Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN Question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN Question

jcalebjcaleb Member
edited November 2012 in General

Please bear with my ignorance. But what is the difference between subscribing to a VPN service, versus getting a VPS and installing OpenVPN etc. Is there an advantage when subscribing to VPN service?

Comments

• @jcaleb said: Is there an advantage when subscribing to VPN service?

It's managed by someone else? A team.

• VPN service offers less value for the money in many cases. They often keep logs of connections, and speed is shared in many cases.

A VPS with a 100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps connection on a well peered network would give you the best bang for your buck, and ensure there won't be sporadic speed bottle necks.

Also, unless you get a static VPN IP, the IP will be shared across numerous users. Often times spammers who utilize programs like Xrumer / Scrapebox. These IPs are often seen as very risky / the scum of the internet, and often get blocked from many services from the get-go, Facebook & Paypal to name a few.

Advantages of subscribing to a VPN service... Less setup? Can offer locations where VPS servers would be more expensive.

Just my opinion.

• Thank you concerto49 and Kris. I just thought there might be a lot of addons from VPN service that I am missing. Currently, I just use one of my 128mb yearly vps and it works with hulu.

• chinmoychinmoy Member
    edited November 2012

@jcaleb said: I just thought there might be a lot of addons from VPN service that I am missing

Nah, You are not missing anything except you can switch to and from multiple countries when using a vpn service provider. If you are using a vpn service you can select US for Spotify/Hulu etc. and UK when you need BBC iPlayer.

• That I dont know before, thanks!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

You will always get better service from a VPS.
    The downsides are that you are in a fixed location and have to install it yourself.
    Other than that, VPS rocks, get a low memory/space one and will be about 1 Eur a month. Few VPNs cost that little.
    M

• Yes, low mem and space, and around 100gb bw for watching

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I think budgetvm has an offer for 1 dollar a month. I gave erawan a shell so he can test speeds there, ask him to share :)
    M

• thanks M