Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM Disk "Survey" - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM Disk "Survey"

2»

Comments

• @RobertJFClarke IMHO, 15GB SSD per 1GB of RAM is a little small.

• Option 2.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2012

@SimpleNode That's really not bad for SSD storage, I'd happily take an SSD VPS with 15GB of SSD space/gig of ram.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@RobertJFClarke said: @SimpleNode That's really not bad for SSD storage, I would I'd happily take an SSD VPS with 15GB of SSD space/gig of ram.

From Incero? :) (inside comment, not knocking simplenode)

@Nick_A Never, Ramnode for life <3

• I don't get it. I know Robert has had "issues" with Incero in the past, but I don't think this is related. Or is it?

@SimpleNode Sorta, long story short, I won't being using his services for a while. And that's a personal choice.

• Added new option.

If I could do 15GB of pure SSD space, I wouldn't even consider 20GB 15K HDDs.

• 5. I like storage.

If folks need fast disk IO themselves, then shouldn't be on a VPS with unknown other customers. None of these offers are slouches though.

@SimpleNode said: I don't get it. I know Robert has had "issues" with Incero in the past, but I don't think this is related. Or is it?

yeah I was poking at him for his Incero grievances but it's mostly off topic. I'll step out now.

• @SimpleNode said: 15GB RAID10 Pure SSD Space

That, only because I don't use much storage, so I'd rather have SSD instead of more HDD.

• After negotiation with Incero, and discussion with the wise @Nick_A, we've decided to settle on a 8x500GB RE4 Hardware RAID10 with BBU Array.

This should offer comparable performance to the 4x Velociraptor array offered in option 4.

We plan to offer pure SSD or SSD Caching once we can either figure out an advanced configuration with Incero, or colo our own hardware. If we do SSD based configs, we plan to do it right :)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Option 2.

• @SimpleNode said: decided to settle on a 8x500GB RE4 Hardware RAID10 with BBU Array.

Just say no to WesternDigital, SATA II old tech high failure rates. I have been using Toshiba 1tb 7.2k SAS2 drives, but Seagate Constellation is a very nice option too in SATA III or SAS2 both 7.2k, unless you are getting an antique raid card as well. Also, you could add 2 SSD and shove them in over the drives on the top row or velcro to the inside wall of the case, be creative! If using a modern LSI card, CacheCade is very nice for KVM.

@miTgiB said: Also, you could add 2 SSD and shove them in over the drives on the top row or velcro to the inside wall of the case, be creative!

Ha, I showed him a pic of your creative setup, but you have to keep in mind that he's bound by Incero's plans. No creativity if you're renting.

• @miTgiB said: Just say no to WesternDigital, SATA II old tech high failure rates.

They've added a SATAIII option a while back already - up to 4TB.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited December 2012

Also not a fan of Incero, CoreXchange = great. Gordon = ....well nothing good can be said about him really

On topic: Would probably go with 2nd option which gives best of both worlds

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Patrick Gordon is a grumpy...well....put something here. He's got no heart apart from the network is goid

• @Nick_A said: Ha, I showed him a pic of your creative setup

I think many will want to see it, too. I know I do.

• Disk IO is the most important criterium for me, so 1) 15GB RAID10 Pure SSD Space

No RAID on 2) and 3) ?

• fanfan Veteran

1 or 2.

• I'd go 4

• @MannDude said: Option 6.

Same. :>

• LeeLee Veteran

I can't pick, because I would use each differently.

• ahhhh. @Patrick resurrected this dead discussion.

Anyways, we've gone with 50GB RAID10 7.2K RPM Drives, except we're using 8 drives w/BBU on a 32GB setup.

• @SimpleNode said: 50GB SSD Cached 7.2K RPM Drives

@SimpleNode said: 50GB RAID10 10K RPM Drives