Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for Bulk Newsletter and Transactional Emails
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for Bulk Newsletter and Transactional Emails

Hello, I am getting a contract from an Ecommerce company which has a huge subscriber base of over 9,00,000 subscribers/customers. I need to send them a tleast two emails evey day plus emails for new customers/transactions etc.
I plan on using iRedmail as an email server with a custom email marketing solution.
Please let me know what can be done and with what specs of a VPS and post offers too.

Comments

• Good luck with that

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2015

The only person that I know, that may be ready to do it, is @cociu with Romania.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I'd recommend using a mandrill type service instead

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Use mandrill, a VPS will not work for you.

• Consulted with guys at mandrill, they gave me a an insane budget.
    The currently used solution is Amazon SES with some custom app. Maybe its not working out with them due to some issues.

Well to be fair 540,000,000 emails p/month is fairly insane too, certainly not fit for a budget VPS, you really do need a custom solution.

That sort of volume costs money, most people would have a number of dedicated servers with dedicated bandwidth and their own IP range, no offence but I hope you did not take on the contract assuming you could just spread it over a few LEB/T VPS's as thats around 208 emails p/seconds 24x7 and I assume they will have set times for the emails to arrive in users inboxes so that is probably going to be more like 1250 emails p/second.

I would say the $6000 p/month (ish) based on mandrills prices is not unfair, obviously you can reduce that with your own infrastructure but its still not going to be $20 p/month no matter what you try.

• Its close to $2000/month with Amazon SES as the company told me. I was obviously looking to get it as low as possible. The more I can save, the more I can make.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

It can be done with CC blacklisted IPs. :)

• BruceBruce Member

@gurugrv said:
    Ecommerce company which has a huge subscriber base of over 9,00,000 subscribers/customers.

presumably if this wasn't a spamming outfit you would have specifically stated that already

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Like Anthony says...

• Mandrill for easy solution
    • Build your own infra with many Dedi, own IP allocation from ARIN, and do it yourself.

You can't fit this in a low-mid cost budget. And if you send that amount of email, you should get money back no?

edited July 2015

gurugrv said: Its close to $2000/month with Amazon SES as the company told me. I was obviously looking to get it as low as possible. The more I can save, the more I can make.

That's a complete bargain then for a mandrill managed solution that will pretty much make sure every email lands in the right place, they have given you a heavy discount.

I could set you up a solution for about half of that with your own IPs and a cluster of servers on dedicated bandwidth but I suspect you would rather manage the solution yourself?

• can be much cheaper to hire the right person?
    For example some russians with experience, or ukranians. Their services are cheap and quality. 1k$+ for work. + 200-300$ for servers & ip per month...

• You have over 9 millions of subscribers and worry about $2000/month cost, something is wrong with your e-commerce company...

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @DalComp said:
    You have over 9 millions of subscribers and worry about $2000/month cost, something is wrong with your e-commerce company...

Always remember that location plays a role. A mere $2 coffee for someone might be a daily wage for some. The world has different standards geographically.

• @desperand said:
    can be much cheaper to hire the right person?
    For example some russians with experience, or ukranians. Their services are cheap and quality. 1k$+ for work. + 200-300$ for servers & ip per month...

I think that if more people are involved, there would be more hassles.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I could set you up a solution for about half of that with your own IPs and a cluster of servers on dedicated bandwidth but I suspect you would rather manage the solution yourself?

I guess Amazon SES is better as there does not seem to be a more viable solution available with much trouble. Thank you for all the help.

• @gurugrv 9M or 900K?

• @pbalazs123 said:
    gurugrv 9M or 900K?

• samblingsambling Member
    edited July 2015

The main issue with a self-managed solution is deliverability. I explored providing an SMTP service but decided against it, at least for now. With mailing, you need to "warm up" your IPs. You can't simply start bulk emailing your subscribers. This could take a while OR you'd be needing to send from a bunch of IPs (which, with "mailing" as a justification, you are unlikely to be provided with).

With 900,000 subscribers, $2000 for Amazon SES seems like a complete bargain. Isn't the rule of thumb in email marketing $1 per subscriber per email? Perhaps if the company you are contracted to isn't getting that from it's subscribers, it needs to prune it's subscriber list (not every customer is going to want to be sent 2 emails per day).

• rackrack Member

Hosting such activity leads to problems with SPAMHAUS, so please, have some mercy for reliable hosting companies, please. Or use chinese hosts.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

why not to use service like mandrill.com?

• @WebProject said:
    why not to use service like mandrill.com?

topic start want make economy. Mandrill give to hime as i understand awesome discount ~6k$ for this amount of emails (when it usually costs 54k$), but the guy with so big databace looking for maximum economy.

• Budget? 20$? lol

Do you have the required contacts to get IPs whitelisted at Hotmail, QQ and Google? If not forget it outright with that amount of mails per month - You'll need a few months easily to just warm them up and every abuse complaint will lower your chance of whitelisting.

Also keep in mind you'll need enourmous power to send 1000mails/sec, that will choke even on a dual quadcore...

If you'll guarantee that it is not spam AND prepay 3 months BY BANK TRANSFER (later CC/PayPal is fine) i'll sell you a nice dual quadcore with a clean /23 IP range for a good price

• Cool story.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

desperand said: topic start want make economy. Mandrill give to hime as i understand awesome discount ~6k$ for this amount of emails (when it usually costs 54k$), but the guy with so big databace looking for maximum economy.

I don't think that he will get service for $7 per month and be allowed to abuse the resources/service as 9m of subscribers is big number of subscribers.

• cociucociu Member
    edited July 2015

@gurugrv from my part the price will be 500 euro/mo and you can send 72 000 000 emails/mo and need guarntee deposit too

• gurugrv said: an Ecommerce company which has a huge subscriber base of over 9,00,000 subscribers/customers

Do they have documented proof that each subscriber double-opted-in?

If yes, awesome. If no, it's spam. No offense intended.

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

@gurugrv,

per my experiences, we can do that for you. you'll need to install interspire or other bulk mailing tools on your behalf. but please note that some providers might rate limit your sending traffic (port 25), so that's why you need to check your PM to seek our 'trick' and undocumented techniques on how you'll bypass them.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

winnervps said: so that's why you need to check your PM to seek our 'trick' and undocumented techniques on how you'll bypass them.

So you as VPS provider provide infos how to circumvent ToS restrictions? Very credible, now i know where to never buy anything, thanks.

• William said: So you as VPS provider provide infos how to circumvent ToS restrictions? Very credible, now i know where to never buy anything, thanks.

Noted also.