Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[US]Server for sale.. maybe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[US]Server for sale.. maybe

MartinDMartinD Member
edited November 2012 in Offers

Would anyone be interested in a server I have surplus in the states?

1U Asus Chassis
Xeon 3470
16GB Ram
2 x 1TB Drives

Looking for $350-$400 or so.

It was removed from the DC recently, about 10 months old.

Not in any rush to sell, it just happens to be sitting doing nothing at the moment!

Comments

• AsadAsad Member
    edited November 2012

@MartinD How about coloing it from you?

• @MartinD said: 1U Asus Chassis

Which 1U Asus Chassis, out of curiosity?
    I woild be interested if it was in the EU, but shipping big and heavy servers from USA... no.

• Ordinarily I'd say yes but I don't carry any spares for that machine so wouldn't want to take that risk unfortunately.

• @rds100 said: Which 1U Asus Chassis, out of curiosity?

I woild be interested if it was in the EU, but shipping big and heavy servers from USA... no.

It's the RS100. E6/PI2

• @MartinD Would you do it anyway?

• @AsadHaider - nope. It wouldn't be fair on you if something goes wrong.. and it wouldn't be fair on us to carry the spares for a single server.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@MartinD Where in the U.S. is it

• Did you build this yourself too?

• JacobJacob Member
    edited November 2012

If @AsadHaider buys it from you, and ships the datacenter spare parts for the server.. then I don't see the problem?

@MartinD said: nope. It wouldn't be fair on you if something goes wrong.. and it wouldn't be fair on us to carry the spares for a single server.

• @Jacob said: If @AsadHaider buys it from you, and ships the datacenter spare parts for the server.. then I don't see the problem?

He is more than welcome to buy it from us however we don't offer colo and wouldn't colo a machine that we don't hold spare parts for, even if the customer has their own. We don't have storage for anything other than our own kit. It's a moot point anyway as we don't provide colo services.

• @Fliphost said: @MartinD Where in the U.S. is it

Currently in Iowa, not in a DC.

@Brandon said: Did you build this yourself too?

Nope - it was bought pre-built.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@MartinD

Whats the power draw

• @Fliphost said: Whats the power draw

Just under 1 Amp.

• @MartinD I was actually thinking of an informal colo agreement and just using it as a dev server, nothing important on it - so I wouldn't care about hardware failure.

Nevermind :P

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited November 2012

@AsadHaider we could colo it for you in Dallas ;) $40/mo 1TB BW 1 IPV4

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@Corey That's actually quite interesting, if you could work out getting it to your dc, I would be interested in doing that.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited November 2012

@RobertJFClarke said: @Corey That's actually quite interesting, if you could work out getting it to your dc, I would be interested in doing that.

Shipping to our rack would cost $40 in itself. We'd do this to fill up some extra rack space for increased margins. Shipping would be up to you, we still have to pay the DC techs to rack it.

• I'm interested in it, only if you're able to ship to Canada.

edited November 2012

@Corey That might be worth it, what are the specific specs?

Edit: on the colo.

• @RobertJFClarke said: @Corey That might be worth it, what are the specific specs?

Edit: on the colo.

1amp, 1tb bw, 1 ipv4.

@Corey Network speed?

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited November 2012

@RobertJFClarke said: @Corey Network speed?

100mbit, additional ipv4 would be $1 each... additional BW would be $25/tb.

@Corey Wow, that's expensive bandwidth..

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited November 2012

@RobertJFClarke said: @Corey Wow, that's expensive bandwidth..

You are getting in to colo here - this is not a vps. The cheapest providers that we have charge $25/tb that offer bw in the Tb's so that's the price I set. That would equal $8.30 per mbit of xfer. I can lower the price a little, what are you comfortable with? Our provider in dallas charges $5/mbit.

Actually - what specs do you want? Then I can accurately quote you.

• that's expensive bandwidth..

I'll have some of whatever you're smoking.

• @Microlinux said: I'll have some of whatever you're smoking.

People are used to paying $5/mo for a vps here with 1TB of BW not realizing colo customers are more likely to use the BW than a vps customer so there is less overselling involved :)

• @Corey cough $5/tb OVH

• @eastonch said: @Corey cough $5/tb OVH

OVH is a datacenter that is not located in dallas texas that doesn't offer 1u colo. I am a provider within another datacenter in dallas texas offering 1u colo for cheaper than you can get it anywhere in the US just to reduce expenses a little. There will be no profit made from this colo, especially when our rack fills out.

• @Corey

Cheaper than any other provider in the US?
    Do you mean cheaper than any other provider in dallas?

Datashack offers 10TB bw, 5 IPv4, single mount up to 4U all for $45. Sure its $5 more, but u get 3U more of rackspace and x10 the bandwidth.
    So im not quite sure you would be the cheapest in the USA..
    not even taking in the possibility of many other providers.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited November 2012

@Cirium said: @Corey

Cheaper than any other provider in the US?

Do you mean cheaper than any other provider in dallas?

Datashack offers 10TB bw, 5 IPv4, single mount up to 4U all for $45. Sure its $5 more, but u get 3U more of rackspace and x10 the bandwidth.

So im not quite sure you would be the cheapest in the USA..
    not even taking in the possibility of many other providers.

1u colo friend....it's still cheaper.. but sure let's take it down to dallas.