Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moderation of comments on LEB - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Moderation of comments on LEB

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@vedran said: It always worked that way, we always had false reviews and "this host is bad" comments and it worked so far. If someone posts a comment like that they usually get asked for proof by the community itself, and if there is no proof provided the poster just sits there looking like an idiot.

I don't see the need for stricter moderation unless things get out of hand (and I don't think that happened yet).

Thanks.
    M

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I guess we all have different degrees of tolerance and that is expected, I think putting yourself in a hosts shoes may change a few opinions on it working fine right now though.

Bottom line, it is not a review site, it is not a support desk, if either are posted with the clear intent to harm or discredit without being backed up then they should be removed.

• There have been numerous times where anonymous comments/tips have helped uncover dirt on providers. I say there should be no changes to the system.

Also, I like seeing how a provider reacts to comments that are suspected of being fake, separates the men from the boys so to speak.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said: I do not think any kind of moderation to protect hosts will work.

my personal opinion is that these kind of comments like "This provider sucks!" is like graffiti on a wall. Totally out of place.
    If the comment had some type of explanation of WHY the provider sucks, then its better.

Like Anthony said, if someone should shouting outside your window that you suck and when asked why, the response would be the same ranting all over and over again.
    most of us would ignore it for awhile, thinking thats a "not so intelligent person" but after listening to the same repeating record, something might snap.

on the other hand, if moderation/removing "bad" oneliner comments, then in all fairness all "good" oneliners should also be removed.

Hence the discussion brought here ... to find out whats an acceptable level ?

edited November 2012

If it says just sucks, stay away, OR slow speeds, slow response time, unstable, stay away, where we do draw a line ?
    I think not opening the can of worms is the best approach. If someone were to shout at my window once, then i ignore it, if it happens more times, then it is against the law (disturbing public silence, dunno how to translate in english, there is a law here) and i call the police.
    If someone says this host sucks once, fine, ppl will ignore it anyway, if they say it 2 times, then that is spam and should be removed.
    We have the rules against that, no need to change anything IMO.
    M

• @MikHo said: WHT asks the people giving reviews about a provider for some types of proof that they actually have been or are using their services.

WHT uses intimidation in public, so if LET can request this info without making the request known in public, I don't care, but the intimidation tactics of WHT probably stifles enough that might have made a comment from not commenting at all.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

My honest feedback on your question, having not read the other comments yet.

Negative reviews can and do impact a host. There are plenty of people who will not read 6 pages, or even 1 whole page to determine if a review is fake. With that said, if they are willing to search for comments or reviews and take the first word seriously without following through to see if the comment or review was adequately disputed, I am alright with losing their business.

I believe moderation should be reserved for enforcing the rules currently in place and preventing spam. With spam I also count repetitive useless posts that bleed into every thread, like an argument between Randy & Dewlance, for example. Otherwise I believe that everything balances itself out naturally.

• Sure my ramblings on one unnamed naughty provider probably created the need for this group discussion :)

Handing IP info over to anyone for any reason is not a good idea. No one likes the tracking implication of that. Privacy issue, sure. The whole idea of IP's is a tracking problem from day one. Pushing that idea, storage, use will lead to folks proxy hiding and up the investment for liars and cheats.

If there is something to be concerned about it is screening the deals and enforcing the posting rules related to that. Seems like we have new providers slipping in here prematurely and we have those with proxified domains.

This site does it's fair share of good in chopping down fly-by-night operations and those who have disregard for customers. Honestly, we need more of it. Too many companies use this as a springboard and scam people in the process.

As long as the provider is allowed to respond to aggrieved party here, then it's an equal tit-for-tat playing field.

No change needed.

As for WHT. What they do over there ranges from idiotic to simply a big waste of time. Envy their post volume and traffic all you want, the site is user-wise inconsistent and heavy handed. I surely am in good company here with people given strikes on WHT for benign reasons. Don't emulate that part of their business :)

• unusedunused Member
    edited November 2012

What makes LET a great alternative to WHT and others is that hosts can come on here and say whatever the fuck they want. Why change the appeal?

@jarland said: I believe moderation should be reserved for enforcing the rules currently in place and preventing spam.

Exactly my idea. (Thanks)
    M

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited November 2012

LEB is very influential to a host rep. If I'm just a casual visitor, I'll look for posts with no negative comments. If I see "this host sucks", then I will think, there is a chance that this is true. And I will have some doubts, even if there is no proof. Even the doubt is small, I will just look for another post.

• @vedran said: It always worked that way, we always had false reviews and "this host is bad" comments and it worked so far. If someone posts a comment like that they usually get asked for proof by the community itself, and if there is no proof provided the poster just sits there looking like an idiot.

I don't see the need for stricter moderation unless things get out of hand (and I don't think that happened yet).

this.

• @jcaleb said: LEB is very influential to a host rep. If I'm just a casual visitor, I'll look for posts with no negative comments. If I see "this host sucks", then I will think, there is a chance that this is true. And I will have some doubts, even if there is no proof. Even the doubt is small, I will just look for another post.

I don't know. I've always felt LET is the cest pit. Kind of like hostloc. You wouldn't really use hosts mentioned for anything serious or if you did you wouldn't have any expectations. This seems to be validated by most threads.

• @unused said: You wouldn't really use hosts mentioned for anything serious or if you did you wouldn't have any expectations

then why bother investing time here?

• @miTgiB said: then why bother investing time here?

It's good entertainment.

• @unused said: I don't know. I've always felt LET is the cest pit. Kind of like hostloc. You wouldn't really use hosts mentioned for anything serious or if you did you wouldn't have any expectations. This seems to be validated by most threads.

I am talking about LEB, not LET. If I am not mistaken, posts in LEB generates so much more sales than posts in LET.

I beg to disagree. Sure there are many not good hosts advertising here, but if you spend some time and do your homework, you can find good hosts at good prices.

• @jcaleb said: I am talking about LEB, not LET. If I am not mistaken, posts in LEB generates so much more sales than posts in LET.

Ah, to be honest, I haven't ever really looked at LEB, my bad.

And sure, I don't disagree - there's a market here. And definitely interesting ideas what to do/how people are using "LEBs." but it is what it is, and that's the extreme low end of things.

IMHO, the unfiltered nature of LET is what's appealing- as opposed to the paid for/bought out nature of a site like WHT and the more generally clueless end user sites. I think it would be a real shame to moderate that away.

• @MikHo said: Providers should be able to "report" info to the moderators that they want to "warn" about.

Gonna keep a user blacklist like WHT too?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited November 2012

@bamn said: Gonna keep a user blacklist like WHT too?

We already do. Ever see an account that is banned?

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited November 2012

@Liam

How about making people confirm the e-mail for EVERY comment so comments cannot be spoofed.
    Because, who knows if it's legit when I reply to a comment with the provider's name telling them to "fuck off" when they say something negative.
    Also make the e-mail public, because [email protected] is different than some 10minutemail.com

• @Liam said: Additionally, if you're really not happy with a comment, send us a ticket and then we can analyse the comment and remove if neccesarcy (at least then it's logged).

This is enough

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited November 2012

@BronzeByte said: How about making people confirm the e-mail for EVERY comment so comments cannot be spoofed.

Edit: Nevermind yeah LEB. Honestly I'm sure if its some kind of an issue the provider should be able to handle it themselves on LEB.

@bamn said: Gonna keep a user blacklist like WHT too?

Now this is a perfect example of grabbing a small part from something bigger and blowing it out of proportion.

If you would have UNDERSTOOD what I wrote; I was asking what if the provider comes with information to LEB staff about DDOS:ers and asking to check if there are comments by this user. Not that LEB or LET should keep a record of "bad" or "good" users.

(I was waiting for the first DRAMA post)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@AnthonySmith said: This is part of the problem, these few who may (assuming it is not a pure troll) take service on a 96mb VPS, try to install cPanel then start swearing at a host and open a paypal charge back all in the same hour period because 20 minutes after purchase they "cannot log in to the :2086 site" then come to LEB and write a novel about how crap a host is.

This is totally wrong and should be moderated.

Then you have the trolls like the one I recently had who was using the VPS to DDOS other people, gets caught and terminated and then makes up a name and starts bashing you.

Again totally wrong and should be moderated.

No it should not be. You have all rights to explain own view, experience.. and this is it. Because the route you go is that whatever you personally feel unfair, incorrect, etc.. should be moderated. Just because you personally (it's always personally!) feel that someting witten isn't really true this doesn't mean that it should be moderated - it should be responded and explained just the way you do (and you're doing it great).

LEB started as informational resources/research site about cheap low end boxes for us, potential clients. Now it seems like merely advertisement opportunity for hosts and this brings here and there of course some little problems - for hosts. I know, it would be nice if you would be able only to advantage, only to profit from LEB but things won't be always perfect, just like in real life... so take all pluses and minuses doing business here and live with them. There's alternative but so far I didn't see any comment from host that they don't want to be featured at LEB so things aren't that bad, correct?

@vedran said: It always worked that way, we always had false reviews and "this host is bad" comments and it worked so far. If someone posts a comment like that they usually get asked for proof by the community itself, and if there is no proof provided the poster just sits there looking like an idiot.

Exactly.

Talking about IPs, verification and stuff.. is just nonsense. It's just freakin blog/forum and hosts shouldn't be higher authority than rest of community. And moderation? Yes of course, if there's really SPAM lets remove it. But just because someone don't like some comment, either being good or completely dumb, removing this isn't moderation.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@MikHo said: I was asking what if the provider comes with information to LEB staff about DDOS:ers and asking to check if there are comments by this user.

What then? Is LEB staff legal authority? What if the provider comes with information to LEB staff about sexual relationship of some member with teenage girl? Or about selling drugs? What then? Do you really want to deal with this and make it your blog problem? There are things which aren't part of this blog and you (I don't mean you personally, of course) should know the limits.

@MikHo said: I was asking what if the provider comes with information to LEB staff about DDOS:ers and asking to check if there are comments by this user.

You can be nice guy and direct this provider to legal authorities, give him informational urls.. where to send those informations, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support ddos, causing damage, etc.. in any form. Also I don't try to troll you - I respect your contribution to this community. What I am trying to tell you is that putting yourself in role of judge of someones private life misdeeds unrelated to blog can be very problematic role.

@Spirit i mentioned ddos as this type of cooperation has been done in the past.
    Which has been discussed here on LET.

• @Dionysus said: Why do you always end your posts with 'M'? We all know you're Maounique..

Francisco always ends his post with Francisco

• LEB shouldn't be playing police officer or sleuth unless it is them that is being impacted directly.

When the DDoS happened here, pooling resources from providers and networks made sense. Those details being so public weren't probably a good idea.

All the providers that are butthurt about review need to just respond professionally and move on when someone posts negatives. Much of the complaints falls into two categories: 1. The provider isn't being helpful or doesn't know what they are doing or 2. The user is out of their league and shouldn't be fidgeting with a VPS.

Most people researching will take the time to determine if the complaint is real and if the participants are credible or just insane and thus disregard.

edited November 2012

Well, if it bothers you, I will try to stop. Nothing i particularly care about, it's a habit from another site.

• @Maounique said: Well, if it bothers you, I will try to stop.

I woudn't bother; if the worse someone can fault you for is an M at the end of your post, then i'd say there's nothing to be concerned about.

This discussion has been closed.