Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which is good Raid 10 or Raid1 with Hardware Card?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which is good Raid 10 or Raid1 with Hardware Card?

azizbdazizbd Member
edited November 2012 in General

Hello,
Which is good for dedicated server RAID-10 or RAID-1 with Hardware Raid card regarding disk IO performance and data recovery?
Thanks in advance,
Raihan

Comments

• Is this software raid 10 vs hardware raid 1?

• @ShardHost said: Is this software raid 10 vs hardware raid 1?

Think this is what the OP is trying to compare.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

raid 10 is better than raid 1 at any time. It has both redundancy and space/speed.
    They cannot be compared, raid 10 includes raid 1. Is like asking what is better, a kitchen or an apartment with a kitchen.
    M

• @ShardHost said: Is this software raid 10 vs hardware raid 1?

yes, software raid vs HW raid1. I m confused to choose.

• I would recommend software Raid 10. We have never had any issues with software Raid 10. As Maounique has said, you will see a speed improvement of reads/writes.

With software raid 10, your /boot partition will need to be on a raid1 array.

I assume this is for Linux?

edited November 2012

for raid 1 you dont need hw controller. RAID 10 will benefit from that.

• @ShardHost said: I would recommend software Raid 10. We have never had any issues with software Raid 10. As Maounique has said, you will see a speed improvement of reads/writes.

Thanks

• The only time we'd ever consider HW raid anymore is where parity is involved.

• @ShardHost said: The only time we'd ever consider HW raid anymore is where parity is involved.

We only use HW RAID with a large cache (with BBU that is). Boosts performance quite a bit, especially for hosting.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited November 2012

@ShardHost said: The only time we'd ever consider HW raid anymore is where parity is involved.

1 word - cache

Another good thing about hardware raid - it isn't up to your nodes processing power to determine where writes are going with raid0 (stripe of mirrors ). The raid card will handle all of this for you with processors specifically built to do this. If you don't realize the advantage of hardware vs software raid on a raid 10 array when you are hosting VPS that sometimes require tons of processing power from your node processor.........

Also - have you ever had to replace a disk in a software raid10 array? Doesn't sound like it..... Rebuilding that mirror..... :O

• @Corey said: 1 word - cache

Another good thing about hardware raid - it isn't up to your nodes processing power to determine where writes are going with raid0 (stripe of mirrors ). The raid card will handle all of this for you with processors specifically built to do this. If you don't realize the advantage of hardware vs software raid on a raid 10 array when you are hosting VPS that sometimes require tons of processing power from your node processor.........

Hello Corey,

Thanks for the advice. We understand the advantages that HW raid brings, but we also understand and have experienced the disadvantages also. The CPU overhead is minimal in HW Raid 10 on modern hardware. Its only when you are dealing with parity that this CPU overhead becomes more of a concern.

• We have nodes with both Hardware and Software RAID10, and we are getting far better ioping results on the hardware RAID nodes. (avg 0.2ms vs. avg 10ms)

@SimpleNode said: far better ioping results

Cache rulz...

• cupidcupid Member, Host Rep

raid 10 are 2 set of raid 1 together for better performance, so sure raid 10 are much better then raid 1.

• Hardware Raid-10 with LSI 512MB cache. Great performance. Adaptec's are not bad too but really hot.

• @cupid said: aid 10 are 2 set of raid 1 together for better performance, so sure raid 10 are much better then raid 1.

what.......

• @Corey said: what.......

RAID11 LOL

• I'm waiting for the LSI 9271-4i for my next node. 1GB DD3 cache, PCI Express 3.0 etc. Amazing stuff :)

And to answer your question; definitely HW RAID-10.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Same thread at WHT?

• @cupid said: raid 10 are 2 set of raid 1 together for better performance, so sure raid 10 are much better then raid 1.

RAID 1 + RAID 0 = 10.

• @Kairus said: RAID 1 + RAID 0 = 10.

Most hardware providers would disagree. They say RAID 0 on top of RAID 1.

• Another good thing about hardware raid - it isn't up to your nodes processing power to determine
    where writes are going with raid0 (stripe of mirrors ). The raid card will handle all of this for you with
    processors specifically built to do this.

The CPU load is inconsequential on any relatively modern CPU. If you have a node running with such high CPU usage that a few percent puts you over the top, you have underlying problems to address.

• RAID 10 = A stripe of mirrors