Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who would be interested..? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who would be interested..?

2»

Comments

• @NickO said: How do these plans sound?

Yes please.

@NickO said: Real question is: Xen or OpenVZ?

Xen.

• Sounds good, I'll see what I can do in the next few weeks :) Hopefully have some pre-orders in by 1st December once I've got the servers on hand.

• Too much OVZ, go Xen.

As far as the observation about Seattle, most companies go with LA/SJC rather than Seattle.

• Everyone seems to want Xen and I can definitely see why.

That 512MB plan may have to lose some Disk Space but there will be bigger "non-let" plans available of course. I'll let everyone know when we're ready for orders :)

• My thoughts about the 2 plans is that you can never know. Most of the people seem to want more RAM than HD space. But we have also asked several customized plans for some clients. They also seem to tell you the price they want it.
    Also we have noticed that ppl want the cheapest at first, no matter if you tell them that it will not be enough and that there will be problems.
    So, from my experience till now is that Plan 1 should sell more and it will bring more clients to you.

• NickONickO Member
    edited December 2012

So the server should be coming next week. Here's the deals that I'm be opening up for LET. These will most likely be running OpenVZ virtualization.

These ones will be located in Los Angeles with more locations in Q1 of 2013.

512MB RAM
    15GB Disk Space
    400GB Bandwidth
    Price: $3.50/month

1024MB RAM
    30GB Disk
    1TB Bandwidth
    Price: $6.50/month

I'll probably run this for a week and then the 1024MB deal won't be LET-able ;)

Anything different than that, that you guys would recommend?

• Wouldn't be such a bad idea. good luck.

• What location in LA?

• Maybe do a yearly deal?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

OpenVZ is cool for most ppl that want the cheapest thing that does the job.
    Uncle doesnt like OVZ he sells mostly VMWare and rhev6 to his corporate customers, however the atempt to sell here VMWare at start fell flat.
    Everyone says they want Xen and VMWare, yet, when OVZ costs half or less, they choose OVZ.
    We are almost sold-out on OVZ, but have Xen and KVM available, even tho, OVZ accounts for much more than half of our VPSes and we had problems with the nodes (node22/24 were big OVZ nodes that had about 10 reboots in total in 6 months while none of the others had even the slightest issue).
    Going with OVZ or other better regarded technology at start is a strategic decision.
    1. OVZ->easy to oversell, quite fast, but attracts the most abusers (except windows, of course), not only on resources, but also on the legal side, DDoSers, spammers, torrenters, which want it cheap so they dont lose much when suspended.
    2. KVM->hard to oversell, not that fast (a lot of overhead there), offers a lot of options for the few ppl that have special needs, but the high price keeps ppl from investing in a "start-up" while also keeping large number of abusers out.
    3. Xen is kinda middle way (Xen-PV, that is, Xen-HVM is more or less on par with KVM)

Since I am in no hurry, my personal decision would be to go withXen-PV or even KVM and grow slowly, if I would want to expand quickly and had no fear of abuse at start, I would go OVZ, but it is just me.

• @Damian said: What location in LA?

Central.

@Maounique - I could do Xen, it's pretty 50/50 at the moment as these OVZ won't be oversold. Most likely whichever virt I choose the second node will run the opposite.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If OVZ wont be oversold, dont do it, ppl will think it is anyway so no gain at all.

• @muj said: Maybe do a yearly deal?

Like 128MB? I could do them for around $15/year. 256MB for around $20.

• TazTaz Member
    edited December 2012

Isn't this like your 5th host project in 2< year?

• NickONickO Member
    edited December 2012

@Taz said: Isn't this like your 5 host project in 2< year?

I've run one Shared Host a year back but that's it. Wrong Nick?
    I've done some work for a couple of companies that show around WHT and LET if you're mixing that up.

• Can't link searches so I can't see that. I'm "SurrealScripts" on WHT, not all advertising I've done has been my own company and there was a name change with the old one I ran.

• @NickO said: Central.

Haven't heard of a datacenter called "Central.", is it new?

• TazTaz Member
    edited December 2012

Every host advertised/sold/abandoned by you on wht, were only managed and advertised by you and none of them were ever seen on wht after getting sold

• @Damian said: Haven't heard of a datacenter called "Central.", is it new?

Ah, you asked for location. It's in WebNX's DC.

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited December 2012

Nice.

I never really liked WebNX though. :/

• @Taz said: Every host advertised/sold/abandoned by you on wht, were only managed and advertised by you and none of them were ever seen on wht after getting sold

I ran a service for a little bit (it seems like you've done your research so you should already know ;) ). I only did it for a couple of people and generally after they started going solo because they didn't have the money they would fall through. Any more questions or comments?

• @SimpleNode said: Nice.

I never really liked WebNX though. :/

Thanks. I've never used them myself but have heard good from them.

• They're fine, I've got two huge machines in there. Works as intended without any blips.