Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Connection question. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Connection question.

2»

Comments

• Ole_Juul said: You can't be serious.

It's not about the A or W. It's about the reliability. Because home power supply in our country isn't reliable. Imagine a natural cause. Most enterprise DC do have many backup options for such cases.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited July 2015

sdglhm said: It's not about the A or W. It's about the reliability. Because home power supply in our country isn't reliable. Imagine a natural cause. Most enterprise DC do have many backup options for such cases.

So I learn something. I didn't know where you live. We've had almost a day of no power this winter because of ice on the lines and I'm in a rural area. I do have a generator if I need it, but I honestly didn't think that anywhere else could be even close to as bad as here. Apart from once or twice a year when it's down for half an hour, the downtime is generally only a few minutes. I consider that almost intolerable. For the 50 years I lived in the city (Vancouver) before this, we wouldn't have an outage every year and never anything over a few seconds. Perhaps too, in the 60s and 70s we were rich in infrastructure but we've gotten very poor - at least here in Canada. Power outages really shouldn't be happening at all in a (so called) developed country.

• I'm living in Sri Lanka. And we do have power outages even once a month.

• WHTWHT Member

Power is not a problem here. Last outage was 5 years ago for 15 min only.

• @WHT said:

May I ask why you'd prefer home hosting rather than renting a server?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@WHT said:

Same here in London. Does it mean we should now remove UPS plant and generators to save a few £?

• Umcookies said: May I ask why you'd prefer home hosting rather than renting a server?

Maybe he or she doesn't feel comfortable with SSH?

• WHT said: Did they kick you out?

Yes.

The UPC SLA is also bogus, as pretty much everything is excluded:

Wartungsarbeiten und sonstige betriebsnotwendige Arbeiten

sowie Netzausfälle und Netzstörungen oder andere unvorhersehbare und von UPC Business
    nicht zu vertretende Ereignisse können zu unvermeidbaren Unterbrechungen bei der
    Erbringung der Dienste führen und berechtigen UPC Business, Leistungen vorübergehend
    nicht zu erbringen
    . Ein ununterbrochener Betrieb kann nicht garantiert werden und ist nicht
    geschuldet.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • @Ole_Juul said:
    Maybe he or she doesn't feel comfortable with SSH?

Possible, but there's plenty of ways around that. However I'm still curious.

• WHT said:

Its a forum (vbulletin) + a image upload download site.

Yes it'll be enough. Image hosting sites are generally considered low quality traffic by advertisers so your earnings won't be that great compared to other types of sites. So you want to go for cheap hosting for such a site. A large VPS or cheap dedi will do. And use nginx.

• WHTWHT Member

@William said:
    geschuldet.
    @William said:
    geschuldet.

Hmmm thank you. Changed my mind. Am searching for colo in AT but its not cheap. Any recomandations? Thanks man.