Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New iPads?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New iPads?

BrandonBrandon Member
edited November 2012 in General

Has anyone got their hands on any of the new iPads? If so, what are your thoughts so far? I'm in the market for a tablet and trying to decide on one. Just to make it clear, I am not limited to Apple and will explore ALL options.

Comments

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited November 2012

I personally have a Toshiba Thrive and think its decent for the price I got it for (250, it was refurbished).

But... this has nothing to do with an iPad because I don't have one.

Therefore, I'll just leave you alone and act like I didn't comment on this thread.

• I bought one of the authentic paper ones. Battery life is great :) Can tear pages out and use a pen too.

Quit chasing the desirable fashionistas.

As much as I hate to say it, Android. Root the damn thing, which ever one. Latest Nexus 7 looks rather nifty. For the price of an Apple could probably buy three Nexus 7's. Which I prefer since these devices get dropped, kicked, scratched and abused every day.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Should have my 4th gen iPad next week. From what I'm hearing so far it's what the 3rd gen should have been. The chipset performs better at the resolution, specifically. Other than that its the same old device, just a window to the App Store, which is still the best app market around. Maybe not tomorrow, but still today.

• I never liked the feel and build quality of the Nexus 7.

• @jarland said: Other than that its the same old device, just a window to the App Store, which is still the best app market around.

I saw the iFixit tear downs and it's nearly identical! Only changes are the proc and camera?

• Yeah Asus stuff is hit or miss.

I love eating last generation equipment :) Rooting it and breaking it and making it do things it never would have otherwise.

Apple's locked down control stance is good, but annoying. Open is nice cause when obsolete or tired, still have a useful machine for modding.

@Brandon Yeah, from what I'm hearing it feels exactly like a fix for the iPad 3. But the CPU is pretty darn nice. It's a good tablet, no doubt.

• I have a Nexus 7 now and it's pretty good. I'd suggest taking a look at the Nexus 10 since it looks a little more promising.

• At the risk of being stuck firmly in 2011, take a look at the TouchPad if you don't need anything beyond browsing and video.

A great tablet for browsing and video, especially with the CM10 port. And webOS isn't half bad either.. sometimes.

@ihatetonyy Sooo bulky and slow lol

• @jarland said: Sooo bulky and slow lol

Don't knock it until you try it! CM10 screams on it and N64 emulation isn't half bad if you fiddle with the settings a bit.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Have the iPad 3 currently, tempted to get the 4 just for the A6 speed :P

• I had an iPad2 for a couple weeks, didn't really see the point.

Was it 'neat'? You bet.

Was it practical? I didn't really think so.

I can't afford 'neat' things, I need them to be practical too. So I sold it. This new iPad, what does it do other than be smaller than the original?

Looks neat, but until they make them good enough to replace a standard laptop or netbook I'll stick with my laptop ;)

• Oh my please don't remind me of the TouchPads...

My budget is pretty flexible and looking for a tablet that I can use for entertainment and school (text books).

• @MannDude said: Looks neat, but until they make them good enough to replace a standard laptop or netbook I'll stick with my laptop ;)

I think that's coming soon after what Microsoft did with the surface.

• @Brandon: Honestly if you're going to use it for class/school the iPad is great with the software for PDF/eTextbooks and note taking. There are also apps out there for Android but in my opinion haven't really been as good/polished as the ones for the iPad.

Entertainment wise, I can't really say a tablet is a good choice (I don't use my tablet for entertainment, its more of convenience.)

• @HalfEatenPie said: There are also apps out there for Android but in my opinion haven't really been as good/polished as the ones for the iPad.

Aldiko is great for ebooks/textbooks/etc, provided you've removed the DRM on them.

edited November 2012

@MannDude said: I can't afford 'neat' things, I need them to be practical too. So I sold it. This new iPad, what does it do other than be smaller than the original?

My experience is that people who feel this way usually aren't patient enough to ask the question "How can it do what I need it to do?" A mobile device is different than a PC, and in my opinion should be. My iPad has Microsoft Office, SSH, VNC, RDP, VPN, and some sick games that benefit from the latest models because I enjoy gaming on it. It's not jailbroken. If your mobile device has to allow you to do things the way you did them on the PC, the good old fashioned way, I don't see that as industry progress, just a portable gimmick. We need to shake up the industry, not repackage it. That said, everyone should buy what they enjoy, obviously. I just like to encourage people to break outside of their comfort zones and embrace new ways to do old things. It's fun to do, if nothing else. Getting the iPad to be what it is to me today took me a few months. I wanted a challenge.

@ihatetonyy said: Don't knock it until you try it! CM10 screams on it and N64 emulation isn't half bad if you fiddle with the settings a bit.

It's been a while but last time I used one it just felt so laggy. Maybe a software update fixed it.

• @HalfEatenPie said: Honestly if you're going to use it for class/school the iPad is great with the software for PDF/eTextbooks and note taking.

Yeah this is really one of the big factors for me.

• @ihatetonyy: I'd have to try that. I have ezPDF Reader to read my ebooks/textbooks/pdf files and its VERY nice (the Pro version). But note taking is another beast.

I have Quill (the app) for the note taking app but its not that... I feel like well made. I also use Evernote with the Sketch addon but it just feels like MS Paint.

• @HalfEatenPie said: But note taking is another beast.

Aldiko lets you add in short notes, but it's not geared towards longer ones. Like a true luddite, I usually just write notes on paper.

• @ihatetonyy: Sounds like it might be exactly what I need. I've been trying to find a decent app for note taking but it just all been just "ok".

Wait is this for Android or iPad?

• @HalfEatenPie said: Wait is this for Android or iPad?

Aldiko's for Android. They go over the note stuff here.

• Oh its actual typing? I meant using a stylus to write it down.

• Ah, I've got nothing then.

• Ipad Mini looked cool and I wanted to get it at first.......

That was until I found out it has the piss poor 163 PPI screen.

Ipad Mini with a "retina" display will come out in June anyway.........I can wait.

• Got an iPad 3 atm, and I'm so mad with Apple for releasing a new iPad so soon!

I'm sticking with my iPad 3 though and will be getting an Mac Mini as a Xmas present for myself :P

• @NateN34 said: Ipad Mini looked cool and I wanted to get it at first.......

That was until I found out it has the piss poor 163 PPI screen.

Ipad Mini with a "retina" display will come out in June anyway.........I can wait.

I got a Mini, no issues with the screen - I guess if you previously had a retina screen iPad it might upset you, but I've found it absolutely fine so far.

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited November 2012

Yeah when I was looking at the Mini up close, I couldn't really see any differences in quality. This is in terms to the screen in conparison to the latest iPad.