Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would be a great dedi for Gaming Community?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would be a great dedi for Gaming Community?

raysmtaraysmta Member

What would be the maximum specs for a gaming community,
Like a Dedicated Server. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• namhuynamhuy Member

what is your budget

• I am not buying any, soon maybe I just want to know what would be the best specs?
    Maybe, around $20-50/mo

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

How long is a piece of string?

For $20 - $50 /month you won't get much in terms of a dedi. Weather or not its suitable for your gaming community, that would depend on the community would it not?

Hard to answer this.

• edited July 2015

Contact Delimiter ( @MarkTurner )

You'll be needing something like e3 with SSD. Ram around 8GB or higher. Internet connectivity must be a good one with low ping to your location.

• servdiscount.com
    For 20€/22$ I just grabbed a dedicated with an i5 2400S, 6GB DDR3, 2x 1TB HDD, unlimited traffic @ 1GBit in Germany.

• MarkTurner said: there is this offer:

2 x Quad Core L5520 Xeon

8GB RAM
    120GB SSD
    1 IPv4
    /64 IPv4
    10TB Bandwidth
    Dedicated KVM (HP Lights Out) with full graphical KVM, virtual media
    Dedicated Power control (power on/off/reset as required)
    OS: Centos, Ubuntu, Scientific Linux, Fedora, Debian, FreeBSD, etc
    Unmanaged
    $29/month

• i7-47xxK would be be ideal, I guess

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited July 2015

@TheLonely said:
    https://www.soyoustart.com/en/ is pretty decent.

Recommended, Gaming communities are notorious for being hit with DDoS. You choose a provide that offers no protection, you're screwed.

• @nexmark said:
    Recommended, Gaming communities are notorious for being hit with DDoS. You choose a provide that offers no protection, you're screwed.

Valid point. However, avoid this provider if you have to deal with their Dutch customer service. They suck and are arrogant.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

Have you any idea on what the server will run ?

A good way to start might be to check applications minimum specs on the software's website/s.

• E3s and the single E5s (1620/1650 etc) are generally quite good for gaming as they have good single threaded performance, SSDs would certainly be beneficial as well.

What specs you could actually get depends on your budget and where you purchase from, though I'd also recommend DDoS Protection for game servers.

• @rahulks

Terrible idea. OP needs a good fast server, not old and slow

OP needs a E3 CPU or e5 1620 v2 As @WSCallum said.

• Make sure you get a DDoS protected server. Gaming communities are notorious for being hit with DDoS from competitors.

As for the CPU, go for a newer E3. An SSD or SSD-cached setup wouldn't hurt, either, but it depends on what you can afford