Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows server 2012 r2 and Remote desktop
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows server 2012 r2 and Remote desktop

ahmiqahmiq Member
edited July 2015 in Help

Hello ,

I am sorry if my question is too stupid.

I have very little knowledge about how this would work so thought to ask here. So we have one server which has active directory and domain setup.

we installed another server and bought the Windows server 2012 r2 standard server licence for it.

After we put the server on the domain , and allowed the active users to authenticate to it , everything went well.

Today nobody could login through Remote desktop sessions because it said the there is a problem with the licence server on this machine. After researching i saw that , somehow to allow users to login via RD , there is a grace period of about 120 days or 90 days? and after that , some licence for RD needs to be installed.

My question is that , do we have to change some settings to activate this option or we need to buy some addon etc. and if another licence is required, what kind of licence do we need to purchase? We thought RDP sessions are included in the windows server 2012 r2 standard already.

Would be very thankful if someone could put me in the right direction for it.

Thanks alot.

Comments

• did you buy the license legit/get via provider? if by provider ask them to activate it. windows has no time limit only trial versions of windows have that.

• ahmiqahmiq Member

@TarZZ92 said:
    did you buy the license legit/get via provider? if by provider ask them to activate it. windows has no time limit only trial versions of windows have that.

Yes , actually the licence is legit and windows is already activated. It was working and suddenly it doesnt work anymore.

The error i am getting is:

• gtraxgtrax Member
    edited July 2015

@ahmiq said:
    Yes , actually the licence is legit and windows is already activated. It was working and
    suddenly it doesnt work anymore.

This is because you are using terminal services on that particular server. If you just need to RDP to the server, there is no need for terminal server licensing required. Do you have a lot of remote desktop users e.g +5 who need to RDP to the server?
    There can be a few way arounds just to get the RDP running but first make sure that you do not need terminal server licensing. As you may need to remove registry entries or stuff and rdp would work e.g :

Remove the following from registry
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSLicensing"

and after that if "licensing protocol error" is shown it means you are not running rdp client as administrator. Do that and you are on your way.

But tinkering with registry, will stop any MS terminal server licensing service, so first clear out any doubts.

** Also try using mstsc /admin to access the server remotely. But it will only allow two sessions in normal circumstances unless you are running a terminal service which give you more mstsc connection limit, which does have a grace period of 90-120 days if used free.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Because you just bought a license for the server, but not the CALs, you need the CALs for that.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited July 2015

gtrax said: ** Also try using mstsc /admin to access the server remotely. But it will only allow two sessions in normal circumstances unless you are running a terminal service which give you more mstsc connection limit, which does have a grace period of 90-120 days if used free.

you just copied and pasted that from MS forums. failing to read all of it! (specifically the CAL part)

gtrax said: Remove the following from registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSLicensing"
    But tinkering with registry, will stop any MS terminal server licensing service, so first clear out any doubts.

You have no idea what are you talking about. Just delete that registry from the client and run the first time mstsc as admin

• ahmiqahmiq Member

@netomx said:
    Because you just bought a license for the server, but not the CALs, you need the CALs for that.

Thanks alot. I guess we will ask our campus licence provider about CALs too.

Will update the thread on how it goes.

Thanked by 1netomx

@ahmiq said:
    Will update the thread on how it goes.

I hate MS for that. You will need CALs AND Windows licenses, too.

Thanked by 1ahmiq
  • ahmiqahmiq Member

Just to update ,

we bought 15 per user CAL's for the server. Did phone activation for the licence and everything works now.

Thanks alot for the help guys @netomx @TarZZ92

Thanked by 1netomx