Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setup a DNS server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setup a DNS server

thharristhharris Member
edited November 2012 in General

I'm looking to setup a dns server with bind9 but no matter what i can do I cant seem to get it to work. Im using 32burst/32meg $6/yr server. I wanted to create my own fake domain but before doing that I can't seem to get them to do any forward lookups. Are there any tuts for a low end dns server?

Thanks for helping a noob out

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

fake domain? why not a REAL domain?

and where did you get the $6/y server? IPX?

• Does DNS work on 32mb? I'm not too sure.

Possibly try using it with VPN?

• yea its from ipx.

Well I was planning to use it just as a caching dns server, and possibly setup my own tld. But I can't seem to get them to resolve any names.

• @thharris said: and possibly setup my own tld

Uh, what?

• @thharris said: Well I was planning to use it just as a caching dns server, and possibly setup my own tld. But I can't seem to get them to resolve any names.

What exactly are you doing? Which commands are you running?

@Kairus said: @thharris said: and possibly setup my own tld

Uh, what?

If you have an own DNS server you can set up any domain you want, including your own TLD., as long as you keep setting that DNS server as the first one to query on your OS.

• I have been tring to use bind, is there any tutorials on getting just a resolver setup. I cant seem to find any good ones on google?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited November 2012

Ok only thing you need to do is this: Set the TDL and domain name on your own server and then have your main computer (the computer you want affected) to contact your server's nameserver FIRST before contacting the other nameservers. If its not with your server's DNS entries then it'll contact the other ones. (I'm pretty sure this is how it is... I think)

Or what I'd do, is just use a VPN (OpenVPN is my preference) and have it manually set via OpenVPN settings to contact localhost first for the internal TDL/Domain Extensions before contacting google (set in Server OpenVPN settings).

• Yea thats what im trying to do but right now when i install bind its not resolving anything, when change my dns servers on my main computer to point to them.

• How are you managing your DNS entries. I'd assume that'd take care of it...

• Well just creating zone files but first i was just trying to get the resolver working

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited November 2012

@thharris said: I cant seem to find any good ones on google?

Honestly, I googled everything right after you asked about it, and so far from what I can say (by the way there are tons of resources out there to help you out) I'd start out by making sure the Zone files are working.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10982
    http://www.aboutdebian.com/dns.htm
    http://www.techrepublic.com/article/setting-up-a-dns-server-under-linux-part-1-the-configuration/1052952

Google: http://bit.ly/YNZKn7

From what I can say, if you have bind setup correctly, only thing you need is for your computer to use it.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

32MB isn't really enough, I've managed to run DNS on a 256mb server, but not much smaller than that.

• @RobertJFClarke said: 32MB isn't really enough, I've managed to run DNS on a 256mb server, but not much smaller than that.

32MB should be plenty. I'm running a DNS server on a 48MB VMWare instance with FreeBSD and it has plenty of headroom. I've not bothered with any optimisation as it's fine as-is, but I could get it down to a 32MB VM if needed.

• NSD ftw

• @thharris said: I have been tring to use bind, is there any tutorials on getting just a resolver setup. I cant seem to find any good ones on google?

What commands are you running that makes you think it isn't resolving? Can you ping google.com? Or doesn't the lookup work for your own domains? I don't get your problem and we can't help without more information.

• BIND isn't exactly known for being low memory-friendly. Try NSD instead.
    OP problem seems to be related to mis-configuration instead of his/her system running out memory, but even it really works depending on the number of DNS quesry I highly doubt OP setup will work as expected.

@tharris have you inspected the log files for any error?

Perhaps your config/setup in more details will help us pinpoint the problem.

• We have PowerDNS on CentOS 6 VPS and using 47MB so far.

• +1 for PowerDNS. Has a lower knowledge barrier to entry compared to BIND.

• I'm actually running a primary DNS (bind) server on 128MB just fine.

• Go nsd...

[root@eu:~] free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:            58         55          2          0         11         29
    -/+ buffers/cache:         14         43
    Swap:           63          0         63
    [root@eu:~] pstree
    init-+-cron
         |-dropbear---dropbear---bash---pstree
         |-exim4
         |-2*[getty]
         |-nginx---nginx
         |-nsd---2*[nsd]
         |-ntpd
         |-php5-fpm
         |-syslogd
         `-udevd---2*[udevd]

That's what's running demo.nsdmin.com -- http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/5409/

• @sleddog - that's pretty sick.. good job

• @qhoster said: We have PowerDNS on CentOS 6 VPS and using 47MB so far.

Another +1 to PowerDNS. Easy to use and works well.

• Thanks guys I ended up getting it working, I just was being a nood and didn't include a allow-query for all. Seems to be working ok now.