Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coders Block????
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Coders Block????

Code018Code018 Member
edited November 2012 in General

Does anyone ever get this? How do you deal with it? Does it affect your mood and ability to deal with other problems/issues?

Comments

• Come back later. Try to relax / do something else. Think of it from a different angle. Happens all the time.

• All the time.

Sometimes just trying a different project gets those juices flowing. In the worst case, though, it takes determination, alcohol and trance music turned up far too loud.

• Tried that, been almost a full month now.... I just can't find the motivation.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited November 2012

Once I get it this is what I do:

1. Go to the fridge
    2. Realize I forgot to go shopping and I only have milk and chocolate syrup
    3. Make Chocolate milk (delicious!)
    4. Go use the restroom (or lavatory)
    5. Go back to the fridge
    6. Remember Step 2
    7. Go back on the computer
    8. Go on LET

(infinity). Start Coding again.

• +1 For chocolate Milk.

I think my problem started when my job became coding, I have been unable to finish any of my personal projects, let alone work on any websites. Anyone else in this same predicament?

• @Code018: Oh don't get me started on that.

When I decided to try freelance web designing it was horrible. Before it was a ton of fun and designing websites was just an awesome fun hobby. Then once it became work I just disliked it (kind of why I stopped)

• @HalfEatenPie said: When I decided to try freelance web designing it was horrible. Before it was a ton of fun and designing websites was just an awesome fun hobby. Then once it became work I just disliked it (kind of why I stopped)

What's your current job now?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited November 2012

Senior in College as a Civil Engineer (totally non-technical related I know haha)

• @HalfEatenPie

I think I want to be a chef. I never realized how much I missed cooking for people.

• @Code018: Cooking is an awesome relaxing thing for me. How awesome is it to take something really basic/simple ingredients and to make delicious things! Unfortunately I don't really have too much time due to my schedules.

Also, I personally don't enjoy washing pans after I cook.

• Ha ha, I hate cooking for myself. But I will cook for others.

Washing pans is the worse part, that's why I cook for others. They do it :D

• @Code018: Exactly. Just saying "I'll cook, you clean" does the trick.

But, going back on topic here (instead of a HalfEatenPie IAMA)...

Having good music really helps. Honestly (I know it sounds pretty nerdy) listening to soundtracks helps. Either movies or video games. Inception is a good one, so is Halo series.

• Maybe that's what is missing... I haven't listened to music in over a month.... and Netflix just gets old after so long...

• Music is a must for me when I'm coding.

Besides for soundtracks though I also listen to classical music which is just awesome in general.

• Everyone has this, especially on personal/side projects that end up taking a week longer then you planned... You just get tired of it, and lose interest.

Besides what @HalfEatenPie mentioned, exercise really helps! (Go for a walk/run/bike).

Other than that, I've always gotten inspiration while reading others code, or thought to myself "I can do this better"... Which usually jump starts my brain.
    I find myself once every couple of days looking at the top starred/forked projects on Github (in my chosen language) just to find inspiration and to continue learning.

• Hipster cat! I'll never get tired of seeing that avatar @telephone!

Definitely forgot exercise! (I go running almost every other day). Although I didn't know that about Github! (again awesome!)

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Just code, you are not teenage girl to have moods :)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Few things to try, after you've tried the above things:

• StayFocusd or LeechBlock to block out browser-based distractions
    • Pomodoro technique
    • A more extreme method: force yourself to close everything on your computer except for your development tools (editor, etc.). Open some code that you're working on, and just leave it open for 10 minutes and stare at it. Don't allow yourself to do anything in those 10 minutes, not even working on the code. Just stare at it for 10 minutes and see what happens.
  • @Zen said: @HalfEatenPie said: Music is a must for me when I'm coding.

Same here, but I find that if I listen to MY music (as in, music i've collected), I tend to get bored with it and start disconnecting from my project, So I listen to the radio, either electromagnetic or internet, and find that helps out quite a bit.

Another issue is that I used to code with my laptop, sitting on my couch in my living room with my wife. My wife would frequently do something like "OMFG LOOK AT THIS THING ON PINTEREST!" or "I SENT YOU A LINK YOU SHOULD LOOK AT IT" which was messing up my process. So now I code in a small extra room in our house.

• @Damian: Yeah I realized that pandora helps out a ton (especially since if I was listening to My music I'd have to set up a playlist and once that ends (even if its a 4 hour playlist) then suddenly concentration is -gone-.