Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ubuntu distributions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ubuntu distributions

bboranbboran Member
edited November 2011 in Help

hello i am going to buy a vps plan from a provider but i wonder which ubuntu (i will use ubuntu) distro should i use for my vps and why? my vps provider supports ; 10.04 lts, 10.10, 11.04 and 11.10.

my specs are;
512mb ram
20 gb storage
200 gb bw

thanks.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Are you sure about the 11.10 comment? 11.10 requires a custom setup to even work properly.

It comes down to what do you want more - long term support & fully tested software, or bleedy edge?

• I want the most secured one also with less problems.

10.04 is long term support, meaning it'll be updated for the next 5+ years and likely the best way to go :)

Francisco

• Thank you very much Francisco.

• i second that option. Go for the 10.04 LTS (lucid) version of any ubuntu distro to minimize the needs to get kernel fixes and updates that might screw your server functionality. Usually the updates to LTS version is proven workable fixes as compared to the versions that receives incremental updates like 11.04 and 11.10 .

• Thank you cripperz.

• @Francisco said: 11.10 requires a custom setup to even work properly.

Can you tell more this?

• meaning it'll be updated for the next 5+ years

You know how many times I've heard that over the years only to have support dropped 6-12 months down the road? If that long?

Heck, the only company that I can think of right off that I've had to deal with that kept to their promise is shudder Microsoft and WinXP.

• Im still using XP in our office, gotta say its still my favourite version of Windows.. Even if Windows does suck.

If ME still had support i would go back to that :(

• @VMport said: If ME still had support i would go back to that :( <

you gotta be kidding rite, WIN ME is one of the suckiest win 98 native out there.

• i also want to ask that if it is safe to use ufw for my vps's firewall as i am a linux newbie and want to easily configure iptables.

• bboran, take a look at csf. Installing it is as easy -> http://configserver.com/free/csf/install.txt and when you use webmin, it has a webmin addon that you can manage your csf through webmin. Very straight forward and detailed description of each option they provide.

• i dont want to use a panel.

• csf can also be configured via its conf file. just check through. by default it is enabled to cover most ports except the core services like ssh, bind etc. Configuring ufw directly for a beginner is really not recommended. csf is easier way around for having a firewall comes login failure daemon in your linux.

@tux said: Can you tell more this?

11.10 doesn't work properly on OpenVZ and init will sit there inf. looping. Ubuntu made some big hoopla about how they will make no effort to support OpenVZ at all.

We were able to get around that issue but that's a secret ;)

Francisco

• Ubuntu has expressed their interest in supporting KVM instead of xen nor openvz in their wiki page - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenVZ . Though you will not be affected much with xen since its a fully virtualize platform, in openvz dont expect things to just work especially when its a new released templates.

• @drmike said: You know how many times I've heard that over the years only to have support dropped 6-12 months down the road? If that long?

Ubuntu hasn't been around as long as Microsoft, but they've supported their releases as they've said they would. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases I was running 8.04 Desktop on one of my old machines until it EOL'd back in April. They've also announced that they'll support the 12.04 release for 5 years on Server AND Desktop