Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blacklist checking - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Blacklist checking

Comments

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

I gave it a shot, but I ran into errors. This is what I got "PHP Notice: Undefined variable: ipcheck.php on line 49

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

I had to get sendmail installed to see the response, but it seems that it will say that there are blacklisted IP or there are not blacklisted ip, but it doesn't say how many it scanned or it doesn't tell which ip are actually blacklisted. Then again it could be something wrong on my end.

• I will take a look twomorrow

• I have done some testing, the issue lies with

Undefined variable: listed in ****************/ipcheck.php on line 49

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

Installing sendmail fixed that for us. We had used minstall. Or so I think. I dunno I'm tired :P

• Yep I know what it is I zipped the old version. Will put the other one up twomorrow

• Like I said more features coming also

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2012

@24khost said: @KuJoe how long did that other one take?

Do you use the dedicated ip field in whmcs?

I don't know exactly how long it took but it was well over 6 hours to check 2 /22 subnets against 80-90 blacklists. I probably should move the script to a server that doesn't do a lot of processing (munin is a beast).

It does not use the dedicated IP field in WHMCS because that's not very useful, I want it to check all of the IPs our clients use not just the "main IP". We have some clients with 60-90 IPs across 3-5 VPSs so checking only 3-5 IPs out of the 60-90 doesn't make much sense to me.

• there's something better a provider can do, that just checking rbl after having their ip space reputation trashed. Subscribe to spam feedback loops.

ie this is for msn/hotmail/live.com

but there are similar programs for yahoo etc.

• @KuJoe Does it use the assigned ip's for the holding of those ip's?

@24khost said: @KuJoe Does it use the assigned ip's for the holding of those ip's?

I'm not sure what you mean. The script posted above uses a file to get the list of IPs.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@24khost What license is your script released under? (ref)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Jacob said: You all just ignored my comment.

Sorry I didn't intend to, thanks for the tip. For how much time I spend on here talking about things that are entirely insignificant to the purpose, you wouldn't think I'm as busy as I am. Spamcop's website hurts my eyes, couldn't immediately find what you were referring to and then I forgot. Thanks for the direct link, I'll check it out.

• @KuJoe In whmcs there is a field that called assigned ip's

• @joepie91 No license.

@24khost Ok that makes more sense but still not ideal.

• @KuJoe Well I am developing first one for whmcs database. Then I will modify it use a list for anybody else who wants it.

• @KuJoe we also want to add Client Name and such so that the output will give you any blacklisted ip's and who they are assigned to. How many ip's were checked. I am sure there is more that can be added this is just the start of it.

• I am going to add seperate config file soon also

@24khost said: @joepie91 No license.

So that means noone can use, reproduce, improve or modify it. See also the reference I gave.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited November 2012

I might change license as nothing is set in stone yet.

@joepie91 haven't released much software. What license do you think would be good. How about creative commons?

edited November 2012

@24khost said: @joepie91 haven't released much software. What license do you think would be good. How about creative commons?

It depends on what you want, but I'd recommend a software-specific license, as they usually give you more fine-grained control and more clarity specifically for software (such as distinguishing between usage of binaries and usage of source). If you want all derivatives to be under the same or compatible license forcefully (copyleft, similar to Creative Commons Share-Alike) you'll want GPL. If the requirement is attribution (similar to Creative Commons Attribution), you'll want to look at BSD or MIT. If you really don't give a shit about what people do with it (similar to public domain, but internationally possible), look at the WTFPL or optionally CC0.

Disclaimer: IANAL. I personally always use the WTFPL, simply because I hate dealing with licensing and legal mumbo-jumbo, and the WTFPL doesn't throw a pile of legal mumbo-jumbo on someones plate.

• @joepie91 wtf is wtfpl? link for that one?

@24khost said: @joepie91 wtf is wtfpl? link for that one?

It was in fact already a link, but here's what I linked it to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTFPL :)

• That sounds good joepie91 That is what will be in the next version!

• How did you get on with this?

We use a script that pulls IP's directly from SolusVM instead of WHMCS and passing them to around 30 sbl/rbl's. using net_dnsbl.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2012

We just registered our netblocks with spamcop and they notify us every hour if there are any spamtraps hit by our address space. And they also send us a summary once a day.

edit: i mean spamcop.net

Wow, I really need to setup a cron for this. The only time I remember to manually run the script is when I see this thread. :X

• Well since not everybody uses soulusvm, I was writing it for a system that can work with what 90% of the industry uses.

• @24khost - it wasn't a dig, sorry :) The reason we didn't go with WHMCS is that not all IP's in use on a VPS will necessarily be listed. Doing it via SolusVM ensures you get every IP that is in use..well, as long as nothing has screwed up.