Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared Hosting Still a Thing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared Hosting Still a Thing?

Is shared hosting still profitable? I've been contemplating adding the service (I provided shared hosting many many years ago) I just don't want to end up getting in over my head and also want to make sure that its would really be worth it in the long run.

Comments

• wychwych Member

Depends what shared hosting you plan on selling... the world for $1/year then no.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited July 2015

It might be worth your while to sign up with one or two of the best providers and see what you get. That's what users will be expecting, and what you'll need to provide. 24/7 support may require extra staff, so it would be difficult to start small. I only have user experience with shared so this is just a couple of thoughts. :)

• It can be profitable if you have sensible plans.

• k0nslk0nsl Member

I would say that it depends very much on what kind of clientèle you attract..

• I think it is still a thing but I have to agree with others - sign up for an account or two and see what the customer experience is like. 'sensible plans' is one part of the equation but the other part is finding enough customers to make your plans make sense.

• VPSSoldiers said: Is shared hosting still profitable?

Shared hosting will almost always be profitable. There is a huge market of people who don't care to run their own servers. They just want to pay for a website that "works" and let someone else manage the background services.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

Today, almost any one setup a small website / blog. Most of them, do not know kow to handle a server, just how to setup a small WP site. In top of that, many computer technisians that have a few clients who wants in addition to service, a small web site, will use shared hosting to avoid time used for maintenance.
    So, for local market mostly, there is a huge demand for shared hosting.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2015

For selling shared hosting you need a good website with 1000 word contents and images.. Tell everything on one page and impress your visitor to purchase your plan.

Hosting plan will be profitable If you open a diary and make a plan which can be profitable for you.