just without a dedicated IPv4 address. It wouldn't be much impact for say a VPN or IRC bouncer.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@KuJoe said: I'm just trying to offer a look at this from that of another provider in hopes to offer some perspective in this thread. :)

I definitely feel bad for both clients and provider, no doubt. It's a tough scenario to find yourself in, and hindsight doesn't pay the invoice.

@Nick_A said: I'm not knocking MiniVPS, but you have to know going in the best place to resell from is probably not the cheapest place. Sometimes it works out, but sometimes you're playing with fire.

I agree 100% and @MartinD even said this in his post. It seems they had a decent run though.

edited November 2012

@jarland said: I definitely feel bad for both clients and provider, no doubt. It's a tough scenario to find yourself in, and hindsight doesn't pay the invoice.

I would hate to be put in that position. I'm just glad we signed a contract that laid out the pricing and fees before we moved our equipment in. I don't even know what I would do in that situation.

• Wait - where did they say they wouldn't offer a pro-rated refund? It's just not mentioned. Open a ticket with them and ask!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2012

@jarland said: Everyone is fueled by selfish desires.

Be very very careful with sweeping statements like that. I strongly doubt you've done research into every single person on this globe, so there's no way you can say that everyone this or everyone that. "Almost everyone" would probably be a lot more accurate.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@KuJoe - which quoted part about "solution" this isn't clear:

• 1) Every EU plan has a price increase of £1 per month. This is us passing on the cost to the customer with no monetary gain.
    • 2) We give customers the option of dropping their IPv4 address and using only IPv6. This means no change in your current pricing.
    • 3) We move your VPS to our UK location. You would be moved on to one of our UK plans that best meets your current EU plan however your pricing would change to that of the new UK plan.
    • Customers on annual billing cycles will receive a pro-rata invoice for any IPv4 addresses in use.

So if I, vocal LEB user (as @Martin said about me) ask for refund disregarding the fact they don't consider it as part of their "solution" I may even get it, but that's not something they consider/offered as solution neither respond here to same suggestion from more than a few people.
    Do you really think that I care that much about this money? It's just... it would be right thing to offer pro-rated refund to those who can't pay extra and because of that can't use their prepaid vpss for the months they paid already. I understand that host isn't in good position but this would be right thing to offer. And that's why I posted it.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Kujoe
    Minivps has a yearly deal at £10 / year

With this £1/month for the ipv4 would make it 22/year.

So its actually more then 100% :)

edited November 2012

@joepie91 said: Be very very careful with sweeping statements like that. I strongly doubt you've done research into every single person on this globe, so there's no way you can say that everyone this or everyone that. "Almost everyone" would probably be a lot more accurate.

Nope. I'd bet on it. It may be because you like having someone around because of how they make you feel, to please a supernatural deity to receive blessing, to receive praise, to effect change that you desire to see, because you can't stand living without them, there is no motivation that cannot be traced back to a selfish desire and I'd take on that challenge any day ;)

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited November 2012

Math Time!

Lets say they had 20 clients on a yearly plan.

Assumptions:
    20 Clients
    12 Months (assuming you just got that server)
    1 euro per IP
    License Fees (WHMCS, SolusVM, etc.) are ignored
    Tax is ignored

Calculation:
    IP Costs:
    20x12x1 = 240 Euros

Now, I don't know what plans they sell, but assuming (following the cheap trends) 24 euros for a year of VPS services (256mb lets say).

Income: 20x24 = 480 euros

Now lets look at how much money they have to pay the bills with!

480 - 240 = 240 euros

That's 240 euros for 1 years to run a server...

That's about 20 euros per month (totally ignoring taxes) to pay for colocation/rent.

More than likely, colocation/rent costs more, therefore no matter what they'll be in the negatives.

There is no profit, only deficit.

Personally for me, I would NEVER choose OVH/Kimsufi as a upstream provider, but besides for their poor choice in provider I'd say I feel for them. If you're on a yearly plan then just ask for a refund (for the amount of time unused yet). People work hard to make sure they provide the best services, but they also have to eat.

edited November 2012

@jarland said: Nope. I'd bet on it. It may be because you like having someone around because of how they make you feel, to please a supernatural deity to receive blessing, to receive praise, to effect change that you desire to see, because you can't stand living without them, there is no motivation that cannot be traced back to a selfish desire and I'd take on that challenge any day ;)

I don't think you actually tried to understand what I say. I was not challenging your claim, I was challenging your ability to make that claim. Which you do not have.

• @MartindD I might be one of the less welcomed person in LET and you might not want to listen to me , but from a person who deals with public facing job, I would suggest a pro-rated refund to those who don't want to stay and move on.

As a business you can not make everyone happy and at the end of the day, it is your business. Clients who don't appreciate , will never appreciate.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

I got confirmation, Xavvo Ltd is registered company and

It is against consumer law to force you to pay more for a prepaid service. Unless you signed their ToS where they state that they can increase costs incurred by third parties you can insist on a) sticking to contract, or b) refund for unused service period. Everything else is against the law.

And no, it's not about those few pounds, it's just annoy me that they never offered pro-rated refund for non used months forcing me to pay something what's paid already. Now I am going back to enjoy with my other VPSs :)

edited November 2012

@joepie91 said: I don't think you actually tried to understand what I say. I was not challenging your claim, I was challenging your ability to make that claim. Which you do not have.

No one says this to an atheist who says God is not real, which is something that they cannot know. Likewise, I cannot know what everyone thinks at every moment, but logic allows me to make claims that fit every conceivable scenario and a lack of any logical rebuttal gives me enough certainty to make the claim, and others are free to disagree. If I don't provoke others to disagree, I'll probably never have the opportunity to be proven wrong even if its right in front of me. I'd like to provoke that thought in people, perhaps even upset them, to disprove that theory. It would change my life to admit I was wrong on that.

Just different approaches.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited November 2012

First off, I can't say I am very happy with the increase either, but... I was doing some of the math... What bugs me is in the end, it would actually end up costing them less to cover the cost of the ip increase for their yearly customers than to try and do a pro-rated refund. Think of it this way, either you can pay the extra amount or you can spend the money and time (which likely will end up costing more than just waving the extra fee) to employ someone to answer all the tickets, complaints, and then when you start talking refund, that is just taking money directly out of their pockets after the fact. If they used all the yearly fees to pay for the server already, by refunding any of the yearly customers, you would end up at a loss, possibly greater than the 1 pound a month.

Now, the services have been decent, I will give them that. (Though admittedly because its yearly, when I do have issues (DDOS, random server restarts, etc) I have tended to just wait them out instead of submitting tickets) I figure, they are likely not making much on it. I have never seen it as a production server, and putting in tickets just makes them lose money by spending time on my issues and seems un-needed. (Thus my point about it likely costing them more to run their support desk in this situation than it would cost just to waive the ip fee for the existing yearly customers)

All that said, I am quite torn about weather I want to continue business with them. When the invoice comes, and I do not pay it, will you suspend my account? Like some, I do not feel obligated to pay you this extra money, and would likely take closing the account over spending even my own time worrying about it. To me, this account was a toy, something to play with.. if you guys decided to put your production stuff on it... that was your first mistake. Yes, ipv6 is an option that may be acceptable to me in the end if it has to be that way, because it is non-production server. However, that is not how the product was marketed to begin with, and I would consider it a degradation of services.

@Spirit you need to stop getting butthurt over every little thing that happens and either work in ticket with the provider to resolve your issues, or cancel the account(s). Insistent whining is not how you get your way, like when you were 5, it really just makes you seem immature and childish.

TL; DR:
    @MartinD , I would just consider eating the extra 1 pound a month for your yearly customers, if you do not, in the end it will likely cost you more in customer support, refunds, disputes, loss of face for your company and loss of customers in general. As for people with monthly services, I see no issue with your plan, as they renew with you monthly and can decide weather or not they wish to continue.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited November 2012

@TheLinuxBug said: Insistent whining is not how you get your way, like when you were 5, it really just makes you seem immature and childish.

He doesn't seem to want anything other than to let the community know what has happened. These types of threads aren't uncommon around here, where customers paste communications from their providers and ask the community for input/discussion.

• @Spirit said: It is against consumer law to force you to pay more for a prepaid service. Unless you signed their ToS where they state that they can increase costs incurred by third parties you can insist on a) sticking to contract, or b) refund for unused service period. Everything else is against the law.

Can you cite that law?

• I think he did that in the first post of the thread, were the additional 12 posts needed? None of them were productive.

@jarland said: No one says this to an atheist who says God is not real, which is something that they cannot know.

Actually, I do.

@jarland said: but logic allows me to make claims that fit every conceivable scenario

If you have plausible source data, yes. You don't.

edited November 2012

@joepie91 Your mother.

Oh and "don't tell me what to do."

@MikHo said: Minivps has a yearly deal at £10 / year

The problem I see is if they eat the costs then they are losing £2/year just for the IP cost, add payment fees and colocation costs and MiniVPS won't be around for very long with no income being generated.

• @KuJoe said: The problem I see is if they eat the costs then they are losing £2/year just for the IP cost, add payment fees and colocation costs and MiniVPS won't be around for very long with no income being generated.

If that's the cheapest then yeah, the math I put up there is an overstatement.

They're loosing MORE MONEY than they're generating just from that promotion.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@TheLinuxBug someone said something to you, you respond back - what's productive/unproductive here anyway? Unless you have double standards and look, you just responded (and you will most likely again) unproductive to someone - and some third may appear to mark this as "whining" to feel like a winner, but so what? Should I, you or anyone silence because some other feels so? And yes, you're right - I also think that I said all what I had to say already that's why I finished my previous post with "Now I am going back to enjoy with my other VPSs".
    Have a good night, or day or.. whatever.

• @jarland said: theist who says God is not real, which is something that they cannot know.

That very much depends on the perspective one is coming from. When arguing in a scientific context one can very much say "god isn't real" in the same way as saying "harry potter isn't real". But considering that this is religion it isn't meant to be approached scientifically, there is a reason it's called faith.

But i really think this discussion should be moved to the Cest Pit, this thread is meant for MiniVPS and not discussing about god.

@gsrdgrdghd said: But i really think this discussion should be moved to the Cest Pit, this thread is meant for MiniVPS and not discussing about god.

I have a tendency to fall for the bait way too often ;)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I understand that and I do feel for minivps, the few times i've been in contact with them they do sound like sane people :)

The thing (which is not caused by minivps) that gets to me as a customer is the amount. If all providers that I have one or more services with woul double their price I would be in trouble.

• I'm a £1.50/mo customer on a 15GB / 128MB / 500GB EU plan that you can't buy any more, I've been happy enough with them.

Though I have other LEBs, I've stuck with my minivps since it's so damn fast, transfer wise.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited November 2012

OVH is preparing for the price increase earlier then most providers. But melbourne will be charging for IP Addresses soon enough as rob told me.

So once that happens, you will have a dilema, aswell as every other provider without v4 space eventually.

(Yes people, I understand that the "new", and "great" v6 is out.. but ISPs are not rushing, and not every person knows how to setup v6 over v4 in their homes.)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@gsrdgrdghd said: When arguing in a scientific context one can very much say "god isn't real"

No no no, but that's a long argument meant for another thread.